PDA

View Full Version : Goofy idling

Phatman
12-20-2011, 01:10 PM
88 Accord LX-i
A20A3

Car's been sitting awhile due to some issues along with my buying a 6th gen Accord so I can loosen up on the stress a little bit.

As of late, I'll fire up the motor to keep it loose. Now, the car isn't without issues and sat for 2 years before I picked it up. Both idle control valves were replaced and I've had the idle speed around 800-900 RPM's. When the car warms up, it will take a little while to settle into slow idle, but seems to do okay for a bit. That's when it gets goofy. The motor about dies but then kicks right back up. It's almost like letting the clutch out and not getting enough on the gas and the motor nearly dies.

It will run like this until it decides to die off. It will fire right back up, but idling just isn't happening at the moment.

I still need to replace the injectors, valve cover gasket, and a number of other things when and if I get the money for it unless it gets picked up by someone soon.

Just wondering what y'all thought. I have NO idea how many miles are on the motor. The cluster in the car when I bought it had 210k when I got the new dash, but was from a 2 door.

Thanks guy. :D

ShyBoyCA6
12-20-2011, 01:52 PM
Car thats been sitting that long is gonna need fuel system cleaning and new 02 sensors
it should run fine after that.

Phatman
12-20-2011, 02:27 PM
I've been driving it for the last year and a half. Probably could use a new filter. O2 sensors have been on my list for some time as well.

Lindsey453
05-27-2012, 07:27 AM
i have the same issue in my lxi. like after i drive kinda hard. and i let off the idle will drop down and almost die and sometimes it does die.. what should i change to fix this issue??????

derolph
05-31-2012, 06:03 AM
i have the same issue in my lxi. like after i drive kinda hard. and i let off the idle will drop down and almost die and sometimes it does die.. what should i change to fix this issue??????Very hard to say since you've provided no info about your maintenance history. This would include such items as oxygen sensors, fuel filter, air filter, use of fuel injector/fuel system cleaner, etc.