PDA

View Full Version : No Power to Cig lighter, courtesy lights, dome light, trunk light...

hondalude86
01-02-2012, 09:06 PM
So i searched this whole forum only to find that this issue has not yet been solved! So I figured I'd try and solve it!

Vehicle:
*1988 Honda Accord Lx-i Coupe

Problem:

* Cigarette Lighter Does Not work
* Over Head dome Light Does Not work
* Door Courtesy Lights Do Not work
* Trunk Courtesy Light Does Not work

Investigation

* checked to make sure all lights were plugged in the doors and dome.
* all bulbs checked to insure they are not magically all broken all at once.
* insured that both Fuse #13 and #4 are not blown in the engine fuse box
* Checked both door switches to ensure they are both connected 100%
_____-discovered that the passenger door switch did not have a good connection, corrected the issue, no change in above problem. Also noticed that some sort of wire is pig tailed onto the Driverside Door wire, but found in later tests that this isn't affecting issue. I'm assuming its from a previously installed alarm.
* Using the factory Honda Manual for a 1987 Honda Accord, I tested the dome light switch.
_____-discovered that is failed the continuity test. tests out good on OFF, DOOR, but BAD on ON. Could be an issue...
* Took the gauge cluster out to test to see if the saftey indicator wiring (plug) was receiving all the correct inputs from the various items involved. This checked both door switches, the dome light, the trunk light, dimmer, and various other parts that are connected to it.
_____-During this test, I discovered that everything is being recieved fully to the safety indicator with the exception of the Dome Light. The Dome light ALSO tested bad here.

The long story short, I'm going to try and replace the dome light at my convience and see if that changes ANYTHING... Other wise, the next thing to replace would be the saftey indicator. If everything would have passed good on the wiring test, the safety indicator (which is in the gauge cluster) will need to be replaced. Here is to hoping that all this is is just the Dome Light assembly.

Please share your advice along with anything else... I think its about time we have the damn answer for this semi common issue!

Legend_master
01-03-2012, 09:03 AM
So i searched this whole forum only to find that this issue has not yet been solved! So I figured I'd try and solve it!

Vehicle:

Problem:

Investigation

_____-discovered that the passenger door switch did not have a good connection, corrected the issue, no change in above problem. Also noticed that some sort of wire is pig tailed onto the Driverside Door wire, but found in later tests that this isn't affecting issue. I'm assuming its from a previously installed alarm.
* Using the factory Honda Manual for a 1987 Honda Accord, I tested the dome light switch.
_____-discovered that is failed the continuity test. tests out good on OFF, DOOR, but BAD on ON. Could be an issue...
* Took the gauge cluster out to test to see if the saftey indicator wiring (plug) was receiving all the correct inputs from the various items involved. This checked both door switches, the dome light, the trunk light, dimmer, and various other parts that are connected to it.
_____-During this test, I discovered that everything is being recieved fully to the safety indicator with the exception of the Dome Light. The Dome light ALSO tested bad here.

The long story short, I'm going to try and replace the dome light at my convience and see if that changes ANYTHING... Other wise, the next thing to replace would be the saftey indicator. If everything would have passed good on the wiring test, the safety indicator (which is in the gauge cluster) will need to be replaced. Here is to hoping that all this is is just the Dome Light assembly.

Please share your advice along with anything else... I think its about time we have the damn answer for this semi common issue!

I don't know the number, but I am pretty sure there is a fuse under the dash for the cigarette lighter (and other items you mentioned). The funny thing is it does not say it on the fuse, go through and check every fuse under the dash. Should solve the problem.

POS carb
01-03-2012, 10:25 AM
on the accords underhood fuse 13 should have constant power feeding this circuit. Check for voltage on both terminals of this fuse.
The lights and lighter should work independent of the safety indicator, i would not replace it.

hondalude86
01-03-2012, 02:57 PM
Hey guys, i did check power with both a test light and with a dvom. Everything is 100% there. I also had the radio out recently and checked the wiring going to the cig lighter. I will say, that the dome light was working intermittenly, although im not entirely sure it was related or as bad as it seemed since i wasnt driving the car very often during this process, it could have been doing this because of the door latch that was acting up. Ill check the fuses tonight in the fuse panel.

hondalude86
01-03-2012, 06:43 PM
Just as an added note, the driverside seat belt has not retracted like normal since this has happened. I thought this might be important since it seems this could be related... hmmm, im goimg to search and comb thru the 89 owners manual. I've been working with the 87 owners manual and the downloaded 89 etm from wikigeez. I did test all the fuses and everyone is good. I did check to make sure all the fuses were the correct rating, and only 2 needed to be changed to the proper amperage.

obdriver6
01-04-2012, 01:52 PM
Have you checked for grounds?

hondalude86
01-04-2012, 04:09 PM
Im not sure what grounds your thinkimg about, but i checked continuity to ground for the cig lighter and dome light and all is good there. Also by testing the wiring goimg to the safety indicator your eliminating alot of open geounds that are in the system. So i think the only thing that leaves is to check for open power leads but to have all these items at once shut down, then there has got to be more to it... i need to find the first place the wires fuse 13 from the fuse box feed into the cabin

vteckiller
01-07-2012, 10:19 AM

Vehicle:

Problem:

Investigation

these cars are old, and corrosion has taken place.. if you love your 3gee you should replace the wires one by one and over timeyoull have a newly wired 3geez.