PDA

View Full Version : Lifetime warrenty Seatbelt?

vteckiller
12-07-2011, 01:05 PM
Okay if you look in the honda hand book in the back it show's you the warranty on your car.. it says in there that the seatbelts are lifetime warrantied? my retracters are all cracked out and I'm tired of taking my door panel off too fix the damn thing cause you lean forward and now you have slop in your belt! lame! please help.. i already know of like 8 i could grab from a junkyard and trial and error the best one..

DBMaster
12-08-2011, 06:55 AM
I read the same thing recently. I don't even think the seatbelts for our cars are available anymore, though. Both my front belts are slow to retract and sometimes need a little "help" to keep the latch plates from getting slammed in the door jamb.

vteckiller
12-08-2011, 12:54 PM
I read the same thing recently. I don't even think the seatbelts for our cars are available anymore, though. Both my front belts are slow to retract and sometimes need a little "help" to keep the latch plates from getting slammed in the door jamb.

Yup, i hate it.. cause both my driver side and passenger side do it.. and my passengers usually slam it in my door.. and i get angry! I'm not sure. I think i will drive into a honda dealership with the handbook and ask about it and show em it.. see what i get from them.. ill post back..

DBMaster
12-08-2011, 01:30 PM
That would be interesting to know. One of the guys posted a URL to a list of tech service bulletins and one of them detailed all the things you can clean to make the seatbelts retract better, but my interior is already spotless and has been that way since 1989. I have a nice big tear in the P/S door panel from somebody slamming the tongue in the door. My passengers have all learned the routine now, though, and I make sure to tell the ones who don't know.

Dr_Snooz
12-08-2011, 05:29 PM
My panels are all torn to crap on both sides from the seatbelt. The tops are all torn to crap from the sun. It's on the list of things to fix. You know, someday when I'm wealthy...

CzEcHy
12-08-2011, 05:49 PM
Seatbelt latches ARE under warranty (got mine replaced last year for free.)

As long as its a safety concern with any part of the seatbelt it should be covered.

Have fun.

scanlessfool
12-08-2011, 07:51 PM
I can't confirm if the seat belts are under a lifetime warranty, but I can say that the 94-97 Accord chassis get them replaced if they happen to be malfunctioning. I'd think if they cover a car 17 years old, they may cover an older one.

jesus_charger
12-08-2011, 10:11 PM
most definitely .. i got mine replaced during the summer just take them to the dealer and explain ur problem ... but they only have certain colors ... like my interior is burgandy and they gave me black seat belts.. also if they dont have them on hand then they would order them for you

DBMaster
12-09-2011, 05:35 AM
I guess I can give that a shot.

Snooz mentioned the tops of the door panels. I got a wild hair in 1991 and went right out and got my windows tinted. The tint blocks UV. I had to have the tint redone in 2009, but my door panels and the top of the back seat is still like new due to the tint. They have some newer tint materials that don't really darken the windows if all you want to do is reduce heat and UV.

charliekuney
12-09-2011, 12:05 PM
If people just used the seatbelt the way it was designed to be used, no failing retractors and no door panel damage!

DBMaster
12-09-2011, 12:20 PM
Are you talking about leaving them buckled and contorting yourself to get into the car under them? How would that help? The retractors will still have to actuate every time you open and close the door.

It was Honda's idiotic way of complying with the US "passive restraint" requirements. This is the same wonderful requirement that led to the motorized belts in many cars of the early 90's.

Legend_master
12-09-2011, 01:12 PM
Are you talking about leaving them buckled and contorting yourself to get into the car under them? How would that help? The retractors will still have to actuate every time you open and close the door.

It was Honda's idiotic way of complying with the US "passive restraint" requirements. This is the same wonderful requirement that led to the motorized belts in many cars of the early 90's.

