PDA

View Full Version : I need to rustproof my car but what do i use

NOAHS88accord
10-16-2002, 08:59 PM
As you already know i live in alaska and we have alotta snow here and cars tend to rust out, so i am planning on getting my car painted but i want to do the prep work myself, what do i use to rustproof the car, does that rubberized spray shit work? please help me out

Noah

wazzupmang
10-16-2002, 11:10 PM
Wazzzupppp!!!! My fellow AK bruutha from anothaaa!!!

I am doing bodywork on my ride as I speak. And I know what you mean about the rust (it's like a virus from all the salt sprayed on the roads in the winter) Back to your question.... First of all , What do you mean by rustproofing? up here it is an impossibility.
And do you mean exterior of body? or undercarriage?
If you have severe rust on the body, Your best bet is to sand the parts that are rusted down to bare metal then put an acrylic primer over that, Then if doing that creates a low spot on that part ........Fill with a finishing glaze, Sand then paint...
As far as that rubberized spray goes, It does work for under the fenderwells and undercarriage but if there is rust there already then you need to sand if you can then spray primer before you shoot with the rubberized spray.....

Hope this helps you with your project.....

Trevis

doug
10-17-2002, 03:39 AM
when treating rust areas I either sand or sandblast, depending on the area, then treat with OSPHO, which is basically phosphoric acid ( yeah, the same thing in Coke) which chemically alters the iron oxide (rust) to iron phospahte, it will turn rust black, but it is also good to treat bare metal to neutralize it. People have told me that Coke will take the rust off of Chrome bumpers, but I've never tried it so I don't know. After OSPHO, let dry and prime.