PDA

View Full Version : Help with power steering hose sizes

ecogabriel
01-01-2012, 03:22 PM
I was doing some work with the car and I found out that it is leaking power steering fluid from the small rubber hoses that connect to the speed sensor in the transmission. I would have taken the hoses out to get new ones but I need it running as I have another car with a problem to fix.

The question is whether someone knows from memory the size of those two small hoses so I can go and get them. They look like being 1/4" hoses but if someone knows for sure please let me know. They are certainly smaller than the hoses that return fluid to the reservoir (those are 3/8" I believe; I replaced some of those already)

Also, I wonder whether a hose rated for fuel would be suitable for power steering fluid.

Thanks

import racer
01-01-2012, 05:07 PM
I used fuel hose for mine and had no problem,I have a speed sensor somewhere I can check the size for you tomorrow .To dark tonight to look for it,but I think the hose is 3/8 too.

AZmike
01-01-2012, 06:50 PM
Replacing them is a good idea if you can find a good size match.

I'm cheap though and have found that I could get many more years out of the factory hoses by tightening the screw clamps a little more. Over the years the rubber compresses to conform to the clamp. I've ended up needing to tight PS hose clamps on all four older Hondas I've owned and it has worked as a long-term fix every time for me.

Dr_Snooz
01-01-2012, 08:18 PM
Replacing them is a good idea if you can find a good size match.

I'm cheap though and have found that I could get many more years out of the factory hoses by tightening the screw clamps a little more. Over the years the rubber compresses to conform to the clamp. I've ended up needing to tight PS hose clamps on all four older Hondas I've owned and it has worked as a long-term fix every time for me.

Do you notice any trouble with seepage through the hose walls?

AZmike
01-02-2012, 09:18 AM
Do you notice any trouble with seepage through the hose walls?

There hasn't been enough to matter. Since I didn't degrease the hoses I can't tell if the dirt that sticks is from new fluid or old, but the fluid level is steady so the seepage is minimal if it does occur.

ecogabriel
01-02-2012, 11:12 AM
I used fuel hose for mine and had no problem,I have a speed sensor somewhere I can check the size for you tomorrow .To dark tonight to look for it,but I think the hose is 3/8 too.

Looking for other stuff, I stumbled across a spare speed sensor. Both hose connectors are of different size.

In the smaller connector, a 1/4" hose fits snugly; I have some fuel hose around so I will use that.
The larger connector is too small for 3/8" hose and too big for 1/4" hose; maybe 5/16" may fit. I'll go to NAPA and see what I can get

Other hoses in the return lines to the reservoir and to the p/s oil cooler are 3/8". I know because I changed some of those. Maybe it is time to get rid of the remaining ones.

To complete my fixing drive, I already ordered the p/s pump seal kit, and I am thinking on adding a line filter like DrSnooz did. That should finish off all other potential leak sources in the power steering.

Thanks for the help.

DBMaster
01-02-2012, 04:57 PM
I had replaced the shaft seal on my P/S pump twice in its life and just did it again when I installed the seal kit from Rock Auto. It was Gates brand and the shaft seal was exactly the same brand and part number as the last one I installed - which came from Majestic Honda.

Have you also verified that you are not leaking fluid from the speed sensor itself? Mine had been leaking for a long time due to a worn out o-ring in the speed sensor. When you have it out of the car and take it apart there is a large o-ring that is easy to replace.

Dr_Snooz
01-02-2012, 06:31 PM
Maybe it is time to get rid of the remaining ones.

I replaced all the lines back there when I had the engine out. I recommend doing it.

ecogabriel
01-03-2012, 05:03 AM
Have you also verified that you are not leaking fluid from the speed sensor itself? Mine had been leaking for a long time due to a worn out o-ring in the speed sensor. When you have it out of the car and take it apart there is a large o-ring that is easy to replace.

I thought about that when I found the spare speed sensor. I'll take it apart.

I replaced all the lines back there when I had the engine out. I recommend doing it.

With the engine in there is not a lot of room to work on, but I would probably do it.

Thanks for the suggestions.

ecogabriel
01-05-2012, 04:19 AM
Update: the larger port in the speed sensor takes a 5/16" hose. The smaller one is 1/4"
NAPA carries those but they are not cheap ($3.99/foot for the 5/16")

POS carb
01-06-2012, 12:13 PM
Get 1/4 and 5/16 transmission cooler line

ecogabriel
01-11-2012, 07:43 AM
Get 1/4 and 5/16 transmission cooler line

You are right; that is what I got. Thanks

BB_cuda
01-11-2012, 10:17 AM
i fixed a leak on the smaller size line (coming off the VSS) about 2 weeks ago. Used UV dye and a $4 black light bulb from home depot. the front end guy at NTB cranked the piss out of the clamp but when the hose has a hard set compression on it, no amount of clamping will help. In the long run changing the lines is a good thing. I haven't touched the 5/16" side yet. Glad the mess is over though. I would go through a qt of fluid in a week even though it was on the return pressure side of the system.