No kidding I hate the seatbelt setup in my 88 hatch, My 86 was so much better. As for the lifetime warranty, I had my seatbelts (retractors, and buckles) replaced on my 86 about 4 years ago. I got the last ones in the country in that grey color, so I am sure the supply is limited depending on the color.

vteckiller
12-10-2011, 07:02 PM
No kidding I hate the seatbelt setup in my 88 hatch, My 86 was so much better. As for the lifetime warranty, I had my seatbelts (retractors, and buckles) replaced on my 86 about 4 years ago. I got the last ones in the country in that grey color, so I am sure the supply is limited depending on the color.

its like i don't care what color the belts are.. just retract damnit! i hate having to reapet myself everytime i got ppl in the car.. and my door panels are all ate up from ppl slamming the metal buckel part in my door jam.. im driving to honda on monday and ill most definitly post back.. sounds like a lot of others have the same issue.. should of been a recall lol!

DBMaster
12-11-2011, 08:37 AM
^^Definitely post the results of your visit. For me to do that would require some time off work, which I will gladly take next month if I can actually get new belts. Black would be just fine in my car.

vteckiller
12-15-2011, 05:02 PM
^^Definitely post the results of your visit. For me to do that would require some time off work, which I will gladly take next month if I can actually get new belts. Black would be just fine in my car.

I'm so busy these last few weeks, i haven't even had the right time in the day free to go down to the Honda dealer.. I get off work too late, and they don't open tell I'm already at work.. maybe ill just go in on a lunch break or a half day it.. but i will most definitely post my results back for the people who are having this same issue..

vteckiller
12-19-2011, 02:24 PM
I just got off the phone with a Honda tech, they're pretty much saying that Supply of these belts is no longer being made, So its what ever they have they have. tell its all gone! so in other words.. GO TO YOUR HONDA DEALERSHIP ASAP!!!!!!!

gyates93
12-20-2011, 11:43 AM

Love our Canadian cars, no crazy seatbelts!

DBMaster
12-20-2011, 01:06 PM
That's the "benevolent parent" that is the US Federal Government. We're all too stupid to use our seatbelts so they had to force us to do so with laws and passive restraints. While I may think that airbags are a boon to safety I can say that if you have an accident in a used car that is in mint condition it could be considered "totaled" if the air bags have deployed because they cost a friggin' fortune to replace. Ask me how I know this!

My local Honda dealer repeated the stuff I saw in the tech service bulletins. Clean the belt guides (upper and lower) as best you can and clean the belt itself with plain water (no detergent). My guides are as clean as the day the car rolled off the line so I am still going to say that the retractor springs have to be getting weak (like an old window shade). At least they do lockup properly when you spike the brakes or corner aggressively so I am not worried about them performing in an accident.

Legend_master
12-20-2011, 01:59 PM
The seatbelts in my hatch are going to let me fly out the front windshield if I get in a wreck. I also had to disconnect the electrical connection from the drivers retractor as it was causing a parasitic draw on the battery. Think I am going to head up to vandergriff, and see what they will do for me.

DBMaster
12-20-2011, 03:50 PM
Still better than airbag equipped cars. I learned after my daughter had a relatively minor collision that the seatbelt retractors have explosive charges attached to them. Get in one accident and your seatbelts are toast. Hello, $185 each for new ones ($50 each used).

gyates93
12-20-2011, 04:03 PM
Still better than airbag equipped cars. I learned after my daughter had a relatively minor collision that the seatbelt retractors have explosive charges attached to them. Get in one accident and your seatbelts are toast. Hello, $185 each for new ones ($50 each used).

.. Explosive charges? Meant to put you out of your misery? :lol: I knew medical bills were expensive in the states, but..

(Yes, I know airbags operate on a small explosive charge.:P)

DBMaster
12-20-2011, 04:48 PM
LOL! I mean, seriously. My daughter's car is a 1999 Infiniti I30. If you look at a seatbelt mechanism out of the car you will see a metal tube attached to the retractor. when the airbag sensor detects a collision it fires the charge to instantly lock the seatbelt. Quite effective, but it renders the seatbelt useless after that.

