PDA

View Full Version : bekt driven turbo(supercharger)?

vteckiller
01-08-2012, 11:27 PM
So after a lot of turbo and supercharger research and found quite a few easy belt driven turbos, if you don't have power steering pump or ac pump, i don't see why you wouldn't be able to make a bracket for it, it doesn't require oil, at least the one i would buy, no cooler needed, no blow off valves, i assume they say to get it tuned and your good, anyone got any theory's or ideas?

A18A
01-08-2012, 11:37 PM
sc14 (Y)

vteckiller
01-10-2012, 09:28 AM
sc14 (Y)

what about any belt driven turbine device that can push say 6psi at full throttle?

RAZR
01-10-2012, 10:58 AM
If its belt driven it's not a turbo that would be a supercharger.
The blow off valve is needed so when you at full boost and u let off the throttle the 10psi of boost needs to go somewhere and the blow off valve releases it so it doesn't go back thru the turbo and slow down the spool.

vteckiller
01-10-2012, 11:03 AM
If its belt driven it's not a turbo that would be a supercharger.
The blow off valve is needed so when you at full boost and u let off the throttle the 10psi of boost needs to go somewhere and the blow off valve releases it so it doesn't go back thru the turbo and slow down the spool.

thats why i said (supercharger) and of course you need a bov, an air cooler would be the shhhit, fuel pressure regulator will be needed and if you can get the right about needed turning up the regulator no need for injectors, but if your doing all that might as well.. and a good tune.. was just stating anyone know of anyone or ideas? thanks all for any posts!

A18A
01-10-2012, 03:56 PM
a sc14 is a supercharger

vteckiller
01-10-2012, 04:36 PM
a sc14 is a supercharger

as well as the sc12. and the procharger, V-3 Si-Trim Supercharger.. i could name thousands.. has this been done before on our generation engines?

Vanilla Sky
01-10-2012, 04:52 PM
I measured my Accord for an SC14, and with a bracket, it can be made to work. They're not terribly larger than an ND AC compressor. Since my plans have changed with the car, I have to retain AC, so I can't supercharge in the same manner. There's some room below the intake manifold, but you're limited as to how far you can go over to the side to line up the belt.

vteckiller
01-10-2012, 05:07 PM
I measured my Accord for an SC14, and with a bracket, it can be made to work. They're not terribly larger than an ND AC compressor. Since my plans have changed with the car, I have to retain AC, so I can't supercharge in the same manner. There's some room below the intake manifold, but you're limited as to how far you can go over to the side to line up the belt.

i got no ac or power steering pumps so two locations available. but is it a decent idea? all you need is a bov, waste gate, a few other mods, a tune and if you want you can buy a air cooler but i can make one for cheaper.. any more ideas or opinions?

Vanilla Sky
01-10-2012, 05:10 PM
I'm a MegaSquirt fan, so for fuel and spark, I'd run MS. All of the hard parts are junkyard finds. Look for Previa vans for the SC14, as a lot of them are supercharged (denoted by the S/C badge on the lift gate), and they're normally not beaten on too hard.

vteckiller
01-10-2012, 07:49 PM
I'm a MegaSquirt fan, so for fuel and spark, I'd run MS. All of the hard parts are junkyard finds. Look for Previa vans for the SC14, as a lot of them are supercharged (denoted by the S/C badge on the lift gate), and they're normally not beaten on too hard.

should probably grab every single part damn near on the previa for the supercharge than?

vteckiller
01-10-2012, 08:07 PM
the jackson racing b series work? since the b series manifold works on the a20 with a lil bit of moding?

A18A
01-10-2012, 11:24 PM
dont see why not if everything fits and the pulleys line up without anything else getting in the way

gp02a0083
01-11-2012, 11:20 AM
your stumbling across something here that i have been looking into with the parts i have. Only downfall about a supercharger, it takes power to make power. Although the benefit of the super charger is more or less a linear response curve compared to a turbo, but the expense is bottom end power used to drive it. This is where the turbo's shine, they hardly rob any power.

BTW SKY mentioned about the placement of a SC where the AC compressor is. This would be a great spot , however i have been playing with a different setup that would require the B16/18 intake manifold swap and would turn itself into a SC and would be able to retain all the creature comforts like the AC.

AccordEpicenter
01-11-2012, 03:05 PM
actual well put together turbo setups make more power hands down. Their efficiency cant be beat by superchargers, plus superchargers are more of a headache in these cars. If you wanna go fast you really should go turbo.

vteckiller
01-14-2012, 11:16 AM
actual well put together turbo setups make more power hands down. Their efficiency cant be beat by superchargers, plus superchargers are more of a headache in these cars. If you wanna go fast you really should go turbo.

fast? how many supercharger 1989 honda accord a20a3s do you see rolling down the road?

