PDA

View Full Version : Moldy A/C, suggestions please!

POS carb
10-16-2002, 10:47 AM
Damn, how am I supposed to drive chicks in my ride when it smells like wet carpet in my car? The A/C stinks when I turn it on and the evaporator had lots of crap on it (which I cleaned while it was off) whichleads me to believe theres much more where that came from...

What can I do/use to kill the smell? It's pretty bad, I tried Lysol spray and it had some stupid baby-powder scent and now my car smells like moldy baby. :banghead:

1988starter
10-16-2002, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by POS carb
Damn, how am I supposed to drive chicks in my ride when it smells like wet carpet in my car? The A/C stinks when I turn it on and the evaporator had lots of crap on it (which I cleaned while it was off) whichleads me to believe theres much more where that came from...

What can I do/use to kill the smell? It's pretty bad, I tried Lysol spray and it had some stupid baby-powder scent and now my car smells like moldy baby. :banghead:

febreez

87accordlxi
10-16-2002, 10:55 AM
bleach! chicks love when your car smells like a YMCA pool.

BoredRec
10-16-2002, 05:24 PM
I know this won't help a damn, but we have some stuff at my shop that is supposed to help to get rid of that moldy smell. I think we bought it from Mighty autoparts. Maybe call up some A/C shops around town and ask them what they do to get rid of the funk.

POS carb
10-16-2002, 06:07 PM
yea I was hopingthat someone makes a chemical to kill the stuff, I'm going to try and run a dehumidifier in the car for a few hours, just gotta find somebody with one

POS carb
10-17-2002, 11:08 AM
aww fuq I just found a leak in my heater core, maybe that's what's causing it

dosh8er
10-18-2002, 04:07 PM
Ooh, i have this stuff called "Citra".. It's a natural odor-eating spray... And it's smells real. I'm sure that would probably do it.. (Then move on to that pansy ass fabreeze)

BTW, is it just me, or can anybody else smell fabreeze? I'm serious here.. I'm talking about the original plain fabreeze.. it has a smell to it... (or maybe that's the crack) anyone else smell it?

87AccordsterLx
10-18-2002, 06:40 PM
my uncle took apart the entire dash and an all of the a/c componets once becasue he was pissed off that he couldnt get rid of the smell... well he did some research on the topic and found out that if your car is parked on a slant that there is a good chance that the moisture isnt escaping correctly... something to do with the proper draining path that the water is supposed to run through.... this probably doesnt help at all but i fugured I'd throw it in there....

DBMaster
10-18-2002, 07:49 PM
There is also the issue of the fresh v. recir position on the vent selector. If you shut the car off and leave it in recirc all the time during A/C season the evaporator housing doesn't seem to dry out as well. The Honda dealer gave me the advice of always switching back to fresh before shutting off the car back when the car was still new and I was getting that mildew smell. I have not had that problem since then (12 years ago).