PDA

View Full Version : engine pull / install time

Nio
11-29-2011, 12:32 AM
Literally what the title says. About how long would it take to pull a a20a3 and put another back in its place. I have 11 days left and this seems the fastest cheepest and sadly most reliable ends to my means. I can rent a lift just need to know the et.

A18A
11-29-2011, 01:36 AM
if you have everything you need and know what you're doing, it shouldn't take anymore than 1 day to do a complete swap

Nio
11-29-2011, 01:39 AM
So since I'm not exactly sure what I'm doing 2-3 days.

3gmodifier
11-29-2011, 01:43 AM
if you have everything you need and know what you're doing, it shouldn't take anymore than 1 day to do a complete swap

dito. As long as you have the right tools and the skills to do it, it should take about 4-6 hours give or take. I pulled my a20 from my old sedan 4 times while i had her and by the forth time, i was down to about 2 hours. lol just make sure u checka all hoese and gaskets for leaks. Theres no better time to do a gasket, seal, or hoses swap than when the engine is sitting on the garage floor rather that stuffed into the engine bay ware you have much less accessibillity and light lol.

Nio
11-29-2011, 01:51 AM
Thanks guys I'm going to do a few calls tomorrow and check around. If I find a good deal I'm gonna rent a uhaul and engine lift.

Maybach310
11-29-2011, 03:25 AM
Ive done an auto to manuel on a ek in 1 day wich included pedal assembly clutch resevoir clutch line rewire the car n install ac n ps

N on my 89 accord it only took me n hour to pull out the motor

Legend_master
11-29-2011, 08:21 AM
dito. As long as you have the right tools and the skills to do it, it should take about 4-6 hours give or take. I pulled my a20 from my old sedan 4 times while i had her and by the forth time, i was down to about 2 hours. lol just make sure u checka all hoese and gaskets for leaks. Theres no better time to do a gasket, seal, or hoses swap than when the engine is sitting on the garage floor rather that stuffed into the engine bay ware you have much less accessibillity and light lol.

Also a great time to change out engine mounts. Make sure you have the proper tools to remove the axles as well. I can get the whole engine ready to come out in an hour or so, then waist all my time trying to get the axles out.

Nio
11-29-2011, 12:44 PM
I just did both new axles I can pull them in 30 mins or so now.

My only problem is finding a engine. The only yard I found so far wanted 500.

Nio
11-29-2011, 03:11 PM
So after calling around town found a motor for 350 that runs but I would have to pull it myself. I thought it was great but.... I found out it was a carb. :(

But at the same time he told me he had a 88 lude for 1400. God I so feel like jumping on it. I'm going by his yard to look at his other 2 accords as well to check if they are of use.

Also called a lot of places looking for crank and rods no one had them but one yard for 50 but I would have to pull it myself. And i would even know if the engines any good.

Legend_master
11-29-2011, 03:48 PM
So after calling around town found a motor for 350 that runs but I would have to pull it myself. I thought it was great but.... I found out it was a carb. :(

But at the same time he told me he had a 88 lude for 1400. God I so feel like jumping on it. I'm going by his yard to look at his other 2 accords as well to check if they are of use.

Also called a lot of places looking for crank and rods no one had them but one yard for 50 but I would have to pull it myself. And i would even know if the engines any good.

If you don't mind pulling yourself the carb motor would be fine. Just swap all te FI accesories onto the carb motor and your done. Dude $1400 is WAY to much for a used a20 if with a transmission. Look on eBay, you can get one fully rebuilt for $800.00.

Nio
11-29-2011, 04:06 PM
If you don't mind pulling yourself the carb motor would be fine. Just swap all te FI accesories onto the carb motor and your done. Dude $1400 is WAY to much for a used a20 if with a transmission. Look on eBay, you can get one fully rebuilt for $800.00.

Lol no no... 1400 for a 1988 Honda prelude. I actually really want one. I know the dealer pretty well. I sold him my 92 rolla.