PDA

View Full Version : Which Headers Do You Choose?

firefighterwhite89
01-25-2012, 04:28 PM
It's all down to getting a set of headers...just...which ones...Paceshitter or OBX. OBX looks more durable but pacesetter seems more power efficient.
I need something to replace the stock small headers. Which would you go with or without?

obdriver6
01-25-2012, 09:30 PM
Depends on if you want more tq. or hp but they both will give you a noticeable performance improvement. I would go with the DC/pacesetters (DC is better quality but hard to come by). More power and you don't have to worry about hitting anything on the bottom.

ShyBoyCA6
01-25-2012, 09:50 PM
Paceshitter... i have 2 DC's :)

MessyHonda
01-26-2012, 07:20 PM
If your motor is stock and only has bolt ons you should get pacesetters and if you are going to rebuild your engine or have some headwork you should get OBX. I have owned DC headers and they are good quality but they are hard to find. the SS headers are not being made anymore so good luck trying to find some.

hondalude86
01-26-2012, 08:15 PM
Personally, im really impressed with the quality of the obx. Full stainless and pretty syrong. It is pretty low on the car though... biggest issue with all these is the collector size is 2". Ive owned the pacesetter, obx, and the actual s&s

frantik
01-26-2012, 09:11 PM
i have DC header and it's much better build quality than pacesetter. i never installed pacesetter but I like the DC header a lot. if u want a dc header buy my car :kekeke:

Pico
01-27-2012, 08:17 AM
I've had both on my sedan.
The pacesetters were ok and a good improvement over the stock one, the DC's which Im running now are better built and come with a more noticeable increase in power

lostforawhile
01-27-2012, 01:55 PM
Personally, im really impressed with the quality of the obx. Full stainless and pretty syrong. It is pretty low on the car though... biggest issue with all these is the collector size is 2". Ive owned the pacesetter, obx, and the actual s&s

how are the S&S? i haven't been able to run mine yet of course, i'm running them with a full stainless setup and my own muffler

hondalude86
01-27-2012, 04:21 PM
They are literally the same as the obx. But on my s&s i cut the collector back and made it 2.25 inches... noth the s&s and the obx have only a 2inch collector and it think its just to small. I truely believe modding the down pipe made a difference...
http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x319/hondalude86/IMG_20110711_185324.jpg
After modded
http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x319/hondalude86/IMG_20110711_180545.jpg
Before...

lostforawhile
01-27-2012, 05:06 PM
well I got rid of that awful ball joint first thing, I replaced it with a flex pipe, I had 2 inch aircraft stainless pipe, I will have to see how well it works with all mandrel bends, of course I don't have a cat eithier

gfrg88
01-28-2012, 04:01 PM
OBX. the 3rd gen lacks top end more than anything. If you were to compare stock manifold vs OBX on dyno, I can guarantee that OBX would see power throughout the powerband; and probably show more gains than paceshitter too.

knifemind
01-29-2012, 08:55 PM
I'm going to agree on the OBX. I got hung up off of a cliff and ripped my exhaust in half, so I just ordered one to replace the Pacesetter that's currently installed. I cut mine back to 2.5" on my Prelude, but I will probably leave it as is for the 3gee (the rest of the exhaust is 2" and I'm not rebuilding the whole thing).

The OBX quality is not 'great' but it is good, and value for money, it's an easy choice. There's one EBAY seller who has a 'make offer' option, and I got it for 160, plus 25 shipping. If you haven't purchased yet, you might be able to get one for less...

Tomisimo
02-08-2012, 07:46 AM
DC-Sports 4-2-1
vs.
SS 4-1.

We can use B18b headers, with custom head flange and abit of tube squoshing.

thegreatdane have modified a H22 DC header and it wasnt preaty on the inside let me tell you, welds was to high and uneven.

rjudgey
02-08-2012, 10:54 AM
Why not custom? or is budget a real issue?
If money is tight you would be better to have a stock cast manifold, have it ported, and polished, match the secondary ports to the downpipe, now with downpipe I'd get that bit custom made with mandrel bent 2" piping leading to a 2.25" mandrel bent system or if your going for a power build 2.5". I have setup like this with a 2.5" and with my other mods my A18 is putting down nearly 198bhp with 158lbft torque on the dyno session I had the other week. With a tubular manifold with long 1.5" primaries and shorter secondaries with 2" piping would get me well over 200bhp mark higher peak power and make even more torque across the board. Which isn't bad for a engine build based on stock block parts all blueprinted used Honda A20A3/4 pistons stock size, Sealed power wrist pins (lighter), Honda rods 2nd hand from donor engine with lowish miles, same rod bolts, stock crank, ACL racing bearings on con rods and mains, Hastings rings at 83mm hand gapped to racing specs. The power really comes from the headwork, camshaft and webers plus a quality custom exhaust.

