PDA

View Full Version : Front wheel flew off

import racer
11-29-2011, 04:03 PM
Well I changed to winter wheels on the weekend and yesterday went to town.Got about a mile and heard the front wheel making a noise so put on the brakes to pull over and check,that's when I saw my wheel fly off the car.Got the car stopped and retrieved my wheel and tire,hitched a ride back to my place and grabbed a jack,wrench and some lug nuts.Got it jacked up and wheel back on.Drove it home and tore the wheel back off to check it out.Seems I only ruined the rotor and dust shield.She shakes some but need the tires balanced so I hope that's all it is.

MessyHonda
11-30-2011, 12:05 AM
torque wrench is your friend

import racer
11-30-2011, 03:50 PM
Yeah I thought I tightened them all,I always double check them.Maybe I'm just getting old?

w261w261
12-03-2011, 10:15 PM
Yeah, you are getting old, but so is everybody else. I think the longer you live, the more likely an unlikely event will eventually happen. I don't know how many times ive changed the oil in my cars, over a hundred? I always do it the same way. About a year ago I almost refilled the crankcase (and started the car) without screwing in a new filter. I caught myself just in time. Now the new filter goes next to the new oil on top of the engine before I unscrew the drain plug.

Guys that tow trailers say the most important thing about hooking them up is NEVER let yourself be interrupted once you start, and do it exactly the same way each time.

The good news is that having scared yourself this way, it's probably made an impression, so the liklihood of a repeat is small.

A18A
12-03-2011, 10:41 PM
speaking of trailers, don't trust other people to have put them on your car properly. i now have a big dent in my rear bumper cause my mate said he put the trailer on properly but didn't :mad:

obdriver6
12-10-2011, 11:55 PM
It sounds like it wasn't too serious and at least you didn't get hurt.

import racer
12-11-2011, 01:34 PM
Yeah I guess I got lucky that way.could have been the wheel could have hit a car if one would have been comin the other way.

DBMaster
12-11-2011, 04:32 PM
Yeah, you are getting old, but so is everybody else. I think the longer you live, the more likely an unlikely event will eventually happen. I don't know how many times ive changed the oil in my cars, over a hundred? I always do it the same way. About a year ago I almost refilled the crankcase (and started the car) without screwing in a new filter. I caught myself just in time. Now the new filter goes next to the new oil on top of the engine before I unscrew the drain plug.

The reminds me of the one time in 22 years that I took the car to a Honda shop for a valve adjustment. I was turning the crank pulley clockwise rather than counter-clockwise. Truly the definition of "brain-fart." It never happened before and hasn't since.