I bought used airbags, sensors, and belts. It cost me over $600 in parts and then $500 in labor for an "automotive I.T. guy" to set everything so it would work in a future collision. If you went with new parts you would be looking at over $2,500. Thus, my statement about a perfectly good car being considered a total loss.

In this case, the airbags did squat to improve the survivability of the crash. In 1999 that was the state of passive restraints. That is the origin of my statement about the "benevolent" government screwing things up. Perhaps the latest "smart" airbags will help because the passenger side would not deploy if someone is not sitting there.

Basically, this pristine, clean 1999 Infiniti should have been trash due to a minor collision. If I had known how much it would ultimately cost me to repair it I would have junked it. How does that work for environmental consciousness?

vteckiller
12-21-2011, 02:00 PM
LOL! I mean, seriously. My daughter's car is a 1999 Infiniti I30. If you look at a seatbelt mechanism out of the car you will see a metal tube attached to the retractor. when the airbag sensor detects a collision it fires the charge to instantly lock the seatbelt. Quite effective, but it renders the seatbelt useless after that.

I bought used airbags, sensors, and belts. It cost me over $600 in parts and then $500 in labor for an "automotive I.T. guy" to set everything so it would work in a future collision. If you went with new parts you would be looking at over $2,500. Thus, my statement about a perfectly good car being considered a total loss.

In this case, the airbags did squat to improve the survivability of the crash. In 1999 that was the state of passive restraints. That is the origin of my statement about the "benevolent" government screwing things up. Perhaps the latest "smart" airbags will help because the passenger side would not deploy if someone is not sitting there.

Basically, this pristine, clean 1999 Infiniti should have been trash due to a minor collision. If I had known how much it would ultimately cost me to repair it I would have junked it. How does that work for environmental consciousness?

So whats this have to do with a honda, and there belts?

DBMaster
12-21-2011, 02:29 PM
^^Not much. I got off topic when I was asked about the explosive charges. Sorry about the foray into my mental recesses.

vteckiller
12-21-2011, 04:17 PM
^^Not much. I got off topic when I was asked about the explosive charges. Sorry about the foray into my mental recesses.

trying to spread the 3gee seatbelt word.. that honda, and or there partners.. Still honda owned thou, will try to replace them if they don't have them in there shop, or cannot order them, they call all around the same state, city and see if any other honda shop has some or can get em. so you don't have to call 50 shops..

*dreams of infinity now*

Dr_Snooz
12-21-2011, 11:07 PM
I'll be very surprised if you get squat out of this.

DBMaster
12-22-2011, 06:19 AM
^^My thoughts as well. But, I think it's worth a try anyway.

vteckiller
12-22-2011, 09:04 AM
I'll be very surprised if you get squat out of this.

Evidently where i live they care about the honda driver. should look into it if you haven't..

Dr_Snooz
12-22-2011, 09:10 PM
Sorry. I didn't mean to sound like a jerk. You'll be lucky to get an apology, really. No shop in this country is going to spend time calling around trying to find seatbelts for a repair that will pay them exactly nothing. Best of luck though. I hope you get what you need, but be prepared for a junkyard run as a backup plan.

vteckiller
12-24-2011, 09:07 AM
Sorry. I didn't mean to sound like a jerk. You'll be lucky to get an apology, really. No shop in this country is going to spend time calling around trying to find seatbelts for a repair that will pay them exactly nothing. Best of luck though. I hope you get what you need, but be prepared for a junkyard run as a backup plan.

Right. just a thought.. when i called the tech guy said to bring it in, and theyll look at it and address if it needs to be lubed, or the spring is just worn from age.. But in all honesty.. ill call myself too, but it would be nice to get something done that they supposedly value. But.. we have like 40 86-89 accords at the yard by my place.

