PDA

View Full Version : Performance mods???

87blueaccorddx
10-17-2002, 03:29 AM
Hey u guys, i have a couple of questions about the difficulty or the gain and advantages that i will gain or recieve from the mods that i am strongl thinking of. Here they are:

1. Aluminum flywheel-- this is one that i really think i need help on, , wats the gain and how would i insall that.

2. Tune up all around, by getting a tune up and replacing liquids and oil change and everything i will gain peak performance.

3. Custom Air Intake maaayb r i mite just get a k and n airfliter, my lid id already flipped.

4. Accel Coil- ???

5. Also wen i a driving my car tends to jump a little wen the gears change, wat can i do for that, its annoying

[87 accord dx]

thanx lot u guys

Sabz5150
10-17-2002, 07:02 AM
A lightweight flywheel will make your engine VERY rev happy. You'll be able to achieve higher revs quick.

Disadvantage? You lose them just as fast.

Installation requires removal of the transmission (obviously), as well as your starter, clutch cable, pressure plate and clutch disc. There will be a number of 12 point bolts holding the flywheel to the crank. Make sure you have a socket to fit that. While you're there, replace your rear crank seal. They have a tendency to be worn pretty bad on cars as old as ours. After you get the flywheel off, bolt the new one on, and install your clutch (Preferably a new one). Put your tranny back on, reconnect everything and you're set!

A tune up is always a good way to restore lost horses and torque, no two ways about it.

You're running a carbed engine, so a custom intake will be just that... custom. You'll gain a bit of power from a straight cold-air intake (Remember your bypass valve on a CAI... hydro lock is the start of a VERY BAD day). If you can do it, go for it... it's a good bang-for-the-buck upgrade.

The Accel coil is an upgraded ignition coil, giving you greater spark in your cylinders. You can increase your spark gap by as much as .010 after installing this. More spark = more fuel burned = more power and efficiency.

From your last question, I'd think you were driving an automatic, at which point your flywheel is right out. Autos cannot take a custom flywheel... your best bet for performance instead is an upgraded torque converter... higher stall RPM and quicker shifts. If you are driving a manual, that sounds like clutch slippage... replace the clutch when you do your flywheel. If you're running automatic, check your tranny fluid, it may need to be changed.

Other carb upgrade ideas include the all-too-famous Weber carbeurator, which a lot of people here will tell you that despite the price tag, it is a worthy upgrade. They can be a bit of a headache to tune, but if you've got experience working with carbs, this should not be a problem. Also, you can get a performance camshaft, which you can get in many flavors for whatever type of power increase you're aiming for. Headers and a cat-back exhaust will put the icing on your cake.

Feel free to ask any other questions :) (3geez guys correct me if I posted anything wrong)

-5150 :bandit:

Site
10-17-2002, 08:09 AM
Nice write up, Sabz. He may wanna check out exhaust headers, too. www.nopionline.com carries them for our cars.

Do we know if anyone on the board has tried an upgraded torque converter for our cars?

Mike's89AccordLX
10-17-2002, 08:23 AM
Go with headers, and a CAI, WEBER!!!!!! get a weber 32/36 :rice: :bh:

Grant2k
10-17-2002, 08:39 AM
J.C. Whitney can do you better on the headers. around $130 compared to $150, and i've always had better experiences with JCW.

dXsquared
10-17-2002, 02:48 PM
do they have ceramic ones?
Travis

87blueaccorddx
10-17-2002, 03:58 PM
yea they do for about 240-280

dXsquared
10-18-2002, 03:57 PM
ceramic is cheaper then at nopi.com

Travis

1988starter
10-20-2002, 03:38 PM
Nopi is better than JCW

87blueaccorddx
10-20-2002, 05:13 PM
hey does the ceramic header from pacesetter peel also? if so do i have to strip that and repaint it, wat kinda stripper/paint?

1988starter
10-20-2002, 06:21 PM
The Ceramic header does not peel It holds up quite well