PDA

View Full Version : Autopower Rollbar.

gfrg88
11-12-2011, 08:50 AM
Has anyone used them? I'm really thinking about getting the "race" rollbar. It also says to call them so they can make one that's NHRA approved.

Any opinions? Need some feedback..

gfrg88
11-12-2011, 08:52 AM
http://www.ioportracing.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=60440&Category_Code=AP440

http://www.ioportracing.com/images/product/rb-race.jpg

DBMaster
11-12-2011, 11:02 AM
Why would you need such a thing?

gfrg88
11-12-2011, 11:32 AM
Safety? Would you prefer I bolt a harness down to floor like most kids do?

I need a roll bar for drag strip, too.

DBMaster
11-12-2011, 02:51 PM
I guess I didn't realize you were actually using it for the track. That makes sense now. Sorry.

gfrg88
11-12-2011, 04:59 PM
It's all good. I'm not getting it for looks. I would love to have one built in the car; and have it nicely tucked real tight, so it's not as noticeable. Too much money though!

89T
11-12-2011, 05:00 PM
http://swracecars.com/

The bolt in cages are easy to install, but after alot reading on them. They dont seem as safe as you may think. There are stories of bolts shearing off, aswell as the bars themselves punching through the floors. There are afew stories of the company you stated.

gfrg88
11-13-2011, 07:27 AM
Yes. I've heard the horror stories. My plan was to make the bases bigger, thicker. I think if they make Myra compliant ones, that's what they do.. I would still kill to have one made in car....

DBMaster
11-13-2011, 07:47 AM
You need to consult with "Lostforawhile." He's the king of metal work. I would think if you welded a little extra sheet metal at the mounting points that might help, too.

Hopefully, you will never have to find out if the roll cage "works." :)

cygnus x-1
11-13-2011, 09:09 AM
When doing a cage you really need to reinforce the attachment points to the body. The purpose of the cage is to distribute (rollover) crash force throughout the rest of the body so that it doesn't concentrate in one area (the roof) and crush it. Adding thick reinforcement plates that are significantly larger than the tube bases is a good start. You would also want to pick attachment points where there is a lot of surrounding metal that is in "layers" or has a lot of structure around it. Large flat open areas are bad (like floor pans). Areas with lots of bends around it are better.

C|

lostforawhile
11-13-2011, 09:33 AM
the reinforcement plates under the floor pans will go a long way, the floor sheet metal is not anywhere near thick enough in stock form, have you considered getting one of these bolt in cages, adding all the reinforcements, and then having someone weld it up in the car? it would be a heck of a lot stronger then just being bolted in. Whatever you do don't do what another unnamed member here did and make a cage out of exhaust tubing :omg:

gfrg88
11-14-2011, 09:56 AM
Yes, planned on welding it in.. and hell no!! That Guy is :rice:

charliekuney
11-15-2011, 09:45 AM
He may not have aesthetic taste in his cars' modifications, but he damn well knows what he's doing.

gfrg88
11-15-2011, 01:41 PM
Riiiight! Any smart person that knows what they are doing build roll cages out of exhaust tubing! :rolleyes:

lostforawhile
11-15-2011, 04:05 PM
He may not have aesthetic taste in his cars' modifications, but he damn well knows what he's doing.

do you have any idea what would happen to him if he wrecks? exhaust tubing has no structural strength, none whatsoever, it bends and twists, basically it becomes a people cage in a wreck to keep him from getting out of the car. Roll cages are normally made out of something like chromealloy, i tried to warn him but he refuses to listen to anyone, just because it looks nice doesn't mean it's safe, if he hits something hard enough the tubing will probably end up killing him, he took a car which was actually pretty safe and made it a deathtrap

charliekuney
11-15-2011, 09:20 PM
Riiiight! Any smart person that knows what they are doing build roll cages out of exhaust tubing! :rolleyes:

...yet you wanted to buy a peel-and-stick cage off the interwebs?

gfrg88
11-15-2011, 09:47 PM
Yupp. The materials to make it my own.. or I to I magically make em appear? Don't we buy 90% of our shits from the interwebz? :rolleyes:

lostforawhile
11-15-2011, 10:38 PM
...yet you wanted to buy a peel-and-stick cage off the interwebs?do you know anything about roll cages? peel and stick?

cygnus x-1
11-16-2011, 11:23 AM
Theoretically I suppose you could make a cage out of exhaust tubing, and have it be as strong as a proper roll cage. It's just that by the time you added enough extra tubing for strength, you wouldn't be able to get in it. The other problem with exhaust tubing is that is has much lower crush strength than something like 1.5" x 0.120" DOM tubing. So while it may withstand a fairly large distributed load, an impact that causes a dent will weaken the tubing significantly and likely cause it to buckle.

You don't have to use chromoly either. There are lots of cages built with regular mild steel, either DOM or even rolled tubing. It just depends on the level of protection needed, vehicle weight, race rules, etc.. Some info here:

http://www.ioportracing.com/faq/rollbar.htm

C|

lostforawhile
11-16-2011, 05:15 PM
Theoretically I suppose you could make a cage out of exhaust tubing, and have it be as strong as a proper roll cage. It's just that by the time you added enough extra tubing for strength, you wouldn't be able to get in it. The other problem with exhaust tubing is that is has much lower crush strength than something like 1.5" x 0.120" DOM tubing. So while it may withstand a fairly large distributed load, an impact that causes a dent will weaken the tubing significantly and likely cause it to buckle.

You don't have to use chromoly either. There are lots of cages built with regular mild steel, either DOM or even rolled tubing. It just depends on the level of protection needed, vehicle weight, race rules, etc.. Some info here:

http://www.ioportracing.com/faq/rollbar.htmI just like chromaloy, you can't beat the strength for the weight, we build all of our airframes out of it, when you crash a tube and fabric airplane and the tubing frame stays in decent enough shape to let you walk away, that says a lot.

C|

lostforawhile
11-16-2011, 05:17 PM
completely made out of chromaloy tubing, and fabric covering, no tube bigger then what you might find in a bike, no injuries, pilot and passenger walked away, all in the strength of the tube and in one hell of a welder who I know personally

http://www.salem-news.com/stimg/may172009/plane_crash_350.jpg

this is the frame, I have no idea who's standing in front of it, I've seen this same frame survive falling out of the air and having the wings ripped off, and still stay in decent shape, it's all in the materials and design, that frame is so light two people can easily lift it

http://www.nancymoon.com/Roy%20and%20Standing%20Frame%20Half%20Size.jpg

cygnus x-1
11-17-2011, 10:37 AM
For light weight sure, chromoly is great. High quality bicycle frames used to be made with it, although now at the high end steel has been replaced by aluminum and carbon fiber. It would be SO expensive to make an air frame from CF though.

C|

hondalude86
11-17-2011, 02:35 PM
I'm just throwing this out there, Autopower has been making SCCA legal roll bars for decades. They are a trusted brand and their reputation has NEVER been disputed. Autopower is no, "peel-and-stick" interwebz company. Autopower is Legit. Of course they are 2L2Q. Just saying...Probably one of the FEW companies making safe legal roll bars on a mass produced scale!