PDA

View Full Version : Distributor Cap Seal

DBMaster
01-15-2012, 01:56 PM
Anybody know where to get one of them? I am talking about the specially shaped o-ring gasket that goes under the distributor cap on the TEC FI distributor. I used to get them from Majestic Honda but they are no longer available. Can't find one on eBay, Rock Auto, or Drivewire, either.

Maybe running a thing bead of silicone sealant on the cap and letting it dry before installing might suffice.

DBMaster
01-15-2012, 01:59 PM
Forget it. Found one. Auto Parts Warehouse.

Only problem is the shipping costs more than the part. Too bad for me. I might still be liking that sealant idea.

Dr_Snooz
01-15-2012, 08:23 PM
Is that a critical part? I don't think I've had one for at least as long as I've owned the car.

obdriver6
01-15-2012, 10:15 PM
I didn't know it had one! lol

DBMaster
01-16-2012, 06:24 AM
Yeah. When I was still married the other car I maintained was a 99 Isuzu Oasis (truly, a 98 Honda Odyssey). When I purchased replacement caps from Honda they came with the o-ring seal. Ours do not. It is (or, used to be) sold separately. I doubt it's critical. I used the same one for, probably, a decade before a piece broke off after it became brittle. I used to order them from Majestic and change them every other cap change. I change my distributor cap and rotor every 50,000 miles.

It gave me piece of mind because I do occasionally wash the engine with a garden hose. Just plain water has kept the engine bay pretty clean all these years. Since I am not too careful about hitting the distributor having the seal makes me feel better.

Part #13 in this diagram...

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/auto/jsp/mws/prddisplay.jsp?inputstate=5&catcgry1=ACCORD&catcgry2=1989&catcgry3=2DR+LXI&catcgry4=KA4AT&catcgry5=DISTRIBUTOR+%28PGM-FI%29+%28TEC%29

ecogabriel
01-16-2012, 01:23 PM
I do not think is that critical. Just put a plastic bag on the distributor when you wash it and it will take care of it.

DBMaster
01-16-2012, 04:24 PM
^^LOL! I guess I am just anal. I think I have discovered over the years that there are some components of these cars that are simply excessive. Perhaps this is one of them.

cygnus x-1
01-17-2012, 09:33 AM
Maybe, maybe not. The distributor is more sensitive to moisture because of the high voltage inside. My old Nissan wouldn't start very well after it rained because moisture would get into the distributor. Changed the cap and seal and it was fine.

C|

DBMaster
01-17-2012, 11:48 AM
My previous vehicle was a 72 Catalina. As you can tell, I don't change cars very often. The original Delco distributor was at the back of the engine and it had a little metal "hatch" that you raised to get in there with an Allen wrench to adjust the dwell (points). I had to be very careful driving through big puddles because a little splash would seep through the hatch. I used to sometimes have to get out in the rain with a rag to dry the inside of the cap. Later, I did OK by making sure to buy only "Blue Streak" caps which sealed a bit better. Ultimately, the solution was replacing the entire distributor with an HEI model from a 1975 Pontiac. It had the coil mounted in the cap and no points so the seal was decent around the edge of the cap. Problem solved.

So, what you are saying is that maybe I am not crazy after all.

87Hatch3G
01-17-2012, 02:31 PM
Gasket Maker will do the trick, did on mine.

DBMaster
01-17-2012, 07:51 PM
^Sounds like my original idea above. That's what I'll do next time.