PDA

View Full Version : Rebuilt carb swapped, runs great except at idle

Burn1nRubb3r
12-31-2011, 05:57 PM
I just swapped a rebuilt carb onto my Accord since it was running very rich and running like crap when cold. With the new carb it runs much better except at idle, off idle it purs like a new car. I had to raise the idle to make it stay running, but I noticed when I pump the brakes it will stall and die. I replaced every vacuum line that connects to the carb when I swapped, but I am guessing there must be a vacuum leak somewhere. Is there any tips or advice on fixing this problem? Or could it possibly be something else causing the cruddy idle?

Edit: Sorry, I just realized there is a Carb-Tech Section, I should have posted there.

Dr_Snooz
12-31-2011, 07:24 PM
Vacuum lines aren't the only places you can get a vacuum leak. The mounting gaskets for the carb can also be a problem. So too can the intake gasket.

AccordB20A
12-31-2011, 09:22 PM
is there power to the solenoid on the back of the carb?

Burn1nRubb3r
12-31-2011, 10:03 PM
I will check for power to the selenoid, I didn't actually think of that. And I will check for vacuum leaks, it is always possible i missed a vacuum line or screwed up the base gasket somehow. Thanks for the input, I will post back after I check the car over again.

Burn1nRubb3r
12-31-2011, 11:38 PM
I just realized something, I changed the paper gasket between the efe heater and intake but not the rubber gasket between the efe heater and carb. Would this be the possible cause of the vacuum leak? I almost bet it is the problem since it probably cannot seal anymore from being brittle.

Dr_Snooz
01-01-2012, 08:41 PM
Yes. Fix it.

Burn1nRubb3r
01-01-2012, 09:56 PM
Thanks for the help, I feel stupid realizing I forgot that gasket! Oh well, at least I am learning how to take care of my 3gee and repair it when needed.

UPDATE: I did the stage 1 vacuum removal and changed the upper efe heater gasket, runs like a champ now! Thanks for the help Dr Snooz and AccordB20A!