PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Filter Woes

2drSE-i
01-26-2012, 06:33 AM
Whats up 3geez. Let me first start off by saying, I should know better than to think this would be an easy job. What I thought would be a quick 15 minute project has turned into a screaming match between me, the car, and every tool I can hurl at the garage wall.

That being said, I went to change my fuel filter last night. Disconnected negative battery terminal, relieved fuel pressure, brick wall. Tried to remove the OUT connection on the fuel filter, and it is FROZEN SOLID. WILL not budge. Soak in WD-40, rinse, repeat, nothing. OK, no problem, I have an impact at home (Was at my sisters, she has a garage.) So lets just put the bolt back in so that I can drive it home. Do that, try to start it back up, Nothing. Fuel spraying everywhere, from where the rubber meets the steel on the IN line to the filter. Heres what I'm talking about:

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-qT9tWWZJ4b0/TyFi0adhbSI/AAAAAAAABF4/HfBGze_AYlE/s640/IMAG0149.jpg

The line in the foreground. Should be easy to get off with a 14mm Line wrench, right? Which way should it turn, Clockwise, facing me or counter-clockwise? REALLY don't want to break this, seeing as how I've alreaady broken one line... I'm thining that this line may have already been broken, causing my poor gas mileage (22mpg's right now...) but it wasn't this evident before i got to tinkering.

Changing a fuel filter should NOT be this difficult damnit! I'm praying to 3geezus!

DBMaster
01-26-2012, 07:50 AM
It can be a pain. The only tool I have ever used on the front hose is an open ended wrench (17mm, I think). Sometimes I find it easier to pull the filter from the holding bracket so I can twist it sideways and grab onto the filter. The part of the filter that the banjo bolts are threaded into is hex-shaped so you can put a wrench on it, grab both wrenches ans "squeeze" them toward each other. Still not easy, but easiER.

2drSE-i
01-26-2012, 08:02 AM
It can be a pain. The only tool I have ever used on the front hose is an open ended wrench (17mm, I think). Sometimes I find it easier to pull the filter from the holding bracket so I can twist it sideways and grab onto the filter. The part of the filter that the banjo bolts are threaded into is hex-shaped so you can put a wrench on it, grab both wrenches ans "squeeze" them toward each other. Still not easy, but easiER.

Any tips on removing that fuel line, now that it needs to be repaired? Wish i knew which way it was threaded.

DBMaster
01-26-2012, 09:29 AM
I have not had to replace mine. The threading on the bolts on the fuel filter are all regular, righty-tighty/lefty-loosey threads.

Bluntman
01-26-2012, 10:23 AM
Maybe a breaker bar and a long extension. I have not tried it on the fuel filter bolts but it has worked on other small nuts and bolts on these old cars that I could not break free with a socket. It may give you some leverage.

2oodoor
01-26-2012, 12:11 PM
I hate that when a normally shoud be simple and quick task go to poop.

On those banjo nuts sometimes tighten just a click and then bust it loose on the lefty lucy.
Having two wrenches is the best way if applicable, just squeeze them together like DBM said.
Use six points, it is not really a flare nut is it? good advice too is to get the one you (can) get off and get the filter out of the retainer up where you can deal with it.

DBMaster
01-26-2012, 12:52 PM
The banjo bolt under the pressure relief bolt only has flats on two sides so all I have ever been able to use on it is an open ended wrench. Maybe Honda had a special tool for it.

2oodoor
01-27-2012, 04:19 AM
some Knipex pleirs would work great, those are the best grabbers and well worth the expense. The 88-250 are my fav size but the larger ones come in handy too because the handles are longer.

2drSE-i
01-27-2012, 06:01 AM
two seconds with an impact got the first banjo bolt off, two wrenches got the other. That stupid fuel line is an odd size, vice grips got it off. getting the rubber replaced may be a different story, however. Two days later, its almost ready to go back together lol...

DBMaster
01-27-2012, 06:39 AM
I used to change them every 30,000 miles. I don't know where I got that interval because 60,000 is correct. It's kind of a crappy location. Not enough space around it. My favorite fuel filters were always the ones on Ford FI cars. Pop out two plastic clips and the fuel lines just pull right off.

Oldblueaccord
01-27-2012, 10:13 AM
two seconds with an impact got the first banjo bolt off, two wrenches got the other. That stupid fuel line is an odd size, vice grips got it off. getting the rubber replaced may be a different story, however. Two days later, its almost ready to go back together lol...

Might have to have that fuel line made so keep the ends.

wp

2drSE-i
01-27-2012, 02:36 PM
Might have to have that fuel line made so keep the ends.

wp

QFT. Unavailable from anywhere. had it made at Midwest Hoses, they did it for free! awesome guys! no leaks and the car is moving again. thanks for the help everyone!

Dr_Snooz
01-27-2012, 08:39 PM
Credit goes to member "rebuild" for finding this special tool.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200379089_200379089

I had a heater hose on the truck that had a crimped aluminum end like that fuel line. I needed to replace it and couldn't find a replacement at all anywhere. I took the Dremel and cut off the aluminum band and found a simple, standard sized, bulb fitting beneath. I put a standard bulk hose on it with a hose clamp and it works like a champ. I realize that the pressures are quite a bit higher for a fuel line, but I would give it a shot. I've heard of it being done on an A/C line so I think it's worth trying. Nuts to those silly custom made hoses.

DBMaster
01-28-2012, 09:00 AM
That's exactly what happens with A/C line. Years ago, one of the A/C hoses blew on my Pontiac. The parts store sold me simple barb fittings and bulk A/C hose. No problems at all and A/C pressures are much higher than fuel line pressure. I like that banjo bolt socket!

Cheaper on eBay.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=banjo+bolt+socket&_sacat=See-All-Categories

I bought one!

pickupman6
02-01-2012, 12:58 PM
Ha! At least its not in a tiny hole. Try changing on in a 5gee. Its near about impossible without pulling the master cyl.
Glad you got it back going though.

2drSE-i
02-01-2012, 04:48 PM
Hah me too. Unfortunately Gas mileage still sucks. All new ignition parts, fuel filter (obviously), recently cleaned air filter. Cant figure this out. Don't think i've got any vacuum issues.

DBMaster
02-02-2012, 08:25 AM
I already got the banjo bolt socket in the mail. Truly, a thing of beauty!

2oodoor
02-02-2012, 09:13 AM
Hah me too. Unfortunately Gas mileage still sucks. All new ignition parts, fuel filter (obviously), recently cleaned air filter. Cant figure this out. Don't think i've got any vacuum issues.

have you tried bumping up the ignition timing some? I just had to do that myself to accomodate the ultra rich jets I installed for colder weather were not having.. lol
note in either order you will need to adjust the base idle some,

I took my wife's ride to jiffy lube last night, short on time and very urgent need to change the oil. Anyway the car ahead of me, Del Sol, was about to get a fuel filter installed so they told me another 15-20 min.. I thought of this thread zomg please don't strip out the banjo (insert deliverance tune here)

DBMaster
02-02-2012, 10:10 AM
^^Boy, you got a pretty fuel filter.