PDA

View Full Version : i wanna remove the damn ac compressor

Mantis88LX
10-16-2002, 07:02 PM
i wanna remove my damn ac compressor but i dont wanna go thru all the shit of disconnecting teh p/s and shit. i tried to get the ac out but coulddt get to all teh bolts.

anyone know the "easiest" way to get this heavy ass thing out.

it pisses me off, cuz its just there, the ac dont work and that shit is just ther takining up space and weight.

POS carb
10-16-2002, 07:27 PM
it's not worth the trouble/frustration

A20A1
10-16-2002, 07:58 PM
it has 6 bolts (14mm) holding the bracket to the block. and 2 or 3 bolts holding the compressor to the bracket.... you should drain and remove your radiator...

have you already removed the A/C condensor in front of the radiator?
Have you cut or unbolted all the hoses from the compressor?

Mantis88LX
10-16-2002, 08:21 PM
were is the condensor and how do u remove it?

A20A1
10-16-2002, 08:33 PM
its the thinner radiator that is infront of the actual radiator.

- remove the turn signals
- reomove the bumper
- remove the hood latch (3 - 10mm bolts)
- remove the radiator brace that connects between the 2 flip up light housings. (10mm)
- remove the condensor tubes
- remove condensor.

make sure you bleed off all the gasses that may be in the A/C system before working on removing it.

Mantis88LX
10-16-2002, 08:36 PM
there are no gases in the system cuz i have already removed some of the hard lines, so this should remove some weight? it will get more air now i sopose too.

how it it in there? is it bolted ? if so were at?
thanx.

Mantis88LX
10-16-2002, 08:38 PM
also. what about the ps cooling lines running in front of that, will this effect them any? cuz i want to keep p/s

A20A1
10-16-2002, 08:42 PM
you don't have to remove the PS cooling loop.

but the condensor does bolt to the frame of the car... but you remove the radiator brace so you can slide it up and over the metal bumper and PS line.

Mantis88LX
10-18-2002, 01:14 PM
ok i got the condesor out and most of the a.c lines, now my big prject is getting the ac compressor out.

well i check it out today and found the 3 bolts that hold the ac compressor to the mounting bracket, yes i can get to them without removing the p/s, i tryed all my strenth to get them bitchs loose but the are on there and on there good. i dont know what else to do to get em loose.
anyone give me anyinfo on how to get them sucka's loose.? ???

Mantis88LX
10-19-2002, 12:10 PM
well i got the compressor off the mounting bracket, then i was tring to get the bolts loose on the mounting bracket and i got all of em but about 2 and i pulled a muscle in my neck or something, i cant bend my neck and it hurts like hell.
guess its gonna be a few more days till i can work on getting that thing out. thanx guys for the help

A20A1
10-20-2002, 12:13 AM
seems like everyone's getting spinal problems from working on the 3G. I suggest using a breaker whenever possible... just buy a length of pipe to fit over the handle of the socket wrench.
all you have to to is break the bolt loose... thats less then 1/4 a turn in most cases.

hope you get better. :D

Mantis88LX
10-20-2002, 06:23 PM
well i got the compressor out today! and i didnt have to remove the ps!! i knew i could do it.
was a bitch tho, i lifted the radiator up out of the car with the lines connected still, and with the othe hand grabbed the compressor and thru it out of the engine bay, it smashed into the ground and left a small crater,
i think i just pulled a muscle in my neck cuz it felt ok his morning except for a little soreness when i tured it,. but it didnt keep me from finishing the job! thanx guys for the help

smufguy
10-20-2002, 07:50 PM
1/2" drive socket is always the best to get rid of these stuck bolts. I still gotta get the bracket offo fmy block though. soon i will be able to. MY car is starting to corrode on the aluminum parts and rust on the iron parts. dammit.