PDA

View Full Version : egr trick

pickupman6
01-08-2012, 11:08 AM
I just noticed on my car yesterday that the egr wasn't holding vacuum. I've had the dang code 12 since I've bought the car in 07. I've replaced everyting related to the egr (with used parts)and still could not get the egr code to go off, until yesterday. I found my old egr valve so I took the lift sensor off and put it on my car, went for a drive, got the light. I blocked hose "17" (not what it is in my car since I don't have a black box, I jus have the crap mounted behind my intake) and nothing happened, so I pullef "16" off the egr and had vac when I pinched 17. Well that narrowed it down to the egr valve again. Took off the lift sensor swapped gaskets with the other one put it back together, pinched 17 car hesitaded but didn't stall. Took the lift sensor back off took the gasket back out and applied some yellow 3m weather stripping and gasket sealer in the groovebut the gasket back inand smeared the sealant with my finger and stuck it back on. Pinched off 17 and the engine stopped dead. Went for a ride, no light, went to town this morning and still no light.
Sorry for the long post but to sum up if your egr valve won't hold vacuum it might not be the diaphram, you can probably just reseal the gasket. That's what my problem was the whole time, but the "new" valve had a dead sensor on it and it quit holding vac.

import racer
01-08-2012, 02:03 PM
So how did you separate the sensor from the egr.

pickupman6
01-08-2012, 02:09 PM
Rou just pop those two wire clips off and it comes right off.

pickupman6
01-08-2012, 02:10 PM
*you

import racer
01-09-2012, 06:32 PM
thanks!