PDA

View Full Version : Cutting out, running lean then picking up like a rocket.

mushroom_toy
11-29-2011, 05:25 AM
Alright guys so most of you know that I built my engine and for the past day and a half Ive been having a weird ass problem. At first I though I got some bad gas, ended up changing the fuel filter (old one was fine) and threw some seafoam in it.

The problem Im having is intermittent. You can be driving and maybe after a few miles you can give her gas and shell start cutting out, the car will immediately lean out according to my wideband. I can floor it and eventually power out of it until I hit the next gear then I repeat the process. Itll do this for a while, then I can resume driving like normal all readings are fine, etc. The it will just start happening again...Im pretty stumped. Check a lot of things, nothing seems to be the culprit.

2oodoor
11-29-2011, 02:24 PM
a few things that come to mind... coil getting hot, wrong coil, ignitor getting hot maybe from no isolation goop, primary wiring open not short maybe broke somewhere, fuel rail resistor, tank pick up possibly something floating around that settles out then comes back to the pick up, fuel line rusting somewhere and sucking air, retorque the head, map sensor

Is it coughing up or popping out the intake?

import racer
11-29-2011, 03:51 PM
Hey mushroom mine been acting like you described,at first I thought it was junk in the fuel system since it hasn't been driven in a while.I also added seafoam and some gumout fuel cleaner.hope that works for you.

mushroom_toy
11-29-2011, 03:57 PM
Yeah not thinking its in the fuel system since when I cheanged the fuel filter last night it was super clean, no rust and not much dirt period a little in the very bottom of the filter but not much. If its the fuel system it must be injector related or in tank...im not sure ran great today then started again.

import racer
11-29-2011, 05:56 PM
Yeah mine comes and goes,hopefully the more I drive the better it will get.

mushroom_toy
11-29-2011, 06:51 PM
Alright so wen to pick up a bike with the car and anything after 55mph especially in 5th is no prob. and drives completely like normal,.

MessyHonda
11-30-2011, 12:03 AM
fuel pressure? or grounds on injectors

mushroom_toy
12-07-2011, 03:06 PM
ALright problem finally ended...I think I got some bad gas or water mixed in...its been running great since I filled it back up at middle of last week...XD

ShyBoyCA6
12-07-2011, 03:43 PM
how did water get mixed? haha

mushroom_toy
12-07-2011, 04:33 PM
^No clue but that was the only thing I could think of.

gfrg88
12-08-2011, 07:36 AM
Pssssst.... tune it! :D

gp02a0083
12-08-2011, 04:51 PM
put some sta-bil in it, it might help displace the water if you think that's what happened. Might run a little crappy, i use it in my 442 clone. Doesn't seem to bother carb'd stuff.

import racer
12-09-2011, 01:23 PM
Hey mushroom I took a hard left through an intersection today and it cut out again,and after I got through the intersection it picked up again.Might have to put some more gum-out in it since I got some more gas today.

Hauntd ca3
12-11-2011, 12:40 AM
put a liter of methylated sprits in the tank.
it will absorb the water and will be back to normal in no time