DBMaster
12-24-2011, 10:07 AM
Personally, I think cleaning and lubing the retractors would do a lot. I wonder if they are like window shades. Maybe when they are opened up you can "crank" the springs a little tighter. I have thought about doing this several times, but what a pain it is to disassemble the doors without damaging anything.

vteckiller
12-24-2011, 04:27 PM
Personally, I think cleaning and lubing the retractors would do a lot. I wonder if they are like window shades. Maybe when they are opened up you can "crank" the springs a little tighter. I have thought about doing this several times, but what a pain it is to disassemble the doors without damaging anything.

How about this, ill take my door apart once more. clean it, lube it, and see about the " crank " down the spring to make it tighter. and post with results. I just got done removing my A/C Hard lines, Soft lines, Compressor, Evap. and my power steering hard lines, soft lines, pump, Reservoir, and got rid of extra wires from the pumps.. so now its just got one ground, one positive for the fan.

DBMaster
12-25-2011, 09:32 PM
^^Sounds good to me. I have always felt a little nervous when removing door panels. I have the proper tools, but unless you do it often you never remember exactly where the snap fasteners are. It is so easy to mess them up. The last time I took off a door panel was in January of 2001 to replace my passenger side front window after some dickhead thief broke into the car.

obdriver6
12-26-2011, 01:34 PM
I have taken my door panels off a couple of times and it doesn't seem that hard.

vtechkiller:Last time I took my door panels out I decide to tighten the springs but it seem to only help a little. I can post a pick of the spring if you want.

vteckiller
12-26-2011, 05:54 PM
I have taken my door panels off a couple of times and it doesn't seem that hard.

vtechkiller:Last time I took my door panels out I decide to tighten the springs but it seem to only help a little. I can post a pick of the spring if you want.

Hmm.. that sucks.. have you tryed using a parts cleaner in a aerosol can as to maybe blast the dirt out and clean it up.. then get some WD-40 and blast some in there?

Vanilla Sky
12-26-2011, 05:59 PM
WD-40 isn't a good lubricant. You also want to make sure that you don't get any on the belt itself.

I haven't had to work on these retractors yet, but I'm planning on having to do that with the coupe as soon as it's on the road. I'm the only one in the house that cares about things like making sure cars don't get trashed, and I'm not going to be the one driving the car.

DBMaster
12-27-2011, 06:20 AM
Right, WD40 is actually more of a cleaner/penetrant. I would recommend something like teflon dry lube because it won't contaminate the belts.

vteckiller
12-27-2011, 05:50 PM
Right, WD40 is actually more of a cleaner/penetrant. I would recommend something like teflon dry lube because it won't contaminate the belts.

Well right, wd would also clean, and it will be a light lube, maybe use the graphite stuff for door locks?

vteckiller
12-27-2011, 07:14 PM

The graphite in the aerosol can?

Dr_Snooz
12-27-2011, 09:01 PM
Just to manage expectations: my sister bought the 3g I now own years ago when it had only 70k miles on it. She was the second owner and the car was in remarkably good shape. It was showroom, really, with the exception of the door panels being all chopped up from the seat belt tongue. I remember being completely bummed about it because the car was so perfect in every other way. As far as I can tell, the belts on the coupes never retracted particularly well. Definitely give it a shot, but don't expect a miracle.

Jeez, I'm like the negative nelly in this thread. Sorry again.

DBMaster
12-28-2011, 09:00 AM
I am not talking about the graphite lock lubricant, but that should work, too, as the carrier solvent evaporates leaving behind dry graphite. You can also find teflon spray lube in both dry and wet varieties. If I were doing this I would tend to want to avoid anything liquid that could attract dust and gum up the works later on.

vteckiller
12-28-2011, 09:44 AM
If I were doing this I would tend to want to avoid anything liquid that could attract dust and gum up the works later on.

my thoughts as well.. thats why i mentioned wd cause its light, and then perhaps the driest lube know to man.. lol.

obdriver6
12-29-2011, 01:01 AM
Hmm.. that sucks.. have you tryed using a parts cleaner in a aerosol can as to maybe blast the dirt out and clean it up.. then get some WD-40 and blast some in there?

