PDA

View Full Version : driver side suspension sagging

Burn1nRubb3r
12-31-2011, 11:00 PM
The suspension on my Accord is sitting lower on the drivers side, when replacing the struts do most people replace the springs as well or reuse them? I don't want to replace the struts and still have a sag because of bad springs.

AZmike
01-01-2012, 07:03 PM
How different are the two sides? The engine position will make the driver's side sit a bit lower.

Is there severe rust damage or a broken coil? Make sure to check the rears as well. Springs usually last the life of the vehicle--they are not frequently replaced due to wear.

Burn1nRubb3r
01-01-2012, 07:24 PM
Thanks for the input! The drivers side looks no more than an inch lower than the passenger side, and there is no significant rust damage. I will check for broken springs tomorrow but I think it must just be worn out struts.

Dr_Snooz
01-01-2012, 08:14 PM
My car does that too. It's worse since I swapped to a manual transmission which is about 50 lbs. lighter than the auto. Basically, the cast iron block in these cars is very heavy. It sits on the driver's side and there is no ballast on the other side to offset it. I'm not sure there is much you can do about it, unless you want to start cutting springs and whatnot.

Burn1nRubb3r
01-01-2012, 09:59 PM
If it is normal I will leave it. Mine is also a 5-speed, my last 3gee was an auto and didn't lean at all so it had me thinking I had bad struts on one side.

obdriver6
01-02-2012, 04:46 PM
Yeah, I've notice this too. I thought it was the suspension but after changing to a different stock suspension, it stayed the same. I've always thought it was a control arm bushing but now I think its normal with this tread. I also have a 5 speed.

Dr_Snooz
01-02-2012, 06:47 PM
Usually, if your struts are worn out, you'll see oil wetness around the tops of the shocks. It wouldn't make the car droop, buy will make it BoUnCy GoInG dOwN tHe RoAd. Spring fatigue or some kind of serious impact to the front suspension would be required to make it droop. The back of my truck lists to one side, but it probably got a giant load of gravel dumped on one side of the bed at one or more points in its life.

Oldblueaccord
01-12-2012, 01:03 AM
I think were the fork bolts to the strut it can be moved. Never done it but look and see how close it is to the brackets for the brake hoses.

wp