PDA

View Full Version : Advance/retard diaphram???

Dutchboy
10-16-2002, 04:39 PM
Ok i was goign to do the timing on my car and it says to let it warm up to operating temperature and then unplug the lines from the advance unit and plug them...

i unplugged i think #25 and it ran fine still ...and unplug #2 ANd it runs like a pile of shit....it was almost stalling out..hardly running ...

So im wondering if this is normal aand supposed to happen????????? :wtf:

Thanks in advance....
im thinking it screwed and casuing the rough running now...i sure hope its this simpple..

UPDATE:::

i went back outside and took the lines off and plugged them...
Does the book mean your supposed to plug the lines from the vaccuum side not the diaprhram itself..since i thought that it would act like a huge vaccum leak and make it run like shit.....I guess that the book isnt to clear on what to plug and unplugg etc...
so i think i got it now....
i wasnt thinking clearly

Ben

dj99
10-16-2002, 04:46 PM
That's normal. Plug them both off, and then set your timing to the white mark. Plug 2 back in, and then the timing should jump to the red mark. #25 is the secondary and works at a higher RPM.

A20A1
10-16-2002, 04:48 PM
yes. with out the advance diaphragm hooked up your timming should return to the base setting. there is a white "T" that you point the arrow to when you unhook both vacuum lines.

if you want to advance the distrubutor manualy during this time... turn the distributor till the three red marks appear. "l | l" (Don't pass the first smaller red mark on top so when you install the vacuum lines it passes the lower red mark.

normaly it's up to the advance diaphragm to set the timing to the center red mark, after you have set the base timing to TDC (the white "T" mark.

Dutchboy
10-16-2002, 04:51 PM
ok thanks...so if they dont aline after the timing to the white mark and the lines plugged back in i guess the diarphram is toast

Ben

Dutchboy
10-16-2002, 05:33 PM
ok now heres whats up

I figured out how to time it fine...
and it was way out....like way out...but it still is missing hardcore..

shouldnt the white line look like its sitting still on the pointer????
well it isnt...its jumping up and down a bunch..and it has a noticable miss..

and then it said to connect the timing light to the #4 cylinder and the timing shouldnt change....it was pretty much the same except that the white line was below the pointer and jumping still

it said to do this to check the distributor bearings and if it worn at all....so iguess its the distributor casuing this missing crap...

or would the temperature sender do this...or a vaccum leak..or the carb???

I wish i had efi!!!!!!!!!!:flame:

Ben

Dutchboy
10-16-2002, 06:57 PM
does the egr affect the running at all which would make it run like shit,??

becasue i can feel it missing throught the driving range....
can i just remove the egr ??

im going to work on it tomoorow and see what i can find...im so sick of it miss firing.

im going to check EGR..for vaccum leaks...linkage problems...float level ....plug gaps....is there anything else to chck??????

Ben

A20A1
10-16-2002, 07:55 PM
fuel filters, fuel pressure.

make sure you set the idle to the right rpm.

like if you disengage vacuum advance, then line up the pointer to the "T" then plug in vacuum advance and set the idle to the correct speed... then check the pointer to see which red mark it points to.

TOP MARK
MIDDLE MARK
BOTTOM MARK

but if the idle speed is right and the advance still doesn't reach the middlle mark then you have a possible vacuum leak. Other then that it's ethier ignition or fuel problems.

I like to have my disributor advanced so when you plug in the vacuum lines, the pointer hits right on or a little after the bottom red mark, then just readjust idle to compensate for the advance.

1988starter
10-16-2002, 08:31 PM
Please describe what kind of missing you are getting.

Dutchboy
10-16-2002, 09:27 PM
ok ...

yah the marks dont stay steady and i get the mark to aline with the middle and top red line....

its so hard to say since its moving around so much...like it vibraating back and forth...so i dont know what it is..
i readjusted the idle after wards too...but it still has a jumpy tach and a very noticable miss while running...it happens everyfew seconds

Starter::::
its a noticable miss which cant be corrected with timing or idle..
ive got a carb so it could be something differnet then yours but things to check are
egr...distributor(the whole thing)..
i did test the distributor but have no clue if what i got means anything...its such a hard miss its too hard to know excactly were the marks are aligning to on the flywheel.

Ben

A20A1
10-16-2002, 09:34 PM
let the engine cool down and check the plugs.

check for overly black plugs with deposits (rich or oil fowled) and white frosted plugs (lean)