PDA

View Full Version : Bad Clutch or Pressure plate Needs adjusting?

vteckiller
12-04-2011, 09:45 PM
Okay, first off the clutch was replaced and only driven.. Mediumly Race like for around 2-4 months, not none stop but 50% of the time probably.. It doesn't slip if i don't mash on it.. when i mash it only slips in 2,3,4,5. It's a 1989 honda accord lx-i manual transmission. second off. can i just remove the whole ride side suspension and what not if necessary and remove the transmission and replace the clutch the pop it back in.. and maybe third off.. is there a video somewhere?
thanks for the help..

AccordB20A
12-04-2011, 10:15 PM
Okay, first off the clutch was replaced and only driven.. Mediumly Race like for around 2-4 months, not none stop but 50% of the time probably.. It doesn't slip if i don't mash on it.. when i mash it only slips in 2,3,4,5. its an automatic 1989 honda accord lx-i. second off. can i just remove the whole ride side suspension and what not if necessary and remove the transmission and replace the clutch the pop it back in.. and maybe third off.. is there a video somewhere?
thanks for the help..

clutch in a automatic ?!?!1

Hauntd ca3
12-04-2011, 10:19 PM
clutch in a automatic ?!?!1

x2

vteckiller
12-05-2011, 02:56 PM
x2

my bad been busy and stressing.. its an manual.. i believe the clutch is fried.. i got a tranny shop like 15min from my house but i aint chancing that shit breaking down the road.. and now im stuck.. and for the safety of everyone and myself.. ill just do it at home.

Oldblueaccord
12-05-2011, 06:25 PM
Its a cable clutch its adjustable.See if can adjust it out.

wp

vteckiller
12-05-2011, 10:43 PM
Its a cable clutch its adjustable.See if can adjust it out.

wp

So i need to loosen the clutch cable? cause if the cable is too tight its apply the clutch? and if it don't slip in first but every other gear why is this? the design in a clutch/transmission allows first to be super strong. and what not?

Oldblueaccord
12-06-2011, 06:24 AM
With the clutch out the cable will have "free play" of like 10 mm. I forget the setting. The clutch arm will be loose on the cable. If i think of it today ill pop a picture of mine. Its set that way so the pressure plate is squeezing everything together when you let off.

Slipping in high gears is just the gear ratios are higher so there's more leverage(strain) on the clutch.

id adjust it out and see if you can save it.

wp

vteckiller
12-06-2011, 02:50 PM
With the clutch out the cable will have "free play" of like 10 mm. I forget the setting. The clutch arm will be loose on the cable. If i think of it today ill pop a picture of mine. Its set that way so the pressure plate is squeezing everything together when you let off.

Slipping in high gears is just the gear ratios are higher so there's more leverage(strain) on the clutch.

id adjust it out and see if you can save it.

wp

Right right.. more power in sense for the pressure plate to try and grab.. but its weird.. ill see if i cant pop up a pick of mine.. the cable is like tight but not like omg tight.. if i grab it there is no slop.. its tense all the time.

Oldblueaccord
12-06-2011, 03:32 PM
http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e140/jlicrx/91-12-4-1.jpg

pretty close i just did a google search.

it should be pretty loose feel where it hooks to the arm.

wp

vteckiller
12-06-2011, 04:05 PM
http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e140/jlicrx/91-12-4-1.jpg

pretty close i just did a google search.

it should be pretty loose feel where it hooks to the arm.

wp

Right right.. well i loosened the cable at the round clutch cable mounting spot or whatever, and i spun it counter clockwise and now my clutch grabs way sooner and feels way better but im not use to the feeling of it so i don't like it atm.. but it don't slip anymore.. im more curious on to how long i've been slowly burning my clutch and not knowing it cause it wasn't noticably bad..

oldman
12-08-2011, 03:43 PM
what would cause this in a automatic 89 dx accord?mine just stopped today.from park to drive and back,no catch?

Oldblueaccord
12-10-2011, 10:59 AM
Oldman you would be better to start your own thread since its a different question.

wp