AccordEpicenter
01-14-2012, 12:08 PM
what part of turbocharger efficiency is greater than that of superchargers did you not understand? I had enough power to run mid-high 12s with a .60/.63 junkyard turbo on a completely stock A20A3 (other than injectors/managemant) UNTUNED. If you really want to go fast, turbo is the way to go hands down. Ever wonder why Formula 1 cars used turbos and not superchargers? Because turbos are that much more efficient! They made soo much power they were restricted and subsequently banned because the cars were becoming too fast.

2oodoor
01-14-2012, 04:33 PM
big plans here for a AC pwr inverter and a elec leaf blower converted to super charger.. or... alcohol powered 25cc water cooled weed eater powered turbine rc powered servos for valving, laptop monitoring and event controls. For the engine Holley w supercharger sealed intake and megajolt ign... plumbing still an issue just like these others. May have to give up the passenger seats, who would sit there anyway lol

am I serious? one has to wonder. lol

gfrg88
01-14-2012, 08:16 PM
http://ekhatch.files.wordpress.com/2009/07/pintosbay.jpg

get er done. shut us all up, and prove how much power you can get out of it.

vteckiller
01-14-2012, 08:20 PM
what part of turbocharger efficiency is greater than that of superchargers did you not understand? I had enough power to run mid-high 12s with a .60/.63 junkyard turbo on a completely stock A20A3 (other than injectors/managemant) UNTUNED. If you really want to go fast, turbo is the way to go hands down. Ever wonder why Formula 1 cars used turbos and not superchargers? Because turbos are that much more efficient! They made soo much power they were restricted and subsequently banned because the cars were becoming too fast.

all i had asked was it possible and have people done it. i never asked about a turbo motor beating a non turbo motor, but thanks for the info on a turbo'd a20a3 beating a stock b16. and that formula 1 cars run turbo set ups and not a belt driven turbo(supercharger) and that turbos are more effcient! and that the cars became too fast. thanks!

vteckiller
01-14-2012, 08:22 PM
http://ekhatch.files.wordpress.com/2009/07/pintosbay.jpg

get er done. shut us all up, and prove how much power you can get out of it.

god that's a sexy looking engine bay!

gfrg88
01-14-2012, 08:47 PM
all i had asked was it possible and have people done it. i never asked about a turbo motor beating a non turbo motor, but thanks for the info on a turbo'd a20a3 beating a stock b16. and that formula 1 cars run turbo set ups and not a belt driven turbo(supercharger) and that turbos are more effcient! and that the cars became too fast. thanks!

Stock b16s run 12s?!? ZOMG!!! I need a swap asap!!!!

:facepalm:

vteckiller
01-15-2012, 09:33 AM
[QUOTE=gfrg88;1085108]Stock b16s run 12s?!? ZOMG!!! I need a swap asap!!!!

a stock b16 runs 12s? is there not a guy who did the swap and has his quarter mile time?

gfrg88
01-15-2012, 09:46 AM
someone just lock this thread. please.

:facepalm:

gfrg88
01-15-2012, 09:48 AM
just to be nice, I'll tell you. Ryan has a b16 in his 2g lude, little lighter, with full bolt ons; and his car runs 15s...

vteckiller
01-15-2012, 10:18 AM
just to be nice, I'll tell you. Ryan has a b16 in his 2g lude, little lighter, with full bolt ons; and his car runs 15s...

what in the hell? where did a 12 secound b16 swap come from lol?
but yes lock this thread or delete it. cause apparently there is hundreds of supercharged 1989 honda's out there.

cygnus x-1
01-15-2012, 10:56 AM
Executive summary:

Turbos are more efficient than superchargers because they take advantage of waste heat from the exhaust.

It's certainly possible to put a SC on an A20.

If anyone has put a SC on an A20 in the past, it's not been documented on 3geez.

Any sort of blower will work provided that: 1) it can fit where you want to put it and 2) it can create enough pressure at a high enough flow rate.

Will a leaf blower work? If it fulfills the above 2 requirements then yes.

Stock B16 running 12s on a 1/4 mile? It's possible with a light enough vehicle.

Lock this thread? Why?

C|

gfrg88
01-15-2012, 11:10 AM
sorry. the b16 talk made me think this was the other thread about the swap.... that needs to be locked..

the b16 running 12s, you said that lol :confused:

I still would love to see this.. Like I said, do it and be the first and only..