PDA

View Full Version : Say where'd you learn all of this suspension stuff anyhow?

DarknessRS
10-16-2002, 11:26 PM
Jim: I'm not trying to imply anything here, just wondering how you learned all that stuff in the first place.

Jims 86LXI HB
10-17-2002, 12:28 AM
Did you mean for this to be posting inside a thread?

I'm kinda uncomfortable replying to this, like being asked to brag or something. I get enough peole calling me a guru and stuff. I'm just a guy that has and still does, go out of his way to get to the truth and help when asked.

I dunno a lifetime of being interested in the topic. And I've pretty much read every single post that's been done on the topic since the original board was created 2 years ago. So I take note of the the experiences of others. Plus I have my own experiences as well that have tought me much. And ruthlessly picking the brains of the techs from Eibach, Koni, Bilstein, Tokico, KYB, Neuspeed, Progress Group, and Suspension Techniques was also invaluable. In addition I regularly visit www.sccaforums.com and Grass Roots Motor sports forums, both of which have a outstanding amount of information, especially the magizine the Grass Roots puts out. And I will bookmark anything I think is of value on any site so that I can go back to it latter. I will also post questions on other forums looking for opinions and feedback.

Also it is important to understand that I will absolutely not budge or flex on the position that I will not promote a suspension setup that would not cut it on a production vehicle. Now that is not to say I agree with thier love of "safe" understeer in terms of front to rear spring rates and sway bar sizing. I really talking about ride and drive, i.e. proper strut to spring balance.

Jims 86LXI HB
10-17-2002, 12:41 AM
Giving that you asked me about knowing suspension stuff, go here for some excellent reads on the topic.

http://www.grmotorsports.com/techmain.html

here's their main index

http://www.grmotorsports.com

socal3rdgen
10-17-2002, 09:45 AM
all mighty-guru-god, all hail to jim. :lol

had to throw that in it just wouldnt be right now to have that in each thread jim replies too. :D

DarknessRS
10-17-2002, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by Jims 86LXI HB
Did you mean for this to be posting inside a thread?

I'm kinda uncomfortable replying to this, like being asked to brag or something.

I made a new thread for this question. Sorry, I didn't mean to make you uncomfortable, I was just curious. You can delete the thread if you like.

ACCORD EX
10-17-2002, 12:30 PM
nice sites Jim ! thanx for sharing !:super:

MIKE

Jims 86LXI HB
10-17-2002, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by DarknessRS

I made a new thread for this question. Sorry, I didn't mean to make you uncomfortable, I was just curious. You can delete the thread if you like.

Ok, that's allright. I won't delete it and can't as a matter of policy.