PDA

View Full Version : Ebrake Very Tight bust doesn't work

SharkyX
01-24-2012, 02:07 PM
I went and tightened my ebarake today due to the fact that my parking brakes haven't worked in a while. I tightened it and you can feel it when you pull it up thats its much tighter. however, its not doing a thing. i put her in neutral and it still rolled as if i had no brake on at al. suggestions?l

PS. The rear brakes are not very old, 3-4k miles on them at best

2ndGenGuy
01-24-2012, 03:38 PM
Probably want to get into the drums and tweak the shoe adjusters. The auto-adjusters don't really work all that well. You'll probably firm up your brake pedal a lot doing this as well.

DBMaster
01-24-2012, 04:32 PM
I agree. I went through the same thing for years after using cheap relined Raybestos shoes. I bought some new OEM brake shoes, replaced the hardware (springs), and cleaned and tweak the self-adjusters. It's been great ever since. What I heard was that if you had to do any playing with the cable inside the car there's something wrong in back. I haven't had to touch the stuff in the car for about ten years. You should get about 5-6 "clicks" when you pull up the handle and that's it. Everything else is done inside the brake drum.