PDA

View Full Version : Accord-MPG's

robaroni
12-10-2011, 07:33 AM
Hi,
I had some questions about the mpg's of my 84 hatchback Accord. My book says 41 hwy.
Here's a link to real world mpg's for the Honda line:

http://www.mpgomatic.com/2007/10/16/honda-accord-gas-mileage-1978-2007/

If you notice there was a big drop from 84 to 85 and the gas went to 'R' which I'm assuming means regular although my book shows regular fuel. Actually an AKI of 86 (R+M/2 at the pump) which we use here in the states.

One of the things I'm doing on my Honda is checking each emission system and the carb. Since my Honda ony has 37k on it I should be able to get relatively good mileage. I just put synthetic in the tranny and the engine has synthetic also (5W-30). JHonda recommends 10W-30 but I think 5W-30 should be fine. I knowthere are some people going to 0W-30 and 0W-40 but I'm not sure I want to go that far.
I'll try to post my findings when I get the engine running as good as possible. Today I'm going out to adjust the mixture with a propane tank and check the rest of the sensors. I've found three bad so far and I expect some of you not getting such good mileage in these years have bad dashpots in your cars as I see my mileage steadily rising as I address each issue. For example, My car ran with a bad vacuum advance dashpot but my mileage suffered. I'm wondering how many people will notice this or the choke closer dashpot which I also found bad.
You can see elsewhere here where I show the rebuild of the "control valve" or as my diagram calls it the "one shot". I'm working to make the car 100% stock before I try any mods, if in fact, I do mod it.

Rob