PDA

View Full Version : Oil Leak only on warm up??!!!

kingjosiah
01-06-2012, 07:42 PM
I have 88 lx Carb and it leaks a pretty decent amount of oil but it only does it while the car goes through it's warm up. After I take off it's fine no leak or anything. Does anyone have an idea of what it could be? The only thing I can think of is that by the time the car takes off the seals have expanded. But weird thing is that I can't tell where it is leaking from even from looking under.

Also the butterfly valve is stuck and it doesn't allow the car to take off correctly. It lags for a sec and then takes off. But this also affects the warm up the idle is really low and it sounds like it's skipping....

vteckiller
01-09-2012, 04:53 PM
I have 88 lx Carb and it leaks a pretty decent amount of oil but it only does it while the car goes through it's warm up. After I take off it's fine no leak or anything. Does anyone have an idea of what it could be? The only thing I can think of is that by the time the car takes off the seals have expanded. But weird thing is that I can't tell where it is leaking from even from looking under.

Also the butterfly valve is stuck and it doesn't allow the car to take off correctly. It lags for a sec and then takes off. But this also affects the warm up the idle is really low and it sounds like it's skipping....

how can you tell if it leaks oil or not when moving? and try cleaning the carb out where the butterfly is its probably got buncha crud from the sounds of your post.

kingjosiah
01-10-2012, 11:01 PM
how do I clean it out? because I thought that the butterfly is attached to the carb.. And I can tell that it doesn't leak because after it warms I can park and it doesn't leak. Only leaks on warm up after not using the car for a few hours.

Dr_Snooz
01-11-2012, 08:16 AM
My guess would be that you have some kind of PCV issue.

kingjosiah
01-12-2012, 11:36 AM
so just buy a replacement pcv valve or what?

Dr_Snooz
01-12-2012, 01:10 PM
You could do that, but it would probably be better to figure out the issue first. You seem to be having a lot of problems related to neglect of a very old car. If you can't turn your own wrenches, then you probably want to be considering exit strategies for this car. It's going to need a lot of work to get it running right again.