PDA

View Full Version : New 3g owner!

quinn
12-13-2011, 08:42 PM
Heya,
Decided to register since it seems you guys frown on lurkers that just want to read...

Was trying to find some parts and information for my '89 Accord LX-i 5MT 4 door.
I'm from Mid-Southwest Washington state not too far from Olympia

I bought my Honda from a family member(Won't do it again, promise.) not knowing it had a few other issues with it. I went into the deal knowing that I had to replace the radiator. but not that it had no 5th gear.

*Edit-> Oh, it has 320,000 Miles on it. Engine runs like a top aside from an oil leak I haven't located yet. Halp?
It's blue (B49-M) pretty clean body with a couple dings, and no rust.
Sunroof leaks. Don't know what to do about it, it's seal looks pretty intact. previous owner has sealed the portion that isn't under a visor.

Ended up having to get a new battery because it had no more cranking amps left. I assumed it was fine/had a bad connection because it showed 13.8-14.1 Volts all the time

So here I am, pleading for help with my Honda.
I need a few things for it like,
a new/used gearset, some information on how to replace said gears.
a new driver's door window regulator assembly
new heater/air controls
information regarding what belt I need to re-enable the A/C Compressor.

The transmission being my first and foremost priority.
Sadly I cant find any 3gs in the yards near my home because they have sold all of their old crap for scrap money. I am unable to find any information as to where to get such things. Furthermore, NEW parts from online or retail stores are kind of out of my budget until I get a job. If that happens, I'd most likely have a shop do it.
I ask for information on how to do the replacement of these gears because I have access to a shop, but not the experience.
I want to fix this before 4th goes out on me.

After I got done kicking myself in the ass for buying it without highway testing it, I immediately fell in love with it. it was a really nice step up from my 1982 BMW 320i e21. Got a nice basic sound setup to boot and a cool winter jacket in the trunk :D

bryan6732
12-13-2011, 11:51 PM
Welcome!

I gotta admit I have been lurking for two years as well before introducing myself! ;)

itzdave
12-14-2011, 08:04 AM
:welcome: from whidbey island!

2ndGenGuy
12-14-2011, 09:47 AM
:welcome: fellow Olympian!

I betcha that oil leak is coming from the oil filter base gasket. You can still get the gaskets new from Honda, I'm pretty sure. The part that your oil filter actually screws onto unbolts from the engine block, and there's a gasket under that. They all go bad.

Also, I don't know if I'd bother replacing gears. You can get a junkyard transmission for $50. Have you been to Pick-A-Part out by the airport? They usually have about 10 3rd gens out there.

obdriver6
12-14-2011, 12:20 PM
Welcome! I don't think anybody minds lurkers, I was one for about 2 years. :D Your best bet is to got to a junk yard for all those parts.

quinn
12-14-2011, 03:56 PM
:welcome: fellow Olympian!

I betcha that oil leak is coming from the oil filter base gasket. You can still get the gaskets new from Honda, I'm pretty sure. The part that your oil filter actually screws onto unbolts from the engine block, and there's a gasket under that. They all go bad.

Also, I don't know if I'd bother replacing gears. You can get a junkyard transmission for $50. Have you been to Pick-A-Part out by the airport? They usually have about 10 3rd gens out there.

This may sound stupid but I've had issues trying to get the airbox/intake/etc.. hanging up on something :s

Thanks for the suggestion.. No, I haven't been to pick-a-part, a bit out of my way, I'm actually on the way to Aberdeen...
But since this is a common issue, would they have any that are intact? x3 and yes, it was suggested to me that I could pick one up for a Nifty. Would be a hundred times easier to install. I'm great at tearing things apart, but not putting them back together. I'll check it out when I have the money and a tank full of gas or when a friend helps me out x3
Are they like the yards out here where they don't let customers on the property except for the office? and will they pull the part for ya I've no floorjack any more. It got swiped by someone from the shop.

jamjuree40
01-23-2012, 10:51 PM
good job

Honda Man
01-24-2012, 12:48 AM
Welcome from California! That's mest up that they didn't say everything that was wrong. You will get plenty of help on this site. And as for lurking....beter late then never man!

Prionance glauca
01-24-2012, 09:03 AM
If your going to spend money on a trans get one from a 2gee prelude its called a2k5 swap I did one myself it was very easy and i spent less than 175 bux with new shaft seals and honda Mtf. Don't use any thing else other than honda mtf. Pick n pull will sell any trans for 165 or 125 with core good deal. You will notice the difference its allot more sporty. Welcome from Vancouver Wa. http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=76788

ThePhantum
01-24-2012, 05:12 PM
Welcome from Virginia!! Hope you will post some pics of it. Good luck with the trans!! Getting harder to find these gems.

Dr_Snooz
01-25-2012, 05:03 PM
Welcome from California!

maghett004
02-07-2012, 05:13 AM
Hi !
I am new to this forum. I am very happy to be here.