PDA

View Full Version : Replacing alternator

russiankid
01-12-2012, 09:02 PM
Not really a question, but more of a tip. I was able to replace the alternator in my 3g with a carb without pulling the axle and what not. You have to wiggle it through under the intake manifold, remove the speedo cable for more room, and just be patient with it. It comes out pretty easy, just need patience.

Dr_Snooz
01-12-2012, 09:29 PM
Wow! Russiankid. Where you been man?

russiankid
01-13-2012, 05:58 AM
Been busy with school and what not.

Dr_Snooz
01-13-2012, 08:39 PM
I just killed my truck. It grenaded itself after throwing a timing chain. Punched up all the intake valves. :(

russiankid
01-16-2012, 03:26 PM
I read about that, 350's are dime a dozen at the yard.

poorman212
01-22-2012, 08:43 AM
Not really a question, but more of a tip. I was able to replace the alternator in my 3g with a carb without pulling the axle and what not. You have to wiggle it through under the intake manifold, remove the speedo cable for more room, and just be patient with it. It comes out pretty easy, just need patience.

On the DX and LX, for a bit more room, I always pull the hoses from the heater core, cable to valve.....just a little quicker IMO...yes you have to fill and bleed the coolant.

Even easier on the LXi's.....pull the air filter housing :) Lifts right out.

ecogabriel
01-22-2012, 01:08 PM
I just killed my truck. It grenaded itself after throwing a timing chain. Punched up all the intake valves. :(

Sorry about that... I bet you must be quite :mad: - I would be.

What's next about the "thing"? repair? junk it?

Dr_Snooz
01-22-2012, 04:29 PM
I think I'm going to build a monster truck. Okay not really, but close. I like my truck, but I need it to be a 4x4 that is smog exempt, maybe with a stick shift. I am highly unlikely to find a single truck meeting all those parameters, so I think I'm going to buy the pieces I need to build what I want. There's a guy on Craigslist right now trying to sell a 1975 4x4 crew cab body and frame. I can just swap the body over to my truck and have a smog exempt truck. Then I can rebuild the engine the way I want, drop a crate engine in it, play around with HHO or lean burn or wood gas or homemade alcohol or whatever and not have the smog nazis come take it away. The carb that's on it right now is very tunable, so it's the perfect platform to play around with. Over time, I can build the 4x4 frame up and have the perfect truck.

That's my thinking right now, anyway. Seems like a good idea, but a lot of work.