Its not that its not lubed, in my car the seatbelt seems to get stuck on the very top part where it does the loop down. Either the seatbelt is not as smooth as it was or the top part is worn out. When ever I pull the entire belt, it seem to retract except in the end where I have to give it a little help.

vteckiller
12-29-2011, 10:19 AM
Its not that its not lubed, in my car the seatbelt seems to get stuck on the very top part where it does the loop down. Either the seatbelt is not as smooth as it was or the top part is worn out. When ever I pull the entire belt, it seem to retract except in the end where I have to give it a little help.

think about it though.. if that's your problem is the last part, you have to help it along to retracted.. its the re-tractor not being strong enough to pull it all in.. so at first it seems okay cause there's the torque behind it on the spring inside the re-tractor, then once the belt retracts the spring slowly releases pressure and by the time you get to the last few inches the thing is like.. ugh.. wtf? no retraction.. i went to the Junk Yard today. as usual every damn car door was open, the window was broke, or something! and there was tons of water in the door panels.. I'm hoping to go in next week and hope for new stock of hondas.

Bglad420
12-29-2011, 10:51 AM
Take it to Honda and get them replaced. If they say they wont do it call Honda America. Problem solved.

Bglad420
12-29-2011, 10:52 AM
I had them replaced in my 89 Accord about a year ago. One which came directly from Japan. Also had all the belts replaced in my 90 ED7.

vteckiller
12-29-2011, 05:54 PM
Take it to Honda and get them replaced. If they say they wont do it call Honda America. Problem solved.

my thoughts as well.. the guy on the phone when i called honda, sounded legit as hell.. but everyone on here besides you has been saying, yeah right, bs, youll be lucky.. haha go ahead and waste your time trying.. haha.. well when i take pictures of my new belts ill be able to boast.. :D but tomorrow i am going into honda. i finally got my clutch figured out, and the Axle. anywho.. look forward to posting back about results as i intended to do this weeks ago. but axle/clutch issue...

DBMaster
12-31-2011, 02:36 PM
I decided to go ahead and try cleaning the black plastic upper belt guides, front and back seats. I am amazed that it made a huge difference. The passenger front belt is still a bit slow, but all the other ones work well now. I sprayed a little silicone spray on a thin rag (cut up T-shirt) and pulled it back and forth underneath the belt. It came away pretty dirty looking even though it looked clean.

vteckiller
12-31-2011, 05:23 PM
I decided to go ahead and try cleaning the black plastic upper belt guides, front and back seats. I am amazed that it made a huge difference. The passenger front belt is still a bit slow, but all the other ones work well now. I sprayed a little silicone spray on a thin rag (cut up T-shirt) and pulled it back and forth underneath the belt. It came away pretty dirty looking even though it looked clean.

Right on.. i just know that honda will replace them even if they have to send you them and you do them yourself. but thats been put on the back burner now im dealing witha wobble sound in my car.. it might be my slightly bent back rim making it going wobble wobble wobble down the road.

obdriver6
01-02-2012, 03:46 PM
think about it though.. if that's your problem is the last part, you have to help it along to retracted.. its the re-tractor not being strong enough to pull it all in.. so at first it seems okay cause there's the torque behind it on the spring inside the re-tractor, then once the belt retracts the spring slowly releases pressure and by the time you get to the last few inches the thing is like.. ugh.. wtf? no retraction.. i went to the Junk Yard today. as usual every damn car door was open, the window was broke, or something! and there was tons of water in the door panels.. I'm hoping to go in next week and hope for new stock of hondas.

I don't mind it now but next time I take the door panels off (which I know will be soon), I'll have to tighten the spring a little more and see if it helps.

vteckiller
01-02-2012, 04:52 PM
I don't mind it now but next time I take the door panels off (which I know will be soon), I'll have to tighten the spring a little more and see if it helps.

right, right.. we'll i myself have been having bigger issues than my seatbelt not retracting now.. so thats put on hold for right now. atm i got that wobble sound going on and im getting sick of chasing it!! :barf:

Dr_Snooz
01-02-2012, 06:34 PM
We need resolution to this thread! Are you going to get belts or get stiffed? I can't stand the suspense!

vteckiller
01-02-2012, 07:30 PM
We need resolution to this thread! Are you going to get belts or get stiffed? I can't stand the suspense!

