PDA

View Full Version : 1989 Honda Accord LX Carb'd Hesitation Stuttering problem

turbocarlab
01-02-2012, 08:28 PM
I had this car sitting for about a year in the street untouched.
I recently had to start to use it again so I replaced the battery,
plugs, cap, rotor, wires, both fuel filters, and oil change. All with NGK or OEM equivalent stuff. It's runs pretty good except every other day on the highway on the way to work, it started to stutter when I give it gas and wants to stall. When I throw it in neutral and rev it up a couple of times
than put it in drive and it sometimes goes back to normal for a few minutes then does it again. Otherwise it just wont rev up at all. The car is carburated and I have sprayed the carb with cleaner and put cleaner in the gas tank with no help... Anyone have any ideas? How bad is it to rebuilt the carb?

2oodoor
01-04-2012, 12:02 PM
sounds like something in the tank, probably water and bad old gas

Buzo
01-04-2012, 12:38 PM
I'm thinking in the secondary and its vacuum actuator... If this happens only at highway its mechanism might be stuck or with a vacuum leak. But certainly you need to start testing every single vacuum actuator around the carb. That's an easy step that you can perform with a long piece of hose and by sucking air with your mouth. All of them should move and retain the vacuum. If one diaphragm is found defective, you can replace the actuator with parts from the jy.