PDA

View Full Version : Hyper-extended clutch

rocketman
12-05-2011, 11:09 AM
Ever hear of a "hyper-extended" clutch? I just talked with my mechanic friend and he has diagnosed my '89 DX 5 speed w'541,000 miles with a hyper-extended clutch. This is the original clutch. The pedal sticks (goes to the floor and stays there) when you first start the car on a cold day requiring me to "tap" the release arm, which moves the release shaft so that the clutch then operates normally. Ideas? Rocketman

Dr_Snooz
12-08-2011, 07:15 PM
Replace the clutch.

2ndGenGuy
12-08-2011, 10:38 PM
It's probably a broken pressure plate. Or some worn out springs in it. Yeah a clutch job sounds like it's in order. You're lucky to have gone as long as you have without changing it! :)

A18A
12-09-2011, 12:12 AM
the car's really done that much mileage on the original clutch? :O

rocketman
12-09-2011, 08:46 AM
Yes . . . A18A . . . original clutch, tranny and engine with 541,000 miles. Tomorrow I'm going to try and "rig" the switch on the clutch pedal which requires me to push the clutch to the floor on start-up, the only time the problem presents itself. Then it will start (I guess) Less than full depression of the pedal won't cause it to stick, but also won't allow for start-up either. Maybe depressing the pedal only part way with the switch disabled will work, too cold and messy outside today to fool with it. I'll let you guys know. Rocketman