PDA

View Full Version : Mr. Guru, God, All-knowing suspension guy...

pearldrop
10-16-2002, 02:52 PM
Hey Jim, I'm lazy... what is the best price you have found for H&R springs? And where did you find it. It is going to be a while before I can get the air suspension for my wagon and I need it lower. I need to at least do something. Thanks for the help.
Chris

Site
10-16-2002, 05:42 PM
Sorry man, I'm not Jim Suspension God - so I'm sure this reply disappoints you : )

Last I checked, Options Auto (www.optauto.com) had the best price on H&Rs (1.5 in). I think Jim pointed me in that direction.

I also believe Jim said that his research led him to believe that Neuspeed (1.5 in) springs have the same springrate as H&Rs, and that B&G (1.6 in) springs have an even higher spring rate.

Last I checked, www.shox.com had the best price on B&G. I've never looked up pricing on Neuspeed springs.

Now, if you wanna save $15 (shipping included) on H&Rs over Options Auto's price, then buy them off this guy on Ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1867976709

I'm sure when Jim replies that he will be able to elaborate even further on this stuff. Most of what I've said here comes from info he's shared.

Grant2k
10-16-2002, 05:57 PM
i payed like $180 for my neuspeeds through my job, and that was jobber price. i don't know what the others cost, but you should be able to find the neuspeeds around $200ish. is that a lot? Jim?

anchovies
10-16-2002, 08:29 PM
http://groupbuycenter.com/buy.asp?row_id=7035
$129.95+($15 to $25 shipping)

Jims 86LXI HB
10-16-2002, 09:15 PM
Originally posted by pearldrop
Hey Jim, I'm lazy... what is the best price you have found for H&R springs? And where did you find it. It is going to be a while before I can get the air suspension for my wagon and I need it lower. I need to at least do something. Thanks for the help.
Chris

Jezz chris :lol can't a guy stand firm for what he know's to be true and not get the label's. lol! Yeah, www.optauto.com has the H&R's for $149 . Wasn't it you that had dealings with the guy at morepowerracing? Their web site still show's $159 and free shipping. But I sure that guy is still really flaky.

Neuspeeds for around $200 is really high, $129 is a awesome price. Normally they should street price for $149/$159

Even though you talking about a 4th gen I'm pretty sure those prices apply to your wagon as well.

Chris if your wanting to get struts for it, I'd recommend trying KYB AGX's for your 4th gen, just a thought. That's up to you, I have no idea how long our planing to have the H&R's on.;)

pearldrop
10-17-2002, 06:54 AM
Thanks for the help. I don't plan on getting struts just because I plan on having air suspension before spring. By the time I buy all the stuff to lower it I could have half the air paid for. $200 is more than I want to spend but around $150 would be fine. I guess I will have to go talk to Neal at MorePower Racing again.
I have a set of Weapon R coilovers left over from my girl's Prelude but I absolutely hate the squeakiness of coilovers so I won't use them. I like real springs.

guaynabo89
10-17-2002, 11:08 AM
I bought a set of H&R's from morepowerracing. They didn't have them in stock but said they did so it took like three weeks to get here.:angry:

Jims 86LXI HB
10-17-2002, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by guaynabo89
I bought a set of H&R's from morepowerracing. They didn't have them in stock but said they did so it took like three weeks to get here.:angry:

Chris this post does remind me that I had the same problem with them. They took a long time to get payment to H&R so they could direct ship from H&R. Neal blamed H&R when it was his fault, it took WAY to long to get them. Now that I remember I'd have to say maybe it's worth a few extra dollars to go with www.optauto.com

pearldrop
10-17-2002, 01:01 PM
The H&R factory is only 20 minutes from here so maybe I could just go to them and see what they can do for me. They offered to use my brother's IS300 as a guinea pig to make true coilovers for it but in the end he didn't want to pay $1500 for them. I should go in there with him and see what they can do for me.

toastyghost
10-17-2002, 03:50 PM
I noticed this on that Group Buy Center link: "We price match, if you find anyone with a lower price than ours, let us know and we'll either meet or beat the other price!!" Doesn't shox.com pricematch their competitors, too? Just keep getting competing quotes back and forth from the two places, and see how low you can force them to sell you the springs!

Neuspeed87lx
10-17-2002, 07:04 PM
just cut the springs :stupid:

Grant2k
10-17-2002, 07:37 PM
Originally posted by Neuspeed87lx
just cut the springs :stupid:

booooooo

jteuton
10-18-2002, 10:08 AM
makes a whole lot of sense to me to cut them......its free and he's ditching this setup in less than a year.....why even spend money on em.

pearldrop
10-18-2002, 12:50 PM
I ended up cutting them last night. I dropped it exactly two inches all the way around and it is pretty low now. It rides pretty damn smooth and I have no complaints. I still want to get some H&Rs just for the hell of it. I prefer to have the stiffer ride of lowering springs. The car rides pretty much stock now, just lower. (I trimmed three inches off the bumpstops and only lowered it two inches. )

Neuspeed87lx
10-18-2002, 12:56 PM
nice

Grant2k
10-19-2002, 04:06 AM
are you gonna do anything about camber or just leave it since it's only a year?

jlaccord89lxi
10-19-2002, 12:32 PM
Pearldrop.....found these on eBay, thought you might want to have a look...their even cheaper than what Jim said...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1869667656

Jims 86LXI HB
10-19-2002, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by jlaccord89lxi
Pearldrop.....found these on eBay, thought you might want to have a look...their even cheaper than what Jim said...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1869667656

