PDA

View Full Version : Car won't start, need help ASAP! 1988 Accord

4literranger485
12-13-2011, 04:35 PM
I have a 1988 Accord LX, carb'd, 5 speed, 227k miles. Just yesterday it stalled, luckily, just when I was in my parking spot at home. Then it wouldn't restart. Tried again today, still no start.

fuel filters are approximately 10k miles old (around 1 year)

used starter fluid, no start. poured small amount of gas in carb, no start.

Pulled the fuel filter in the engine bay, and noticed that no fuel was in that. Turned the key on, and attempted to start to see if fuel would piss out of the fuel line, but nothing came out.

Is my fuel pump shot? I know these old carb'd pumps dont put out much pressure, should the fuel even squirt out of the line with the key on/cranking?

My next plan is to check the rear fuel filter in the same manner and see if i can get any fuel to come out when the key is on or cranking over.

Any help is appreciated, i need to get this fixed ASAP!!

CzEcHy
12-13-2011, 05:44 PM
New fuel pump.

poncho-lx
12-13-2011, 06:20 PM
check the CUT OFF relay

4literranger485
12-13-2011, 06:23 PM
thanks for the tip poncho. I've been perusing the PDF manual and found a decent troubleshooting section for the fuel system.

but for now i guess i'll have to commute in the mustang.....i'll miss my 32 mpgs LOL

Pnem3
12-13-2011, 07:10 PM
Find the fuel pump (it is in the back seat area on the drivers side). See if you have power to the harness at the pump. You will only have power while the car is cranking or running. If you get power then focus on the pump. If you get no power then look to the relays. Either way, (power or not) jump wire the pump by directly wiring it to a 12V power source. The pump should run and you should hear it. If you don't hear the pump then tap on the pump housing with a metal tool and see if you can get it to start. Most of the time these pumps die when the brushes go bad. Taping on it may get it to run but it will only run a few times.

I hope this helps.

4literranger485
12-13-2011, 08:13 PM
thanks again for the help guys! Hope to get more troubleshooting done tomorrow. anyone recommend a good pump replacement? I think i found one on rock auto for $35 shipped, and i'll probably just get the pump/tank seal here locally (if indeed it is the pump)

Also, i'm open to any and all ideas so keep 'em coming!

4literranger485
12-18-2011, 11:21 AM
ok, my pump was not getting power.

I removed the fuel cut-off relay and jumpered pins 1-2 per the honda manual and heard the fuel pump running!

i then removed the front fuel filter (in engine bay) to verify that the pump was pumping. Fuel squirted out just like it should. this, again, is with the cut-off relay removed and pins 1-2 jumpered to get the power to the pump. so the pump is good.

I reinstalled the filter, and then tried starting the car...but still no start? Will the car just not run with the fuel cut-off relay not installed? I believe at this point the pump is obviously good, and the relay should be the problem. But shouldn't the car still run with the relay pulled? I don't want to order a new relay and have the car still not run. Thanks in advance gentlemen!

omianan
01-29-2012, 07:13 PM
Since this post is over a month old, I assume that you have solved this by now. What worked for me when I had a bad fuel pump relay on my 88 LX was running power from the tail light to the pump through the trunk. Just run a wire from the tail light positive terminal to the positive terminal on the pump. I used the light switch to turn the lights on and off which turned the pump on and off. I got to the Auto Parts store and back home again using this method and then changed the relay. I didn't try running the engine with the relay removed.

POS carb
02-04-2012, 02:03 PM
I would suspect that there is no tach signal from the coil which would cause the fuel pump relay not to open. It should have tried to run with the starting spray and the gas being poured in if the coil was working. I would suspect a bad coil or pickup in the distributor, you need to check for spark!
p.s. don't hack your wiring. please please please.
take it from someone who has learned a lot and hacked a lot on this car! if you need a relay I will give you one, just cover the shipping