PDA

View Full Version : how to set the distributor

amirul
01-22-2012, 10:11 PM
i recently do the top overhaul to my engine.but after finished assmbly,the engine wont start.i have lost the distributor old marked.so have to find it myself.can someone teach me how to set it and really appreciate if i can get the service manual.thx

Buzo
01-23-2012, 10:55 AM
i recently do the top overhaul to my engine.but after finished assmbly,the engine wont start.i have lost the distributor old marked.so have to find it myself.can someone teach me how to set it and really appreciate if i can get the service manual.thx

I just learned to do that, so here is the steps I followed:

Turn the engine counterclockwise from the crankshaft pulley's screw using a 17mm die.
Have somebody watching for you the timing slot between the transmission and the engine while you turn the engine, and tell him to tell you when to stop (when the timing marks are on sight).

The timing marks in my auto transmission look something like this
|..T........*......|..|..|

The TDC is located at the very first mark, so you only need to get the timing pointer to point to that mark (and assure the camshaft's pulley mark is also pointing "UP".

The dizzy has only one way to get assembled, so once in place, see where the rotor is pointing to and that should be the cylinder 1. Cyl 1 is the one closer to the timing belt, by the way.

Dr_Snooz
01-23-2012, 03:27 PM
You should probably also set the cam to TDC as well. There are a couple little lines on the side of the cam gear. Turn until those line up with the top of the head and the valves for cylinder #1 are loose (you can move them with your hand). Both the crank and cam should be at TDC, then install the timing belt. The distributor should only go in one way, which should be close enough to get it started. You can fine tune from there.

amirul
01-28-2012, 06:12 AM
sorry for late reply.i've done that.the 1st piston at tdc(top of the block) and the campulley at mark linear as on the heab mark.i have adjusted the distributor in a few direction but still wont start.what else should i do

Hazwan
01-28-2012, 06:39 AM
Never done this myself but if you are 100% certain that you got them all lined up then theres gotta be something else. Are you getting a spark at all? Check the basics! Fuel/spark and stuff.

Dr_Snooz
01-28-2012, 08:10 PM
^^^ What he said. If it's all set right, then you're looking for the stuff you forgot to connect when you put it back together.

lostscotiaguy
02-04-2012, 06:06 PM
Hopefully this will help...
I just redid this myself recently.
Little pointer though:

On step 4 they make it look easy, but the fact is, when you insert the distributor in it will rotate slightly off the No.1 Cylinder mark....
What I did was used a marker and marked a line on the body of the distributor that lined up with the #1 cylinder mark on the Cap, then used that as a reference when I put the distributor back on.

That way I was able to turn the distr. just a little bit off center before inserting it into the housing, and then when it's fully inserted I can compare the line on the distributor body to make sure the rotor is centered on that No.1 mark.
Obviously this is all done AFTER making sure you have put the engine @ TDC, as already been described.

A lot of this is probably common sense, and I may be a little "over instructive" but I tend to be OCD about such things so hopefully no one minds! LOL

If all else fails and it still doesn't work, my only suggestions are to check the wires leading to the distrib., and ensure your plug wires are in the correct order.... if it's an OLD distributor, hopefully your igniter unit isn't burnt out...lemme know if you still have no luck, and if you'd like I can post pics on how to test it.

http://img80.imageshack.us/img80/6712/scanzo.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/80/scanzo.jpg/)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)

Demon1024
02-05-2012, 12:44 AM
If you've got it all back together and it isn't starting with the dizzy in top middle or bottom positions some thing else is wrong. Hopefully you did align everything right before starting it >.< Now you get to figure out what isn't working. Check / spark / fuel air? Otherwise you need a timing light

amirul
02-05-2012, 03:54 PM
thank dude,actually i have got it started and the step is same like yours.
1.piston 1 at TDC
2.cable plug order at the distributor should 1,3,4,2. anticlockwise rotation.
3.the rotor must at the no 1 plug.so when the engine start,the plug will spark in order 1,3,4,2.
my problem before were, the plug was in wrong order,the distributor rotor not at the no 1 plug before start and the fuel pump was stucked with something in the tank.i have to blow air into the tank using mouth.lol.anyway,thank a lot with the info.