Tomisimo
02-08-2012, 01:36 PM
Agreed, nothing beats really good fabricated exhaust.
-So you saing that stock manifold that was ported is a cheaper solution? I could agree if you do it your self, but if you get a shop to do it, than its better to go with paceshiter and save a few lbs. while at it.

rjudgey
02-09-2012, 09:44 AM
Yeah DIY the cast header it's not hard! but then I guess if you don't have a decent drill or dremel with carbide cutters then you'd have to pay for those, machine shop should be able to do it without costing too much though. 50-100$ max just throwing it out there as an option most have a dremel thingy or something similar or know someone who does????

lostforawhile
02-10-2012, 03:37 PM
Since the s&s are no longer made, I would say get the obx and fix the sloppy work on them,anything is better then stock,unless you are in the emissions republic of cali, then you stuck modifying. The manifold

marvis
02-11-2012, 12:58 AM
I smash my stock down pipe as it is. How much lower is an OBX item?

itzdave
02-11-2012, 01:34 AM
I smash my stock down pipe as it is. How much lower is an OBX item?

the obx was very low as you can see from some of my last pix. if you plan on making your car very low then i wouldnt go with the obx/s&s header...

and the dc header is super hard to find find so i dont really see why that is such the popular choice....

Tomisimo
02-11-2012, 06:11 AM
the dc header is super hard to find find so i dont really see why that is such the popular choice....

You pruved a point. The DC is a more poppular choise. dosnt mean its worth extra 150 $.

Guys, face it, the DC is gone, SS now as well. if you want a real thing, than there is alot of different options, and experiments with headers from another hondas that were made over the years, da*n, nobody remembers that Mitsu Eclipse header fits our cars for example. Its also possible to weld new flange on another quolity header. imagination is the limit, really.

rjudgey: I agree with you on DIY, even if Dremel and a torq.hose with bits are expensive, but its an investmant. I never regret! really. But, not everyone can do this even if they manage to take everything off the car, buy tools to do this job. In order to get even flow from all cylinders, one must be preatty handy to shave an equal amount inside each channel. Difference in pressure inside, can make for some torbulant areas, and low preasure areas, making uneven power output from individual pistons. You'll never know this and maybe not even notice IRL, but. Ever wonder why some headers explode? besides those who wrapped it in glassfiber kloth. Well here is your explonation why. Carst Iron is robust tho.
I'im with you tho about going custom, this is what this site was alway about. finding, fixing, modifying parts to fit our cars. Miss that.

mushroom_toy
02-11-2012, 09:46 AM
I have the obx...with extra o2 and egr bungs removed welded and fully polished....performance is good but header hands super low....had to raise my motor 1.5" to accommodate my drop...so Im switching to a different header eventually...if your car isnt all that low then go for it...super nice and build quality is good for the price.

Tdurr
02-11-2012, 01:36 PM
da*n, nobody remembers that Mitsu Eclipse header fits our cars for example.

funny you say that... I was in nopi(yes ricer nopi) and saw a 4g63 header sitting on the wall. It looked close to the accords(from wut I could tell). Maybe I'll see if I can find a stock header and see if it will bolt up.

That whole thing was never 100% confirmed. Just some guy was like hey these fit, then never got online again...

87roach
02-12-2012, 10:40 AM
I should sell my old exhaust, no idea what else to do with it..

Tomisimo
02-12-2012, 10:54 AM
Tim, it wasnt some guy. The guy who said that really tested allot of things. since he was working if I recall correctly at a parts store so he had access to lots of options. I would like to see someone testing it. You know you have the costumer rights to return a product within 14days? go for it.

gfrg88
02-12-2012, 04:36 PM
4g63 mani will NOT fit A series. Maybe b20a? I ran 4g63 manifold on F22a1 though :)

Tomisimo
02-12-2012, 05:25 PM
The guys here, at least veterans are craftsman over here. Mainly because nothing fits our cars. Thumb rule here is, if its close enough. What you do is make it fit.
Installed a H22A dc sports header, pics (http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=56446)

I'm closing this thread. Enough said.