PDA

View Full Version : Fidanza flywheel fit JDM B20A?

toastyghost
10-16-2002, 01:37 PM
I'm not sure if this goes in performance or here but I'm guessing here since it's a performance thing for a swapped engine. That said, on to the post...

I have been questioning whether I want to try to pursue my JDM B20A dream, and part of that is the potential to expand after the swap is done. After all this talk of aluminum flywheels being really effective at making power, I started wondering if this would be possible with a B20A without spending an assload on custom fabrication or trying to organize another ill-fated group buy.

Using Mike Lee's B2K5 transmission page, I deduced that since his tranny used a USDM Prelude B20A clutch then it would make sense if the JDM B20A could also fit a USDM Prelude performance flywheel. Is this a valid assumption? Why or why not? If this would work, I would be ecstatic because the latest edition of the Fidanza application guide says they offer 3g Lude flywheels.

Please also see my other recent thread in this section for a separate issue related to the B2K5.

AZmike
10-27-2002, 10:53 AM
Flywheels don't make power. A lighter flywheel reduces the rotational mass of your drivetrain so the power you have gives you slightly better acceleration and lets the engine drop revs faster between shifts.

I've heard a 1 lb off the flywheel is like 20 lbs off the chassis, but I haven't bothered to do the math to verify that.

carotman
10-27-2002, 06:30 PM
The flywheel Mike Lee was using rubbed on the transmission bell housing.

I assume that he was using a B20A5 flywheel. If you grind the bell housing like he did, I guess the alu flywheel would fit.

toastyghost
10-27-2002, 07:16 PM
Correction: "really effective at transferring power to the wheels"
picky, picky... :P

Thanks for the input, guys. I was convinced no one was going to respond at all.

toastyghost
10-29-2002, 11:22 AM
Yasu he used a JDM Accord B2K5 tranny and the flywheel rubbed, right? Is there any reason why it would still rub the bell if I used a USDM Prelude F2K5 tranny? I figure it shouldn't rub because that tranny/flywheel combination is stock in the ludes, but I just want to make sure.