PDA

View Full Version : Whats the difference in these two HID style bulbs??

viking805fan
12-15-2011, 10:35 AM
H4 (HB2) (9003) Lo/Hi Halogen (Low-Beam Xenon/High-Beam Halogen) vs. H4 (HB2) (9003) Bi-Xenon

might be a dumb question, but whats the difference there both 8000k and are H4 so they can fit with the autopal housings i bought..

89HatchbackLxi
12-15-2011, 11:14 AM
I think the first -H4 (HB2) (9003) Lo/Hi Halogen (Low-Beam Xenon/High-Beam Halogen)- is a 8000k HID low beam with a Halogen High beam, while the H4 (HB2) (9003) Bi-Xenon uses HID for BOTH high and low settings.

2ndGenGuy
12-15-2011, 11:22 AM
For the love of god, please don't install HIDs in your car. You're just going to blind everybody, even with the best housings, the HID bulbs are all still cheap made in China junk.

viking805fan
12-15-2011, 11:38 AM
@89HatchbackLxi: Any suggestion of which one might be better? I was thinking of the Bi-Xenon option either 6000k or 8000k

DBMaster
12-15-2011, 12:12 PM
I was doing some research online for another post on this topic. It seems that the consensus is that conversion type HID capsules in housings made for halogen bulbs are not ideal. Many of the housings for halogens are pretty marginal these days, especially the cheap ones. The majority opinion seemed to be that HID capsules need to go into housings made for HID's. With that said, some people on this forum have indicated decent results. I read about a type of bulb called an "HIR" that will work with the standard housing setup with no ballasts required. They are supposed to have a light output about 75-90% of what an HID would give - IF you can find them. Philips' relatively new "X-Treme" series bulbs are supposed to be similar.

I have seen an awful lot of vehicles on the road with colored halogen bulbs and, frankly, I think they look awful. They look nothing like HID's. 2ndGenGuy is right about blinding other drivers, though. HID capsules lack the internal metal shielding that is present in an H4 halogen bulb.

2ndGenGuy
12-15-2011, 12:21 PM
Also, I'm pretty sure that HIR bulbs are DOT approved. While there are no aftermarket H4 HID bulbs that are.

DBMaster
12-15-2011, 12:33 PM
I believe you are correct. On this forum I see plenty of people doing "illegal" modifications to their cars so I don't think that argument often holds much water here, though, I try to comply with laws.

Did you know that high wattage halogens (i.e. 80/100W) are not street legal, either?

2ndGenGuy
12-15-2011, 12:48 PM
Well, I'm not huge on worrying about what's legal and what's not. It's mostly the fact that these HID lights are so blinding that they can't possibly pass DOT specs. If someone did build DOT legal H4 HIDs, then they probably wouldn't be blinding.

Also, I'm fine with having some sort of super bright set of high beams on a car, I had some great running lights that were awesome out on the backroads. But I had their relays running off of my high beam circuits, so they would turn off when I flipped off the high beams. It's not like your high-beams won't blind people if you leave them on either.

They weren't so bad when they were expensive, and weren't in every other car on the road. But now it's just that everybody has them, and it's like an epidemic of getting blinded by people who put their cool status above everybody else's right to be able to see. I used to be so hot to get them myself, but now I just don't want to be a douchebag. Or maybe I'm just getting old...

DBMaster
12-15-2011, 01:28 PM
^^I think I'm in the same boat - I am 46. I had a 72 Pontiac Catalina with the quad round lights (like on a 1G). I replaced the outer (high/low) beams with H4 housings from Marcal. Those beat the holy hell out of the old non-halogen sealed beams. When I used 55/60W bulbs everything was fine. Then, I decided to be a douchebag and install my "retina burners." They were 80/100W bulbs. Almost immediately I had to replace the headlight switch and foot pedal dimmer because I did not install a relay.

Do you remember the movie "Christine?" I was just so enamored with the ultra-bright quad headlights on that Plymouth Fury that I had to have it. Not a whole lot of use for headlights like that around here these days. In fact, I basically never even get to use my high beams.

gfrg88
12-15-2011, 02:39 PM
HIDs FTW!!!! Buy them, I love them :)

2ndGenGuy
12-15-2011, 03:04 PM
You get tons of light, so who cares everybody else, right? :dunno:

viking805fan
12-15-2011, 06:28 PM
should I go for 6000k or 8000k???

gfrg88
12-15-2011, 08:44 PM
Never had anyone complain.. friends in front of me say they're not bad actually. If you aim them right, they won't be as bad...

I'd go for 6k.. 8k looks cheap and ricy IMO..

To each his own :thumbup:

viking805fan
12-15-2011, 11:51 PM
@gfrg88:

thanks, I was thinking about the 6000k, what kind of setup do you have? U install Single light HID, Bi-Xenon HID bulb, or the Low Xenon HID with High Fluorescent bulbs.

gfrg88
12-16-2011, 07:58 AM
just the low beam hid. no high beams, if I try they turn off

import racer
12-16-2011, 09:25 AM
I saw on a vintage mustang site they have led headlights for the cars with the round headlights, that might be a source for you to check out.

89HatchbackLxi
12-16-2011, 09:15 PM
@gfrg88:

thanks, I was thinking about the 6000k, what kind of setup do you have? U install Single light HID, Bi-Xenon HID bulb, or the Low Xenon HID with High Fluorescent bulbs.

I'd go with 6000k Bi-Xenon HID, any higher than 6000k and your going to have worse visibility. Also, I think the blue or purple (8000k and higher) don't match the look of the 3G.

MessyHonda
12-21-2011, 11:01 PM
im thinking about this too since i got my autopals my headlight just burnt out today. i seen 6k in person and i like the way they look. any good places to buy hids besides ebay or craigslist