PDA

View Full Version : Running rich/Flooding?

89fuelie
01-13-2012, 03:42 PM
Talk about a weird problem! I have replaced the ECT (TW) sensor with a new one from Honda, and still the problem persists. Basically, when the engine is fully warmed up and sits for like 15-20 minutes, when you start it the engine runs really rich and floods itself for like 15 seconds. I run it up to around 4K or so, otherwise it misses and if I don't press the gas it will stall.

Now, on a related note, every once in a while the idle will surge, which leads me to think the EACV could be to blame, maybe for both? Especially since turning on the headlights and rear defrost lowers the RPMS by 300 or so. Also, my main relay has acted up on me every once in a while, but that shouldn't cause this, right?

Dr_Snooz
01-13-2012, 08:18 PM
I would think you have a leaking injector. They leak gas into the cylinder and then when you start up, it's all sadness. If you let it sit overnight, the gas evaporates. It's unusual for our injectors to fail this way, but it happens.

89fuelie
01-13-2012, 10:20 PM
You know, this makes sense. It explains why it doesn't happen right away, but after sitting for a while it does. And sitting a long time it doesn't! I know its probably time for a set of new injectors, but do you think some cleaner would get me by in the mean time?

Edit: Supposing I need another set of Injectors, do I get new ones or get these ones cleaned? I imagine they are stock units, 140K miles.

Dr_Snooz
01-15-2012, 07:43 PM
The injector cleaner couldn't hurt. It's pretty difficult to limp these injectors past the time they start to die. It's best to replace them with new ones.