PDA

View Full Version : 81 EK1 ideling funny

mintygreen81
11-29-2011, 06:42 PM
so my car seems like the choke is stuck.. it idels real funny, all day long. it NEVER STOPS!!! help me out here. what could it be?

2ndGenGuy
11-30-2011, 09:22 AM
Need more details. What is it doing exactly? Is it a rough idle? A low idle? High idle?

mintygreen81
11-30-2011, 07:58 PM
Need more details. What is it doing exactly? Is it a rough idle? A low idle? High idle?

Its not a really rough idle. It just bounces from about 1500 to 2500 but it has done it since day one. I haven't done anything to the carb.

2ndGenGuy
12-01-2011, 12:41 PM
Yeah it seems like the choke might be sticking closed, kicking up the high idle. There's so many things that could be going on in the carb, it's hard to say. I would pull off the air cleaner after you have it warmed up and take a look. Follow the linkage back from the choke plate and see if it's binding or seized up somewhere. Does your car have A/C? There may be an A/C idle solenoid that's stuck. Also I believe there is a vacuum line that runs back to a thermovalve in the themostat neck. The thermovalve could be stuck and so it doesn't open when the car warms up, and that can keep the idle high too. Do you have a factory service manual?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-Accord-car-repair-service-manual-1981-/380389310005?pt=US_Nonfiction_Book&hash=item5890f83e35

Here's one for under $10 shipped. You should definitely pick one up, as it explains in detail how all the carburetor systems work. I'm not sure if we have to deal with emissions up here with these cars, but if not, then you should be able to do a vacuum delete, it's a very similar process to the 3rd gens. Or you can swap over to a Weber, which is a very simple carb to work on. I've been running a Weber on mine for maybe 3-4 years now, and I've never touched it, and the car runs great.

mintygreen81
12-01-2011, 05:16 PM
Yeah it seems like the choke might be sticking closed, kicking up the high idle. There's so many things that could be going on in the carb, it's hard to say. I would pull off the air cleaner after you have it warmed up and take a look. Follow the linkage back from the choke plate and see if it's binding or seized up somewhere. Does your car have A/C? There may be an A/C idle solenoid that's stuck. Also I believe there is a vacuum line that runs back to a thermovalve in the themostat neck. The thermovalve could be stuck and so it doesn't open when the car warms up, and that can keep the idle high too. Do you have a factory service manual?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-Accord-car-repair-service-manual-1981-/380389310005?pt=US_Nonfiction_Book&hash=item5890f83e35

Here's one for under $10 shipped. You should definitely pick one up, as it explains in detail how all the carburetor systems work. I'm not sure if we have to deal with emissions up here with these cars, but if not, then you should be able to do a vacuum delete, it's a very similar process to the 3rd gens. Or you can swap over to a Weber, which is a very simple carb to work on. I've been running a Weber on mine for maybe 3-4 years now, and I've never touched it, and the car runs great.

i do need to pick up a bible. but where could i get a weber for my car? and how do i go along doing a vac delete. im a stranger to carbd cars

2ndGenGuy
12-02-2011, 10:26 AM
Carbs unlimited down in Auburn or Fife should be able to hook you up with a Weber. And they could tune and install it if you wanted.

http://www.carburetion.com/

As for the vacuum delete, look in the 3rd gen carbureted section. It won't be EXACTLY the same as your car, so you'll have to improvise, but it's a good starting place.