:super: I don't mind it a bit it someone can find lower prices than I can. But if it's ebay I don't count a individual seller, but that place is a power seller, that's cool. Thanks for posting that, when someone on the board ask's about H&R spring prices I'll be sure and see if those guys are still selling them at that price.

jlaccord89lxi
10-19-2002, 07:23 PM
Originally posted by Jims 86LXI HB

:super: I don't mind it a bit it someone can find lower prices than I can. But if it's ebay I don't count a individual seller, but that place is a power seller, that's cool. Thanks for posting that, when someone on the board ask's about H&R spring prices I'll be sure and see if those guys are still selling them at that price.

sorry Jim, if i pissed you off i didn't mean to, i just saw those springs and thought i'd post the link :sadwave:

Jims 86LXI HB
10-19-2002, 07:57 PM
Originally posted by jlaccord89lxi

sorry Jim, if i pissed you off i didn't mean to, i just saw those springs and thought i'd post the link :sadwave:

I'm not pissed of at all, not one little bit, I'm saying that it's a good thing to find even lower prices than I can, WAY TO GO MAN!!! :werd:

I was just pointing out that when it's a ebay price that I'd want it to be from a power seller that's a business, not a individual.

jlaccord89lxi
10-20-2002, 10:42 AM
ok then, i must've misunderstood what you said above. Just didn't want to get on anyones bad side :D

pearldrop
10-21-2002, 07:17 AM
are you gonna do anything about camber or just leave it since it's only a year?

Camber doesn't bother me that much. As long as the toe is decent the tires don't wear that much faster. I am from the old school where camber was a sign of how hardcore you were. One of the biggest minitruck clubs in the world is called Negative Camber. One of the main requirements used to be that you had to have at least 4 degrees of negative camber to be in.

Grant2k
10-21-2002, 07:40 AM
exellent.

87AccordsterLx
10-21-2002, 08:46 PM
Chris... do you have any pics taken so far???

pearldrop
10-22-2002, 06:52 AM
Not yet, There are way too many things on my list to buy before a digital camera. Most of the pics I have are from when I meet up with Mike and he takes them for me. Maybe someday I will get a camera.

It's not much to look at yet. It's just a lowered wagon on prelude wheels

Inabj2
10-24-2002, 10:56 AM
Woah Jim woah man.. calm down dude.. theres no need to get all violent.. breathe.. there you go.. there you go..

Wait.. you people are cutting springs now??!?! WTF?!??!?!?!?! Negative camber? Omfg that is to much please tell me you guys are joking please! If not please fight the ricer flu!!!

Jims 86LXI HB
10-24-2002, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by Inabj2
Woah Jim woah man.. calm down dude.. theres no need to get all violent.. breathe.. there you go.. there you go..

Wait.. you people are cutting springs now??!?! WTF?!??!?!?!?! Negative camber? Omfg that is to much please tell me you guys are joking please! If not please fight the ricer flu!!!

Oh yeah don't get me started buddy!:lol

As far as the cutting and the camber. I'm not a fan of either, but don't see a point in saying anything against it since he only plans to do it for a year.

pearldrop
10-24-2002, 11:57 AM
I will have my air ride by May so not even a year. The car rides exactly like stock right now. I honestly can't tell the difference, even on big bumps. I don't care about better handling, I just can't live with the humongous gap that it had with the prelude wheels. I am not a performance guy, if I were I wouldn't waste my time or money on a Honda.

Jims 86LXI HB
10-24-2002, 12:21 PM
I will have my air ride by May so not even a year. The car rides exactly like stock right now. I honestly can't tell the difference, even on big bumps. I don't care about better handling, I just can't live with the humongous gap that it had with the prelude wheels. I am not a performance guy, if I were I wouldn't waste my time or money on a Honda.

Didn't mean for my comment to make you feel you needed to reply chris. But it does beg the question, what's wrong with a honda when it comes to performance and suspension? And along that line of thought what would you get instead? I hope you answer isn't going to be expensive.

pearldrop
10-24-2002, 12:43 PM
I don't have anything I would get instead. I just don't care about performance other than being able to take a corner or two over the speed limit once in a while. I don't go out and push the limits. I did all that when I was younger.
If I really wanted the thrill of carving mountain roads or being at the edge of traction all the time I would be buying a motorbike and riding the go-carts more often. That is good enough for me.
There is nothing wrong with Honda's suspension, I just would definitely prefer rear wheel drive, like an MR2, Supra, AE86, Celica All-trac (AWD) or even something that would be a true project like a Fiero with a GN engine or a Porsche 944 or 914.

Jims 86LXI HB
10-24-2002, 01:42 PM
I don't have anything I would get instead. I just don't care about performance other than being able to take a corner or two over the speed limit once in a while. I don't go out and push the limits. I did all that when I was younger.
If I really wanted the thrill of carving mountain roads or being at the edge of traction all the time I would be buying a motorbike and riding the go-carts more often. That is good enough for me.
There is nothing wrong with Honda's suspension, I just would definitely prefer rear wheel drive, like an MR2, Supra, AE86, Celica All-trac (AWD) or even something that would be a true project like a Fiero with a GN engine or a Porsche 944 or 914.

:super: Amen brother I fully respect where your comming from.
I'd prefer RWD. I also would like a AWD system as long as it didn't have terminal understeer at the limit.

Grant2k
10-25-2002, 08:04 AM

i don't want to sound like some poser little kid, but i appreciate that you are a lowrider, not a performance guy. i used to have a whole 1 pump set up picked out for my car that i was dead set on buying, but i guess i just decided i like going fast rather than looking cool. if only my car actually were fast. but i still have a little lowrider magazine logo in the corner of the back window.