PDA

View Full Version : Problem, sometimes car do not accelerate after 3000rpm

Lok
12-31-2011, 12:20 PM
Ok guys,

My engine is A16 carbed and the car runs with no problem, but when I travel and after covering some distance (50+miles) the car stops accelarating after 3000rpm. I observed that this happens especially when I am traveling in high elevation roads or when the weather is bad.

I have a chat with my mechanic and he told me that maybe my spark plug wires will not be in very good condition.

Last week I had the same problem, but I observed that when I turn the engine off (even on crusing with 70mph speed) for about 30-40 seconds and start again, car is running normaly.

I have again a discussion with my mechanic and this time he was sure that the problem is the fuel pump. He told me that my fuel pump overheats and when I turn my engine off, fuel pump cools down and operate normally there after.

I just wanter if anybdy else has the same problem?

I'll much appreciate any input on this case.

Dr_Snooz
12-31-2011, 07:39 PM
Start with the normal stuff: tune up, carb cleaner if you've been running crummy gas, fuel and air filters. If it persists and you can't do your own diagnostic work, then you're pretty much going to have to buy the parts the mechanic wants to replace until you get it. You can also find a better mechanic who is willing to do diagnostics (like testing fuel pressure, testing the plug wires, etc.) until he finds the problem. Diagnostic work is more expensive, but will save you a load on easter egg parts.

Lok
01-02-2012, 09:29 AM
Many thanks for your input.

My car is serviced very regularly every 6000miles..so there isn't any problem with filters and the carburator is in excellent condition with very stable idle and smooth operation.
Sorry for not mentione it before, but my mechanic has some diagnostic capability in his garage, but he had a hard time to found what is going wrong. He initially told me that maybe are the spark plug wires, but Honda genuine spark plug wires are out of production and there isn't any stock left....so I must find through web some NGK or similar.

When I told him that the car is running again normally after swithing off the engine for 30-40 sec, he was 99% sure that the problem is the fuel pump.

I'll try both and I let the forum know the case, but again many thanks for your advice.

Dr_Snooz
01-02-2012, 07:18 PM
I would find a different mechanic. Your guy should know how to test plug wires. That he's sending you on a snipe hunt looking for holy grail wires is a bad sign. At least to me.

Buzo
01-02-2012, 09:51 PM
There are two tings that will prevent an engine to acelerate: fuel or timing

This is what I would do:

The next time your car fail to accelerate, stop but don't restart it. Open the engine compartment, remove the air filter can and watch the little window in the carb, the fuel level must be in the middle. If not then your mechanic may be right about the fuel pump. I mean, you can practice in your garage and locate the little window and keep the right tools to do the inspection job with you.

The timing thing may be harder to chase since it happens only when hot, so it looks to me like some electronics in the pickup coil, or the coil itself to be the cause. If you could get a spare coil or even a spare dizzy would be the best so you can perform A-B-A tests with those components.

poncho-lx
01-03-2012, 06:51 PM
1 - second throat
2 - not enough fuel or air
There are valves that open to let in more air to intake when the engine is under load
good luck :D