PDA

View Full Version : Drive Belt

vteckiller
12-30-2011, 05:07 PM
So im driving home and im like a about a mile away from my place.. i noticed my battery light comes on, and im like what the hell.. then i look at my gauges and i see my temp gauge touching the very top white part in the temp bar.. i dont believe it hit the red part.. but it was most definitly touching white.. i popped my hood after i got home.. cause i figured its a mile left.. ill drive slow and low rpms, i pop my hood and noticed my belt is snapped/shredded.. So moral of the story is im curious on the damage that may have been done? if any? and what might i look for? i dont notice any new sounds.. but that dont mean damage hasnt been done? god this sounds so noob lol.. and i know quite a bit.. ;( sad face day!

A18A
12-30-2011, 06:41 PM
you *should* be all good, chuck another belt on it and see how it goes from there

vteckiller
12-30-2011, 07:10 PM
you *should* be all good, chuck another belt on it and see how it goes from there

right.. i got a new one for 11$ so im good there.. dont notice anything new or any new sounds.. aint leaking.. so..

elpuma
12-30-2011, 08:02 PM
I say you're good.

vteckiller
12-31-2011, 12:02 AM
I say you're good.

yeah, just sucks to ever have to put your mind through the.. " my car overheated " or got super hot " trip.. but yeah.. i went for a good " medium hard " test drive to see if maybe something happened and if it did.. id now know after the test.. i also noticed my clutch tightener/loosener was like kinda broke.. so it allowed my clutch cable to constantly slip.. no wonder i been having that issue!

DBMaster
12-31-2011, 07:57 AM
Earlier this year - at least eight months ago - my thermostat actually BROKE on the way home from work. I tried letting it cool down several times, but the temp gauge hit the top of the scale about three times. I ended up parking it in a shopping center lot overnight and changing out the thermostat the next day right there. The car is fine.

I think as long as you don't let it run that hot for an "extended" period of time you are probably OK. The definition of "extended," though, could be open to interpretation.

The stat that broke, by the way, was a Honda OEM that I changed with the last timing belt change. I guess it can happen.

Pnem3
12-31-2011, 01:57 PM
Your temp reading may be unreliable since you didn't have coolant circulating due to no water pump. I wouldn't worry about it though, you are probably fine. If you run into that situation again, turn your vent fan on high and slide the heater controls to hot. That will help take heat out of the engine. If you can engage the engine fans somehow (without running the AC compressor), then every bit helps.

vteckiller
12-31-2011, 03:20 PM
Your temp reading may be unreliable since you didn't have coolant circulating due to no water pump. I wouldn't worry about it though, you are probably fine. If you run into that situation again, turn your vent fan on high and slide the heater controls to hot. That will help take heat out of the engine. If you can engage the engine fans somehow (without running the AC compressor), then every bit helps.

well i always have my heater on at least low, or the vents open.. and i immediately turned my fans to high/hot.

Dr_Snooz
12-31-2011, 07:33 PM
I suspect you are fine. When the belt broke it would have flashed the Charge light almost immediately. If you turned off as soon as the light turned on, then you should be good. The problems arise when people drive until it loses power or is blowing steam out the hood. That's when all kinds of happiness arises. If it's still running strong and quiet, don't worry. These are incredibly tough little engines. You can run them without oil for miles (done that), run them hot (done that too) and they just seem to take it and take it.

obdriver6
01-02-2012, 04:06 PM
You should be fine, about 4 years ago, in the middle of summer, I left my car running with the A/C on cause my brother was in it. When I came back I saw the needle on the red and turned it off immediately and let it cool down. On my way home it was still overheating but it never managed to get as high as the first time. I later found out my radiator was plugged but it didn't cause any problems. As long as the engine doesn't shut off, then you should be fine.

vteckiller
01-02-2012, 04:24 PM
You should be fine, about 4 years ago, in the middle of summer, I left my car running with the A/C on cause my brother was in it. When I came back I saw the needle on the red and turned it off immediately and let it cool down. On my way home it was still overheating but it never managed to get as high as the first time. I later found out my radiator was plugged but it didn't cause any problems. As long as the engine doesn't shut off, then you should be fine.

Very well, yeah it all seems fine.. still pulls like it used to when slammin gears like mario andretti!

ecogabriel
01-02-2012, 04:29 PM
You should be OK; you did not lose coolant or got steam coming from under the hood.

Since your cooling system was exposed to higher pressure than normal, I would be watchful of coolant leaks. An old hose may have gotten weakened with the additional pressure and heat and give way.

Dr_Snooz
01-02-2012, 06:49 PM
Very well, yeah it all seems fine.. still pulls like it used to when slammin gears like mario andretti!

You worry about it overheating, then go out and beat it to death? Good grief.

vteckiller
01-02-2012, 07:06 PM
You worry about it overheating, then go out and beat it to death? Good grief.

was merely stating a fact, never said i beat my cars up, and my cars don't leave any type of fluid and i hit 7.5k rpms multiple times daily. and id be more worried about an overheating than my tranny getting put through 0-7k rmps.
but thats my personal opinion on my car.. could be doing it all wrong.. and ruining my cars. who knows.. thanks for the advise dr snooz!!

POS carb
01-06-2012, 12:23 PM
As long as your idle remains normal and your oil/coolant did not mix you are fine.

A18A
01-06-2012, 10:12 PM
It should be well able of modifying the moment the belt broke, it just requires a while lengthier than those other techniques on how to replace a timing belt (http://www.automd.com/153/how-to-replace-a-timing-belt/). It could be 4-6 time function the first time you do it.

http://memedepot.com/uploads/1000/1148_1253230725640.jpg

Dr_Snooz
01-07-2012, 09:58 PM
was merely stating a fact, never said i beat my cars up, and my cars don't leave any type of fluid and i hit 7.5k rpms multiple times daily. and id be more worried about an overheating than my tranny getting put through 0-7k rmps.
but thats my personal opinion on my car.. could be doing it all wrong.. and ruining my cars. who knows.. thanks for the advise dr snooz!!

Well... I forget where I read it, but they did a study of wear on locomotives way back when. They found that most of the wear on a locomotive occurred when running it 80-100% of its capacity. If you're running your car hard, you're wearing it out. There's a reason everyone wants to buy cars from old ladies rather than from hotrodding teens. It's your car of course, but if you like it and want to keep it around, be gentle.

vteckiller
01-08-2012, 09:20 AM
Well... I forget where I read it, but they did a study of wear on locomotives way back when. They found that most of the wear on a locomotive occurred when running it 80-100% of its capacity. If you're running your car hard, you're wearing it out. There's a reason everyone wants to buy cars from old ladies rather than from hotrodding teens. It's your car of course, but if you like it and want to keep it around, be gentle.

the motor has been rebuilt, the injector ports have been cleaned, and the clutch has been replaced, the car pretty stout, ive just always heard bad news about no water pump running.