PDA

View Full Version : Cardone Distributor

SharkyX
01-15-2012, 06:01 AM
Going to be replacing my Dizzy soon and i see this one listed at advance for our cars for $179 has anyone used one of these before?

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_Distributor-Cardone_3852261-P_218_R%7CGRPTUNEAMS_____

DBMaster
01-15-2012, 10:26 AM
I recommend strongly against ANY reman distributors. Honestly, you can do it better yourself. But, at least now they have new aftermarket units for our cars.

Several NEW ones here. More money? Yes.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=89+honda+accord+distributor&_sacat=See-All-Categories

SharkyX
01-15-2012, 05:10 PM
I recommend strongly against ANY reman distributors. Honestly, you can do it better yourself. But, at least now they have new aftermarket units for our cars.

Several NEW ones here. More money? Yes.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=89+honda+accord+distributor&_sacat=See-All-Categories

I didn't see where it said it was a remanned I thought it was new

Dr_Snooz
01-15-2012, 07:56 PM
I don't think Cardone has a wonderful reputation around here. The new ones on eBay used to be $180, now they are $250. I don't have any personal experience with them, but the fact that they've been around for about a year and have gone up in price would be enough for me to take a flyer on one. Given the generally decrepit state of all the old distributors, I would try to get a new one if possible.

ShyBoyCA6
01-15-2012, 08:05 PM
you cant beat thier lifetime warranty, if they offer something like that if possible that it will work for 6 or something years.

DBMaster
01-16-2012, 06:33 AM
OK, now I'll tell my tale. In 2008 I bought a reman from Hy-Test. I actually called and spoke with them and decided that they do a decent job of rebuilding. The first unit I received provided no spark and had to be sent back immediately. The second one lasted two months and died right as I pulled into my neighborhood. I had to push the car home and it took out my ignition coil when it failed. When I got the third one I disassembled it along with my original and built my own using the best parts from both, including the new bearing and seals. I also reused my original igniter.

That one was good for several months before I lucked into a brand new one on eBay that was still in the original Honda box. I still have the one I rebuilt myself. If you want to go the reman route you can have it for $100. It's light years better than any reman you're going to get online. I even sourced bronze bushings for the advance weights to replace the plastic ones. Please ignore my typo on the part number. It's TD01N, not TD10N.

http://mysite.verizon.net/res1ul76/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderfiles/td10ndistributor.jpg

My mechanic warned me to stay away from ANY remanufactured units. A lifetime warranty does not take away the sting of getting stuck somewhere with a failed distributor.

I would get one of the new aftermarket units, but keep your old one just in case. The OEM igniters are pretty durable and you might need it in the future. I could not tell from your web link if the unit is new or reman, but for that price I am betting reman.

import racer
01-16-2012, 01:08 PM
Well the guy I bought my car from had a dizzy go and he said the one he bought from honda was 600.00. so I don't think it's new.

DBMaster
01-16-2012, 04:28 PM
^^When mine needed replacement there was only ONE OEM distributor remaining in the U.S. and it was $600 from a Honda dealer. Reman was the only way you could go for a long time. The TEC distributor is a real work of art; part mechanical, part electronic and possibly the most complicated distributor ever made. I am taking some literary license here.

My opinion, for what it's worth: The best two options are new or rebuild it yourself. I seriously doubt that the low demand for this item will result in anything but sub-par product from any major companies.

SharkyX
01-16-2012, 04:38 PM
OK, now I'll tell my tale. In 2008 I bought a reman from Hy-Test. I actually called and spoke with them and decided that they do a decent job of rebuilding. The first unit I received provided no spark and had to be sent back immediately. The second one lasted two months and died right as I pulled into my neighborhood. I had to push the car home and it took out my ignition coil when it failed. When I got the third one I disassembled it along with my original and built my own using the best parts from both, including the new bearing and seals. I also reused my original igniter.

That one was good for several months before I lucked into a brand new one on eBay that was still in the original Honda box. I still have the one I rebuilt myself. If you want to go the reman route you can have it for $100. It's light years better than any reman you're going to get online. I even sourced bronze bushings for the advance weights to replace the plastic ones. Please ignore my typo on the part number. It's TD01N, not TD10N.

http://mysite.verizon.net/res1ul76/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderfiles/td10ndistributor.jpg

My mechanic warned me to stay away from ANY remanufactured units. A lifetime warranty does not take away the sting of getting stuck somewhere with a failed distributor.

I would get one of the new aftermarket units, but keep your old one just in case. The OEM igniters are pretty durable and you might need it in the future. I could not tell from your web link if the unit is new or reman, but for that price I am betting reman.

if you still have it when i get paid ill def take it off your hands,

DBMaster
01-16-2012, 09:05 PM
I'll have it. I have been holding onto to it until somebody on the forum needed it. I still recommend going the new route, but at least I know this one is good and has a few months of break-in behind it. I would want only about $10 for shipping (Priority Mail).