PDA

View Full Version : Transmission leaking in cold weather?

newaccorddriver
01-20-2012, 09:35 AM
Since We had this cold snap up where I live where it dipped below -30C, I have been finding a small puddle of transmission fluid right under my car. I have yet to look under it but will be doing so this weekend when I have time.

Is it possible that the seals shrunk a little bit during the cold snap that it let the fluid leak through? Whenever I park somewhere after driving the car, there is not a drop to be found under my car. Only when I let the car sit overnight. If it matters, I put new OEM axle seals in when I swapped out the transmission a couple months ago.

CzEcHy
01-20-2012, 11:17 AM
Is it an automatic? Check the hose from the radiator to tranny. It may of developed a leak.

Mine did that a few weeks ago, and it wasn't even freezing outside but still cold.

Dr_Snooz
01-20-2012, 03:45 PM
x2 on the hoses. If it's not the hoses, then check the new seals you installed. If you don't install them right, they can get damaged.

newaccorddriver
01-20-2012, 07:04 PM
I have traced the leak and its not even the transmission as it was dry. It turned out to be a coolant leak right above the transmission. I looked at the fluid on the ground at night and now that its in the garage, I saw the coolant. Weird how all the new hoses decided to leak in winter...

ecogabriel
01-21-2012, 07:55 AM
Coolant leak right above the transmission? There are a few places from where the leak might come from; the most dreadful ones would be the tiny hoses under the intake manifold (on EFI cars)... dunno whether carbed ones have also those tiny hoses

As for the transmission cooler hoses, if you have not replace them it is a good idea to do so. I replaced mine and left them a little longer than needed; in case I need to remove and attach them I can cut a little where the clamps had been and get a good seal

DBMaster
01-21-2012, 01:44 PM
My money is on the coolant hose that connects to a short piece of metal pipe directly below the distributor. First, you get a leaky distributor o-ring, then, the oil on the hose causes it to fail faster.