PDA

View Full Version : Poly strut rod bushings, trim the central pin length?

BB_cuda
01-13-2012, 06:02 PM
I recall reading somewhere when somebody switched a 3rd gen to polyurethane strut rod bushings. They said the ride was rough and squirly on the freeway. Another poster mentioned that the central pins needed to be shortened by 1/4" because the polys are thinner. Is this true. My part number is Energy Suspension 16.7102G.

Another dumb question. When i took the strut rods off, the metal "cups" where flipped in a way that i would not have expected. that is the the cup was pointing away from the OEM rubber bushings on both front and rear cup. Is this the right way to put it back together? I would think the cup would fit around the bushing not point away so that it would cradle it radially. I can take a picture of what i mean if this doesn't make sense.

nswst8
01-13-2012, 06:23 PM
Cup side out and yes you must cut 1/4" off these otherwiese the bushing will not seat.

BB_cuda
01-13-2012, 07:11 PM
thanks. I will cut the pins 1/4" shorter. Hack saw I'm guessing ? On the cup washers. If the cups face outward, why did they do that? Wouldn't a flat washer have accomplished the same thing?

cygnus x-1
01-14-2012, 02:36 PM
thanks. I will cut the pins 1/4" shorter. Hack saw I'm guessing ? On the cup washers. If the cups face outward, why did they do that? Wouldn't a flat washer have accomplished the same thing?

Having an outward cupped washer will allow the joint to flex a little easier than a flat washer, but will still spread the load to keep from tearing out the rubber.

C|

BB_cuda
01-16-2012, 06:20 PM
Cygnus, i love your user name!! I have been a Rush fan since ~1976 and Cygnus X-1 done live was awesome the 1st time i saw them ...Hemispheres tour. I have seen them live 5 more times.

I found that i stupidly forgot to put the shortened pins into the strut rod bushing assy. I was cleanignthis morning when i came across the two innocent looking guys sitting there on my cuda rotissorie. The parts were out of sight when iwas down on the ground working on the Accord so I forgot about them and only assembled with the cup washers and poly bushings. Need less to say i pulled the forward portion of the assy apart and pushed the sleeves through the core support and tapped them until I heard them contact the aft cup washer. I then reassembled with cups outward as before. I hunted around underneath looking for something that might slap around when hitting bumps and making this clattering noise. It only happens if I'm going over 20 mph.

I found the troque strut mount bushing (the fwd bushing that is) in severely bad shape. Also, i found the rubber "hanger" on the far pasenger end of the auto trans was ripped. I replaced the fwd torque strut bushing and drove the car. No difference, the wierd rattle is still there. I will get the rubber hanger from BAP-GEON tomorrow. O'reilly didn't carry it. I hate buying from BAP-GEON as they are very high priced. I only do it in a pinch.

I

cygnus x-1
01-17-2012, 09:53 AM
Cygnus, i love your user name!! I have been a Rush fan since ~1976 and Cygnus X-1 done live was awesome the 1st time i saw them ...Hemispheres tour. I have seen them live 5 more times.

:rockon:

I don't know if you've ever heard of the band "Local H", (they're from Lake County IL, where I live), but I saw them live a couple weekends ago and they opened with the first part of 2112. They aren't a cover band, they just like Rush I guess. It was cool to see that they're Rush fans too.

I would SO liked to have seen them during the Hemisphere's tour. But I was only like 3 years old. I didn't know anything about them until high school when I started playing drums. And then Rush is about all I would listen to. I think the last time I saw them was around 1997. Most of their albums since then just don't seem very exciting. I think Roll the Bones was the last really good one.

cuda rotissorie.[/quote[]

I'm jealous of the rotisserie.

[quote=BB_cuda;1085307]
I will get the rubber hanger from BAP-GEON tomorrow. O'reilly didn't carry it. I hate buying from BAP-GEON as they are very high priced. I only do it in a pinch.

BAP-GEON???

C|

BB_cuda
01-30-2012, 06:51 PM
Starting digging on Rush in 8th grade from older brother's influence. I made the rotissorie myself from plans off of the internet. I bought all of the steel from Triple S steel here in south Houston. Sadly, the cuda has been hanging there for 5 years. I've been distracted by a divorce, single parenting, the 89 Accord, and now the diesel beamer.

Now that the acord front end job is done, I'm going to put a large fire under me arse and get going on the cuda again. It will be a 440 powered, 4 speed manual, manual steering, manual brakes, Dana 60 diff BEAST. Curb weight ~3100 lb. Est hp will be 600 if i stroke it to 496 in^3.

cygnus x-1
01-31-2012, 11:36 AM
Starting digging on Rush in 8th grade from older brother's influence. I made the rotissorie myself from plans off of the internet. I bought all of the steel from Triple S steel here in south Houston. Sadly, the cuda has been hanging there for 5 years. I've been distracted by a divorce, single parenting, the 89 Accord, and now the diesel beamer.

Life always seems to get in the way of the important stuff (car projects) right? Actually I could make a rotisserie myself but I would have nowhere to put it. Space is the biggest problem I have right now. Not to mention lack of money.

Now that the acord front end job is done, I'm going to put a large fire under me arse and get going on the cuda again. It will be a 440 powered, 4 speed manual, manual steering, manual brakes, Dana 60 diff BEAST. Curb weight ~3100 lb. Est hp will be 600 if i stroke it to 496 in^3.

:omg: Manual steering and brakes will be interesting on that size of vehicle. Get the biggest rotors you can cram in there. Dual master cylinders with balance bar and you're set. Not sure about steering. I guess if you can keep the weight down it shouldn't be too bad.

C|