PDA

View Full Version : stick with PS or ditch it for a manual rack?

Hash_man_Se_i
01-23-2012, 07:10 PM
Well, I spent some time working on the accord this weekend. Showed her some love after neglecting her for a while.

Unfortunately while working on the disc swap, I noticed that what used to be a small leak in my steering rack has now turned ugly. so, I need to replace the raCk, dont have time to rebuild the rack myself. Now, I am tring to decide if I should just swap in a new rack, or grab a manual rack from the wrecker.

Looking for some opinions on this... I do like my PS, and honestly not sure what an accord feels like without it. The last cars without PS that I have driven are not exactly similar to a fwd Honda lol (testarossa, Dino, 69 Camaro). Lol.

Thoughts from my fellow 3geers?

AZmike
01-23-2012, 09:22 PM
I thoroughly converted a power rack to manual. It was nice at speed with a bit more feel, but a noticeable increase in effort at parking lot speeds. Fuel economy increased slightly also. I think you'll need the subframe if you plan to swap in the manual rack. I'm not sure since they're so rare down here--I've only read about them.

A18A
01-23-2012, 09:40 PM
having a manual rack is all good (a lot better than a power one converted to manual anyway) steering doesn't take much effort at all when going slow/stopped. I personally prefer power steering though :)

I found it easier to just swap the whole sub-frame too

Strugglebucket
01-23-2012, 10:41 PM
I wouldn't want the slower ratio of a manual rack. The PS system is really nice.

DBMaster
01-24-2012, 05:47 AM
The P/S in these cars has more "feel" even at slow speeds than other P/S systems of the time period. I do agree that they get harder to maintain as they get older. I can give you a long list of things I have had to do to keep my P/S functional over the years. It is currently not leaking anywhere (that I know of), but it's only a matter of time. I still have a couple or three of the original low pressure hoses that I haven't replaced due their poor accessibility, but I have replaced everything else - multiple times.

BB_cuda
01-24-2012, 07:51 AM
I never knew manual rack was even an option. People here at work are into electric conversions. I ruled it out as the ideal candidate is a manual steering, manual transmission car. I knew i could switch over to manual trans but thought steering had to stay power. The 3rd gen sedan weighs 2700 lb and generally a conversion to electric adds 600 to 800 lb due to the bank of batteries. This is the net change of weight taking into account the loss of the internal combustion engine's weight.

Nice to know there is an option whether its for keeping the A20A3 engine or going electric. We have charging ports at work with "priveledged parking" spots to get the charging. There are only about 4 places but only 2 people do it.

DBMaster
01-24-2012, 08:53 AM
^^Pretty interesting, BB. Would you be able to post a pic or two of the converted cars? I hear about charging stations popping up around here all the time, but it's still a LONG way from making an electric vehicle affordable and practical for most of us. It'll get there, though, if electric ends up being the way to go. I'm not completely convinced of that yet, but it appeals to me for its potential simplicity and reduced maintenance.

Now, if there we only a way to take the individual drivers' decisions out of driving we'd all be better off.

cygnus x-1
01-24-2012, 09:03 AM
Take the PS belt off and see how it feels driving. That would give you a pretty good idea about what a manual rack would be like. Although a manual rack will be a little easier at slow speeds because of the lower ratio.

C|

Hash_man_Se_i
01-24-2012, 12:56 PM
I never knew manual rack was even an option. People here at work are into electric conversions. I ruled it out as the ideal candidate is a manual steering, manual transmission car. I knew i could switch over to manual trans but thought steering had to stay power. The 3rd gen sedan weighs 2700 lb and generally a conversion to electric adds 600 to 800 lb due to the bank of batteries. This is the net change of weight taking into account the loss of the internal combustion engine's weight.

Nice to know there is an option whether its for keeping the A20A3 engine or going electric. We have charging ports at work with "priveledged parking" spots to get the charging. There are only about 4 places but only 2 people do it.

Manual rack was standard in base model Accords outside of the US. So here in Canada they are somewhat common... I can get a rebuilt PS rack for under $200, so I am leaning towards just goinh that way and getting on with it. I currently have a B20 PS pump, and modified high pressure line to go between that and the accord rack... I am hoping the rack is all that needs replacing.

