PDA

View Full Version : Ultimate Sanity Mod!

87DXHatch
10-16-2002, 03:01 PM
Has this scenario ever happened to you:

You pull up at somebody's house to pick them up. When they open the passenger side door, a beeping noise starts going off and continues until you reach your destination and the engine is shut off. The person punches you directly in the crotch for making them listen to that unbelievably annoying beep for the whole ride and then proceeds to desert you... somehow. You are frustrated and in pain.

Sound familiar? Yeah, I thought it would. Well today I FIXED IT! I took down the rear view mirror, undid two more screws up there, and took down that little plastic part that the beeping comes from. Turns out there's a tiny circuit board in there with two light bulbs and a beeper. Unscrew a screw from the middle of it, and KA-ZAAM the circuit board is out. Rescrew the mirror and plastic piece and the beeping will forever stop.

Just in case anybody wanted to know how to make it stop...

Also, I noticed that that circuit board doesn't seem to tie into any other system in the car so just removing the board has no effect on anything else!

X-D

socal3rdgen
10-16-2002, 03:09 PM
what beep ar you talking about. when does this happen

87DXHatch
10-16-2002, 03:13 PM
HAhahahaha!

:-|

I think my car is kind of messed up :lol Anyways, I think it is supposed to go off when you have like the driver's side door ajar and start driving. It has only gone off for real once for me... but it often goes off simply when the car is on and the passenger door is open, for some reason... I think it might have something to do with the passenger door not activating the dome light sometimes when it's opened. The only way to make it stop is to turn the car off and turn it back on, and I never do that, so I just went the simple route to fix it.

Mantis88LX
10-16-2002, 04:21 PM
mine had this annoyinh rattle coming from there, i check up in there and a metal bar was up there that was loose and rattling so i ripped it out.

89SE-ICoupe
10-18-2002, 08:00 AM
Thanks for that very useful bit of information! I HATE that beep!

Neuspeed87lx
10-18-2002, 12:49 PM
i thought that only beeped when the driver side door was open ?

89SE-ICoupe
10-18-2002, 01:09 PM
unfortunately, not on my car.

87DXHatch
10-18-2002, 08:36 PM
Not on my car either... I have helped one person... that means I have accomplished my goal... if I help more than one, then great!

shepherd79
10-19-2002, 04:07 AM
you guys have hatchbacks, i have sedan and i have never heard this sound when passanger door is open. on my car it is only when driver side door is open.
i just took some hail and showed where the that small speaker on that board is. turned a few times. now i don't hear a thing.

87DXHatch
10-19-2002, 01:22 PM
Well... he has a coupe. I just don't care to have it up there at all... damn thing never did me any good.

Bobs89LXi
10-20-2002, 08:06 AM
It is the warning chime for the seatbelts. It is there to remind you to buckle them up. The two bulbs light the seatbelt indicators above the rearview mirror. These days, for most people fastening the seatbelt when getting into the car has become routine and almost a force of habit. So, it's just another idiot light to contend with.

87DXHatch
10-20-2002, 08:18 AM
I contended with it all right...

88 Accord DX
10-21-2002, 05:12 AM
mine makes that same damn annoying beeping sound but it does it when someone puts on the seat belt, then takes it off. my girlfriend thinks its real funny to take off her seat belt and drive me crazy with that damn noise. thanks though. when ill get home ill ruin her fun!!

3G Jester
10-22-2002, 06:05 AM
ummm...ya...i did that months ago----i didnt even remove the whole reveiw mirror---i just removed the outer houing--3 screws i think.....and u remove the plastic shell--then i just unhooked the circut that beeeps. no more noise. PLus i had a short underneith the passenger seat that was the casue of it......i dont remmeber exactly--but it had to do with the sensor----it was like 200 bucks to fix. but it was the seatbelt sensor so i figure its a goods safety investment.

POS carb
10-11-2005, 01:55 PM
omg wtf are you talking about? I have nothing by my mirror. Is this one of those dumb 87-88 model year changes?
On mine the box under the radio used to beep until I jammed a screwdriver in the beeper

b8er
10-11-2005, 02:45 PM
i dont know what you guys are talkig about either, the only little beep i get was from underneath the the radio in a little box, i just unplugged the box and no more beep

3G Jester
10-11-2005, 06:12 PM
wow eric..i hadnt seen this post in FOREVER until you raised it from the dead

POS carb
10-13-2005, 12:14 PM
lol.. must have been b/c of a search or those server problems we were having, how weird!
:bong:

frankie89
10-13-2005, 02:54 PM
hmmm too weird..

mkymonkey
10-14-2005, 10:55 AM
well i have a 2dr lxi and that beeping sound only goes off when my passenger takes off his/her seatbelt or when i do it. not on any other times.

3rdgenhatchDX
10-24-2005, 02:20 PM
Thanx for the info, my HB is silent when my deranged brother rides along, he takes his belt off for "quick exiting reasons" like we're gonna go into a lake...

BITESIZE
10-24-2005, 02:27 PM
Just unhook the black box underneath where the cd player is .

A18A
10-31-2005, 03:59 PM
Only beep in my car is when the lights are on and the door is open or when your going over 120kph :S

Mars
11-01-2005, 01:35 PM
or when your going over 120kph :S

You know this by experience?

charlesb2003
12-01-2005, 01:20 PM
i have a similar problem... mine does not light up, but beeps constantly. it has done this ever since i put in my new speakers/headunit. i'm not sure if i accidentally disconnected something behind the headunit, in the door, or under the seat that could be causing this, as i was fooling around in all 3 places. i'm going to check on this as soon as i get a chance - i'd like to fix it and not just bypass this feature. i like having a light and beeper annoy the shiz out of my passenger until they buckle up - saves me from doing it.

oh, and btw, for those who are wondering wtf we are talking about... if you have a sedan you don't have it. if you have a coupe or hatchback where the seatbelts are mounted to the body, you don't have it. these were only installed in coupes and hatches which had the seatbelts attached to the doors, and were designed to remind the driver and front passenger to buckle up. interestingly enough, the seatbelts were designed to stay buckled and allow you to open the door and slide in and out with them buckled. no one that i know of does that, tho.

charlesb2003
12-01-2005, 01:20 PM
and i think the reason it doesn't light up for the passenger is because the bulb is burnt out...