Okay dr snooz, tomorrow i am going into honda.. i can't stand to have that over hanging my head anymore.. my wobble is beyond me and my knowledge, ive got a rear end waiting for me in California that is free to me, If worse comes to worse.. this damn car.. i swear!! UHG!! Seatbelt postings Tomrrow!! believe that!

DBMaster
01-03-2012, 08:44 AM
LOL! (Dr. Snooz)

Now, I guess I have to keep what I have. My girlfriend rode with me yesterday and I noticed the passenger belt was retracted. She did not have to "help" it along, either. It's still a bit slower than the rest of the belts, but it will retract under its own power. The rest of the belts pop right back into place and I feel A LOT less resistance when pulling them out to buckle up. I never would have thought this would make a difference. I guess the plastic guides pick up stuff from the belts (schmutz, as we would call it on the East Coast) and eventually the belts won't glide through them without sticking. the most dramatic difference was in the PS rear belt. After two kids' car seats and my son sitting back there for years that belt would never retract all the way, period. Now it snaps right back into place just like the one on the other side - amazing!

vteckiller
01-03-2012, 10:42 AM
LOL! (Dr. Snooz)

Now, I guess I have to keep what I have. My girlfriend rode with me yesterday and I noticed the passenger belt was retracted. She did not have to "help" it along, either. It's still a bit slower than the rest of the belts, but it will retract under its own power. The rest of the belts pop right back into place and I feel A LOT less resistance when pulling them out to buckle up. I never would have thought this would make a difference. I guess the plastic guides pick up stuff from the belts (schmutz, as we would call it on the East Coast) and eventually the belts won't glide through them without sticking. the most dramatic difference was in the PS rear belt. After two kids' car seats and my son sitting back there for years that belt would never retract all the way, period. Now it snaps right back into place just like the one on the other side - amazing!

So i got some new black belts on there way to my door step, whaaat? :Owned:

Shawn87AccordDx
11-15-2012, 08:16 PM
I'm hoping this is is legit. I'm going into Renton Honda tomorrow to get this taken care of.

2drSE-i
11-15-2012, 10:05 PM
I'm hoping this is is legit. I'm going into Renton Honda tomorrow to get this taken care of.
It is legit, but keep us posted. Several Honda dealers are known to be resistant to honor the warranty.

Vanilla Sky
11-15-2012, 10:29 PM
I'm planning on getting mine done soon, too. I'll report back when I take it in. Both of my front seat belts are incredibly slow to retract. The passenger one needs help to do anything.

Shawn87AccordDx
11-16-2012, 08:52 AM
I have an appointment for Monday at 8AM. There should be no problem diagnosing worn out seatbelts.

I took one of my youth students out for Starbucks before school this morning and he slammed the seatbelt in the door...twice... :uh:

Shawn87AccordDx
11-19-2012, 08:13 AM
Dropped off the car at Renton Honda. They didn't seem to flinch when I mentioned the lifetime warranty. We'll see how it goes when I pick it up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shawn87AccordDx
11-19-2012, 11:49 AM
Parts ordered should be here Wednesday and it's under warranty, no problem! This makes me happy.

Legend_master
11-19-2012, 03:51 PM
Parts ordered should be here Wednesday and it's under warranty, no problem! This makes me happy.

You may have just inspired me to go get mine lol.

vteckiller
11-19-2012, 04:16 PM
you have the right as the honda owner to have any part replaced that says its lifetime warranty as long as its not written anywhere saying with exceptions.. so you would be a fool not to press the subject on a honda dealership, and get some nice new nifty retracting seatbelts, state of the art stuff..

Shawn87AccordDx
11-30-2012, 02:38 AM
Got a call from the dealer today. Parts are in! Getting it done this weekend.