PDA

View Full Version : Stuck!!

oldman
12-09-2011, 05:18 PM
Hey guys,oldman here.im having a problem with my 89 accord dx,the engine will start but when i shift nothing!...no go!even when the engine is off and in park i can push it back and forth as if nothing is connected?im stuck!

AccordB20A
12-09-2011, 07:19 PM
check your CV joints/axles by jacking the front up and turning the wheels and seeing if the whole axle all the way to the gearbox turns.

im guessing its automatic?
if thats all good its gunna be something internally wrong inside it like the diff or something else. then you will need to either swap the box or convert it to 5 speed, no use trying to repair a failbox auto

oldman
12-10-2011, 06:27 AM
thanks for the info.i plan to spend the day going thru this thing ...if i have to.

omianan
12-10-2011, 07:36 AM
If this is an automatic there is a cable that connects the shifter to the transmission. I haven't had mine actually apart but the spare auto tran that I have in the shop has a cable coming out of it that connects to the shifter. If either end of the connection has disengage for whatever reason, you could be moving the shifter and nothing is really happening at the transmission end. This would only be the case if the transmission has ended up in neutral as you wouldn't be able to move the car if it is in Park or start the engine in any of the other drive ranges. As B20A says, the CV joint would be my first guess also.

oldman
12-10-2011, 07:41 AM
ok.got it raised up,turned wheeles,axles seem ok.started it so i could shift thru the gears(yes automatic)it seems to engage because the wheels turn in reverse and drive!also noticed fluid around bottom of trans?

oldman
12-10-2011, 08:26 AM
checked the shifter cable everthing looks and feels ok,about to drop it down,do a test run to the end of drive way.

oldman
12-10-2011, 09:16 AM
driveway test ok.could it have been the cable?i will raise it back up and check the fluid i noticed,hope its nothing too serious.thanks for the walk thur guys.

lostforawhile
12-10-2011, 09:56 AM
make sure the cv axles are all the way in the transmission, you mentioned fluid, the metal circlips on the ends of the axles might be bad, if the axle is even disengaged a little this will happen, if they are out a little fluid will leak out between the cv axle end and the transmission

oldman
12-10-2011, 01:52 PM
yea,i noticed on passenger side axle,there is a gap about 1/2 inch where axle goes in.now what??

lostforawhile
12-10-2011, 02:18 PM
yea,i noticed on passenger side axle,there is a gap about 1/2 inch where axle goes in.now what??

you might be able to push it back in until it clicks, if not take the axle out and replace the clip, the clip is cheap. when you push the axle in you should hear a definite click

mintygreen81
12-10-2011, 04:47 PM
you might be able to push it back in until it clicks, if not take the axle out and replace the clip, the clip is cheap. when you push the axle in you should hear a definite click

the drive axle is the pass. but if it jumped out you might be able to get away with a clip but the boot is prolly trashed if it came out like that.

lostforawhile
12-10-2011, 06:33 PM
the drive axle is the pass. but if it jumped out you might be able to get away with a clip but the boot is prolly trashed if it came out like that.
if it pops out slightly from the transmission it won't hurt the boot at all, it's still in there just not engaged with the drive splines