PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of going from havoiline 10-40 to 15w-40 Rotella

Oldblueaccord
12-15-2011, 11:07 PM
Price wise per gallon I saw 15-40 for 17.99$ where as Havoline is 23$. The knock of brand at Tractor supply brand 15w-40 was 9.99$ on sale. Maybe its time for a change......

wp

bryan6732
12-15-2011, 11:31 PM
Hard one, although I'd never save on lubricants...

Oldblueaccord
12-16-2011, 12:42 PM
Yes quite true.

The 15w-40 Shell Rotella is for Diesel motors or is rated for them much like your Delo is. Its should have a better additive package.

http://www.shell.com/home/content/rotella/products/tpl_pro/

I have used Havoline 10w-40 for 25 years now its just getting to expensive at 4.29$ a quart.

wp

Oldblueaccord
05-17-2015, 03:19 PM
Well i tried some of the 15w-40 Tractor supply Shell knock off. Used the last of it this year in the 77 Chrysler. Smoke Smoke smoke. Like most of the cheap oils I have used it burns quick on worn motors. Smokes bad in my pick up as well. Its going back to 10w 40 as well.

Im pretty much staying with 10w-40 on the Accord. Just cant complain about Havoline oil. Ill just keep catching the sales on it.

Keeping the recommended oil on the new cars. 0w -40 Penzoil is pricey.

gp02a0083
05-18-2015, 09:13 AM
why are you going to a higher viscosity? 10w-30 and 10w-40 should be fine for these cars. FYI the rotella is available in 10-30 and 10-40, believe it or not but go to your local home depot. They carry the shell rotella in their automotive section, buy 6 at a time to get a better discount, puts the price to less than $3 / qt and you will have all the nice additives.

Dr_Snooz
05-24-2015, 09:31 PM
I've been trying the Parts Master stuff for $16 or so in the big jug from my local parts guys. They claim it's made by Valvoline. It seems to work well enough on the truck.

2oodoor
05-25-2015, 03:05 PM
why are you going to a higher viscosity? 10w-30 and 10w-40 should be fine for these cars. FYI the rotella is available in 10-30 and 10-40, believe it or not but go to your local home depot. They carry the shell rotella in their automotive section, buy 6 at a time to get a better discount, puts the price to less than $3 / qt and you will have all the nice additives.

that is pretty wild that the Home Depot has an automotive section, I found that the best deal on floor mats and batteries there last summer, I can never get out of that place in less than an hour, just too much otherwise cool stuff besides what I went in for, everywhere

gp02a0083
05-26-2015, 09:38 AM
that is pretty wild that the Home Depot has an automotive section, I found that the best deal on floor mats and batteries there last summer, I can never get out of that place in less than an hour, just too much otherwise cool stuff besides what I went in for, everywhere

yah, i'ts nearly impossible to leave that store with just an item or two. but im curious why thinking going to 15w-40? ive seen guys use the thicker oil to kinda mask valve stem seal or ring issues in old and work engines.

i found out home depot carried the rotella in the lighter viscosity when i could no longer find it by the case at costco / BJ's. I just happened to stumble across their automotive section the one day i was looking at the 18V makita tools ( impact gun and grinder)

as far as the shell vs havoline stuff , i cant make a comment on what is better. I have not looked at the tech sheets for the havoline, however today's blends of castrol, penzoil, and quaker state are pretty much on par with one another with around 900 ppm of the metals we are interested in last i took a look .

Oldblueaccord
05-30-2015, 12:17 AM
yah, i'ts nearly impossible to leave that store with just an item or two. but im curious why thinking going to 15w-40? ive seen guys use the thicker oil to kinda mask valve stem seal or ring issues in old and work engines.

i found out home depot carried the rotella in the lighter viscosity when i could no longer find it by the case at costco / BJ's. I just happened to stumble across their automotive section the one day i was looking at the 18V makita tools ( impact gun and grinder)

as far as the shell vs havoline stuff , i cant make a comment on what is better. I have not looked at the tech sheets for the havoline, however today's blends of castrol, penzoil, and quaker state are pretty much on par with one another with around 900 ppm of the metals we are interested in last i took a look .

The 15-40 Diesel oil got going with people worried about wiping out lobes on flat tappet camshafts. I think there was something to it on high performance high lift cams.
I was just looking for a better quality oil and a better price. I do have several gallons of Shell Rotella im holding on to for a motor break in. That and some break additives should be ok for most applications.

The tractor supply Traveler brand 15w-40 just didnt pan out. I got several gallons at 9.99$. I never actually ran it in my Honda. Never lost a motor either.

As far as the 15 w it is small enough difference that it doesnt effect me in my area since winters rarely go below 20 degrees here for any length of time. I also always let my vehicles run a few minutes before driving and i never get on them until the motor temps are up fully. I have had alotta luck with this alone.