PDA

View Full Version : Unique Car in its Own Time

DBMaster
12-21-2011, 02:31 PM
This has probably been posted before, but still worth having a read.

http://www.carlustblog.com/2009/06/1986-1989-honda-accord.html

DBMaster
12-21-2011, 03:51 PM
I'll be the first to comment on my own post. I knew a couple of folks in 1986 who purchased the "new" Accord. Both were DX hatchbacks because, at the time, this was a rather pricey car for its market. One of the people who had one let me drive it about 100 miles. It was a DX five-speed hatchback. I was impressed by the fact that it accelerated as well as my 72 Pontiac with a 6.6 liter engine. Honestly, though, it was cool looking. The Accord has lost that. The current offering from Honda has a front end that looks like it belongs on a truck. It has an awesome interior, truly a luxury car, but it has somehow lost its uniqueness. I hate to say it, but my next vehicle (if I ever own a "next vehicle") will probably not be a Honda. This car was truly overbuilt for its time and will remain one of the world's greatest automotive anomalies.

Tdurr
12-21-2011, 06:02 PM
Wow, great find. I agree with everything said here. IMO it's under-appreciated today in the Honda world.

DBMaster
12-22-2011, 06:30 AM
I was right in the middle of my career as a poor college student when these cars were new. Purchasing one was definitely out of the question. I actually inherited my Accord in July of 89 when my grandmother passed away. It had 1,500 miles on it. The thing cost $15,000 and the dealers were NOT negotiating at the time. They couldn't keep these cars on the lots. It was the best selling car in the U.S. for its entire run. Ford sold more Tauruses, but if the rental fleet sales were subtracted Honda sold more Accords to individuals. Try to recall what the Camry and Stanza looked like at the time. The Accord was like a sports car by comparison. Ultimately, it was that sportiness that resulted in the 4th generation looking somewhat stodgy and conservative by comparison. The suspension was softened and the automatics made to shift less noticeably. It seems that America wasn't quite ready for the 3G.

bryan6732
12-22-2011, 07:25 AM
True from the first until the last word!
Got nothing to add to this story. :)

charliekuney
12-22-2011, 12:00 PM
Excellent story! Thanks for posting, I haven't seen that one before.

stat1K
12-22-2011, 01:26 PM
wow that much in 89? 5 years must have done wonders for honda, my dad purchased his 85 hatchback brand new in 1984 when my brother was a baby for just over 7000.

good find and good read.

DBMaster
12-22-2011, 02:56 PM
Yes, 15K. I have the original window sticker. As I mentioned, Honda dealers were not discounting these. In fact, they didn't discount much at all in the time period. When I was looking at minivans in 2001 if you wanted an Odyssey you could not test drive one. You put down $500 and when it came in you drove it. If you didn't like it there were 50 people waiting to buy it. Where did THAT Honda Motor Company go?

ecogabriel
12-22-2011, 03:07 PM
Interesting article and I agree 100% with it.

A simple yet elegant car and with a bit of technology under the hood to boot. That was the time Honda was ruling F-1 with its V-6 turbo engines and no question the advances in, say, programmed fuel injection trickled down to the street cars; I still cannot believe electronic fuel injection in a compact car in 1986.

Competition? The 2G camry with its V-6 engine had more power but for style it looked like a big corolla. The Stanza was just atrociously horrible. And the Tauruses that "sold" so well are all but gone. Our 3Gs still roam the streets although - I regret to say - some of them are just being run to the ground.

carotman
12-22-2011, 07:20 PM
Very nice find!

obdriver6
12-23-2011, 02:31 PM
That article is so true. I also believe this has been the best accord honda made.

Dr_Snooz
12-24-2011, 08:59 AM
I remember reading this one some time ago. It really captures the essence of what makes these cars so special. Definitely worth a re-read. Thanks DBMaster!

12v
12-26-2011, 08:02 PM
Both these articles well worth the read, read the 2nd one a couple times now actually.

DBMaster
12-27-2011, 06:22 AM
Yes, you can actually direct NON-ACCORD OWNERS to it to help them understand why you are so fanatical about keeping an old "family car" on the road.

Dr_Snooz
12-27-2011, 09:25 PM
Yes, you can actually direct NON-ACCORD OWNERS to it to help them understand why you are so fanatical about keeping an old "family car" on the road.

LOL! I think everyone I know has long given up thinking that anything rational is motivating me. To try to suggest that my love is rational would only muddy the waters at this point! :rofl:

DBMaster
12-28-2011, 08:58 AM
My family and friends just think I'm incredibly cheap, twisted, or both.

reliantkcar
01-01-2012, 10:05 AM
As a side note my boss has. A 2011 Honda accord. The dashboard is black styrofoam. And it handles like my 91 Pontiac 6000 with no sway bar and accelerates slower than My 82 reliant with a blown head gasket. Wat is going on with Honda they don't even use double wishbone. Suspension. Anymore....

DBMaster
01-01-2012, 10:51 AM
Double wishbone, I guess, is too complicated and "unnecessarily good" for American drivers. That's why Honda began "downgrading" suspensions on the Accord from the 4th gen on.

On a side note, I very clearly recall the big deal with the K-cars that Chrysler introduced in the very early 80's. It was the shared platform and commonality of parts that others used as a model later. Regardless of what you think of the cars themselves they were real trendsetters themselves.

reliantkcar
01-01-2012, 11:25 AM
Hence my screen name on here.I drive Honda's for reliability. And gas milage I have a bunch of k car derivatives. And everything is interchangable

Dr_Snooz
01-01-2012, 08:33 PM
My dad LOVED his K-car. He just couldn't say enough good things about it. It was a miserable monster of a car to drive and we all hated it, especially when the transmission would randomly start banging into gears. He loved that he could tension the alternator belt with a wrench instead of a crow bar. There were a few other things he loved that I can't remember. It all boiled down to some engineer actually thinking about the poor fool who would have to work on the car and making it a little easier. He loved that car to his dying day even though it was not very reliable and didn't last very long. LOL

reliantkcar
01-01-2012, 10:23 PM
Everything is up front. Even the oil filter is right there. And the ground clearance. Is so hi that u can change. The oil without jacking it up.

Edison Carasio
01-03-2012, 06:35 AM
Makes me really want another one. I would probably trade my CRX for one in a heartbeat, but alas, no one out there is jumping ot trade a 5 speed accord for an auto CRX. lol