PDA

View Full Version : groaning

CzEcHy
12-04-2011, 03:42 PM
Alright so about a week ago maybe two, it finally got cold down here then I started to notice a groaning/ rubber on metal or rubber on rubber sound coming from either the middle near the firewall or right side of vehicle.

When I push the car sideways it makes the noise.
when I turn the steering wheel it makes the noise.
when I push down and lift the right side it makes the noise.
Get in or out of car on right side it makes noise.

I took the wheel off and sprayed lube on virtually every bushing on the right and the cross members and rear motor mount and front sway bar.

While just the right jacked up and the wheel off, NO noise when I turned the steering wheel, not a peep.

Shocks are basically brand new along with the tophat bushings, steering rack is half a year old, tie rods are same as steering rack, cv axle is less than a year old. Sway bar bushings and end links are brand new and moog.

Its really bad when going slowly through a parking lot or turning, can't really hear while highway driving.

Tires Plus said my right radius rod had a lot of movement while turning the wheel and etc, so would that bushing going bad cause all of these symptoms?

elpuma
12-04-2011, 11:53 PM
Could be ball joints.

DBMaster
12-05-2011, 06:29 AM
There are a few things that can cause such noises. I have experienced quite a few of them myself.

Upper and/or lower ball joints (maybe)
Upper control arm bushings (most likely)
Lower control arm bushings (maybe)
Spring seat bushings (less likely)

I think I played this wrong myself. I should have just replaced ALL of these things firs thing when I started having issues. I have done it all at this point - at least once. Last time I changed the oil I noticed my damper fork bushings in the lower control arms were starting to look "squished" at the bottom. I guess new LCA's are in my future as well. The Moog brand ones are about $60 each from Rock Auto.