AZmike
01-24-2012, 08:11 PM
Take the PS belt off and see how it feels driving. That would give you a pretty good idea about what a manual rack would be like. Although a manual rack will be a little easier at slow speeds because of the lower ratio.

C|

The steering is even heavier than the difference in ratio would indicate. By just pulling he belt you're still moving the piston on the rack and pushing fluid through the small orifices of the valve body add quite a bit more effort than a manual rack would have. I'd had some experience driving a with both a manual rack and just the belt removed and the difference is noticeable.

Hazwan
01-24-2012, 11:18 PM
I miss my PS but I definitely did not miss those leaks and the huge bills to get it fixed... only to find it would leak again in the next few weeks.

cygnus x-1
01-25-2012, 08:37 AM
The steering is even heavier than the difference in ratio would indicate. By just pulling he belt you're still moving the piston on the rack and pushing fluid through the small orifices of the valve body add quite a bit more effort than a manual rack would have. I'd had some experience driving a with both a manual rack and just the belt removed and the difference is noticeable.

That's why I drained and gutted my power rack. I never actually drove it though with just the belt disconnected. All I know is that it feels great with no fluid and gutted valves.

C|

DBMaster
01-25-2012, 09:09 AM
Yeah, excellent P/S system for the first ten years then it all went to crap. My rebuilt rack doesn't leak and has lasted nearly 150,000 miles, but it is now starting to get a little wonky on me. The amount of assist at parking speeds seems to vary. Some on here have said it's a sticky part inside the valve box. I already rebuilt the pump and there were no issues there. Everything is better now with all new fluid, but I'm sure I'll have to flush it again in a year and I'm sure more hoses will leak in the future. If you can tolerate manual, that just might be the way to go.

Rendon LX-i
01-25-2012, 03:05 PM
I had it for awhile now when i was boosted and before. Honesty it is not bad felt pretty easy to turn. I say get a manual. The fuild in the rack makes it seem a bit hard to turn. With a manual rack all you have is gears so nothing fighting back.

I vote manual rack for the fact its 1. A project car. 2. its not meant for everyday use. 3 your bay would look so much clearer.

Dr_Snooz
01-25-2012, 04:09 PM
Does anyone know if the steering wheels on the OE manual steering cars were bigger?

A18A
01-25-2012, 05:34 PM
nah they where the same size

Hash_man_Se_i
01-25-2012, 06:07 PM
I had it for awhile now when i was boosted and before. Honesty it is not bad felt pretty easy to turn. I say get a manual. The fuild in the rack makes it seem a bit hard to turn. With a manual rack all you have is gears so nothing fighting back.

I vote manual rack for the fact its 1. A project car. 2. its not meant for everyday use. 3 your bay would look so much clearer.

All of your points are true Josh. Especially number 2... Technically it would be my every day car, but I walk to work... I have put probably less than 5000kms on the Accord since August, and that includes a 1200km drive home.

Now... Here is another point, I do plan on tracking the car this summer. Possibly a bit of AutoX, but mostly lapping days locally, and down in WA.

MessyHonda
01-26-2012, 07:58 PM
keep the ps. all you got to do is change the rack..not that hard. but if you want to take your time to take everything out and convert it to manual go for it but it sounds like it would take more time and time=MONEY :)

AZmike
01-26-2012, 08:30 PM
That's why I drained and gutted my power rack. I never actually drove it though with just the belt disconnected. All I know is that it feels great with no fluid and gutted valves.

C|

In that case you might appreciate the improvement in steering feel by fixing the pinion holder in place with some epoxy putty in the PS valve body to ensure all the motion of the pinion goes directly to the rack. You don't even have the remove the rack--just the valve body.

cygnus x-1
01-27-2012, 08:54 AM
In that case you might appreciate the improvement in steering feel by fixing the pinion holder in place with some epoxy putty in the PS valve body to ensure all the motion of the pinion goes directly to the rack. You don't even have the remove the rack--just the valve body.

When I first did the conversion there was a lot of slop in the rack. Adjusting the rack guide bushing got rid of maybe 75% of it. The rest was removed by putting a piece of plastic tubing over the pin that goes into the valve port. It takes out the play that would normally be there.

C|