PDA

View Full Version : Gas everywhere

kingjosiah
01-12-2012, 11:38 AM
The car smells like gas when I stop the car and right when I take off. The worst is when I turn off the car it then smells really bad like fuel. It also has a mixture smell of burning oil.

Dr_Snooz
01-12-2012, 01:08 PM
It's really a good idea to let us know what you're driving, carb, fuel-injected, mileage, etc.

89HatchbackLxi
01-12-2012, 01:58 PM
My fuel-injected 89 LXi smelled like I poured gasoline on the floor everytime I pulled it into the garage. Also, it smelled like this about a minute after starting it up in the morning but only if I had the windows down, and the smell only lasted a few seconds. It was my fuel injectors leaking. Made the car start instantly though, which was a nice side effect. Unfortunately, It was all 4 injectors that were leaking. Cost me $800 to replace. I did have slightly burnt oil when I had the oil changed about a month or two before the new injectors were put in. Not sure if the two were related.

If your car is FI, that's probably what you're gonna want to check first.

Edit: It appears your car is an 88 carb... So I guess my post is irrelevant. lol

Dr_Snooz
01-12-2012, 09:34 PM
^^^ Precisely why we need these details!!!!!

TotaledTL
01-13-2012, 04:58 AM
My fuel-injected 89 LXi smelled like I poured gasoline on the floor everytime I pulled it into the garage. Also, it smelled like this about a minute after starting it up in the morning but only if I had the windows down, and the smell only lasted a few seconds. It was my fuel injectors leaking. Made the car start instantly though, which was a nice side effect. Unfortunately, It was all 4 injectors that were leaking. Cost me $800 to replace. I did have slightly burnt oil when I had the oil changed about a month or two before the new injectors were put in. Not sure if the two were related.

If your car is FI, that's probably what you're gonna want to check first.

Edit: It appears your car is an 88 carb... So I guess my post is irrelevant. lol

WOW, $800 to repl. 4 injectors?! I assume you paid somebody- was it a dealer?

DBMaster
01-13-2012, 06:20 AM
If you have to pay full boat the injectors should be no more than $100 each. It takes me about 30-45 minutes to pull the fuel rail and replace so figure a mechanic would charge you for about one hour of labor. I'm still not coming up with $800.

89HatchbackLxi
01-15-2012, 01:22 PM
WOW, $800 to repl. 4 injectors?! I assume you paid somebody- was it a dealer?

If you have to pay full boat the injectors should be no more than $100 each. It takes me about 30-45 minutes to pull the fuel rail and replace so figure a mechanic would charge you for about one hour of labor. I'm still not coming up with $800.

I was charged $680 for the set of 4 new injectors as well as the replacement of the seals. So I guess it was about $170 per injector... The rest of the cost was labor charges.