PDA

View Full Version : Post Wire Tuck Issues...

Susanoo
01-09-2012, 03:36 PM
Well...title says it all. I did a wire tuck and preliminary pre-testing shows that my headlight motors dont work right...They get power and turn over when you flip the switch, but the driver side just keeps doing a loop and doesnt go back down by itself when you switch it off. The passenger side just seems to go up and stay going up...also doesnt go back down when you flip the switch...I remember when i was moving the relays that there were two black wires with two red dots that i thought were common ground...was i wrong about this or do you think it might be a crossed wire somewhere...

With so many wires in the system, I want to try and find a place to start before I start taking looms apart or going in the wrong direction.

A18A
01-09-2012, 04:01 PM
are all grounds grounded properly? faulty grounds can cause that to happen

Susanoo
01-09-2012, 05:28 PM
I considered that too but I'm fairly certain that all of them are... Which one specifically do you think could cause the problem?

I have the lights themselves and corner lights....Im pretty sure that all these things ground to the same grounding block as the headlight retractor relays and the motors.

Could it be a faulty relay?? I swapped my body harness for the LXi body harness since i wanted most of the LXi features, so these relays havent been tested as good or bad...

Susanoo
01-10-2012, 03:09 PM
I checked the relays, they work...so i guess i have a wire crossed somewhere...but i followed the colors very closely :[ Im really hoping that maybe one of you could help me narrow it down a bit...

import racer
01-11-2012, 12:01 PM
I had a coupe with that problem,someone had hacked the wires off the motor for some reason.Never got it fixed cause I junked it,but I'd be looking at the wires be wrong somewhere.

Susanoo
01-15-2012, 09:47 PM
Import: What do you mean they hacked the wires off the motor??

gfrg88
01-16-2012, 08:09 AM
Grab a wiring diagram and go through it all again. Sucks. But only way to do it

import racer
01-16-2012, 01:14 PM
Well who ever had the car before me cut all the wires between the plug and the motor,not sure why they did this,I guess they didn't know how to unplug them?

Ju_S12_Turbo
01-22-2012, 01:12 AM
I had this same problem, but no wire tuck lol. this is a shitty pic i'll get you a better one tomorrow when I can take one of my car and right where it is normally bolted to.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v203/Ju_S12_Turbo/IMG00698-20110121-1638.jpg

Ok this is what my car was doing, it started having one of the turn signal lights on very dimmly when I wasn't using it. also when I would unplug relays and what not, it would cause my headlights to loop. In the end after reading through wiring diagrams, it was a cluster of ground wire that wasn't tighten down all the way, I am guessing it was searching for a ground through the relays lol.

ShyBoyCA6
01-22-2012, 02:28 AM
thats my pic lol

its always better to take pics of everything you do for reference.

Ju_S12_Turbo
01-22-2012, 09:19 PM
thats my pic lol

its always better to take pics of everything you do for reference.

lol, sorry about that it was the only pic that I found that showed that area, Also I didn't mean the pic was "shitty" Just meant what I was trying to convey to him using this pic lol

ShyBoyCA6
01-22-2012, 10:03 PM
Lol its ok the pic was taken by my old phone.

Susanoo
01-23-2012, 10:03 AM
Interesting that everyone mentions a grounding problem. See I know exactly what you mean by ground cluster, I call it a grounding block but whatever, either way...I moved these ground clusters from the factory location to hide them better but I just put them on the wheel side of the fender by the little cutout where the wires feed through during a stock wiring setup. Ill try and move both of them back to the stock position and see what happens.

Susanoo
01-30-2012, 08:06 PM
Well i've tried to look and remember but...i cant remember where the stock location was exactly...Can someone take a pic and show me please?? Also The car runs and idles perfectly...headlights seem to be the only malfunction...

H2289Acc
01-31-2012, 08:17 AM
Well i've tried to look and remember but...i cant remember where the stock location was exactly...Can someone take a pic and show me please?? Also The car runs and idles perfectly...headlights seem to be the only malfunction...

As long as you have a general idea of where the "grounding blocks" normally sit, I don't think it really matters where you bolt them, stock location or not. I know they normally sit right behind the HL motors in the engine bay. There are two bolt holes for them to bolt up.
:violin:Did a tuck also and I'm having a similar issue. My turn signals/hazards don't work and I think it's most likely a ground. I moved my grounding blocks inside the fender as well. I know it's a bitch but I'm gonna have to take my fender off again (and probably take apart the looms) and trace the problem. Using hand signals to turn probably won't fly well with the cops. Good luck, man. Hope you figure it out.

Susanoo
02-02-2012, 05:03 PM
Well I guess i'll have to trace it all back and figure out which wire i crossed :\

I just hope i can figure it out soon and easily :P

Susanoo
02-26-2012, 05:58 PM
I went back to the idea of a grounding issue and expanded on the idea...I unbolted it and took the screw...wire brushed it...took the block and wire brushed the little tab. Then wire brushed the hole, put it all back and it works like a charm now....

What turned me back to the suggestion of a grounding issue is that I tested my headlights one afternoon and noticed that the passenger side was really dim. After i fixed the ground, motors work, relays dont whine and the headlights are both bright. :]