PDA

View Full Version : AC fan not working

Australian 86
01-30-2012, 01:58 AM
Ok, after finishing my clutch change/ new radio install, i have found that the fan used to push through the AC/ cooling fan no longer works. The AC itself works, but nothing is pushing it through...
any ideas?

AccordB20A
01-30-2012, 02:57 AM
has to be something simple like a plug off or something?

Australian 86
01-30-2012, 03:01 AM
yeah, exactly my thinking, i just cant think where the problem would have occurred... either something is not pluged in /damged or pinched, when i changed either the clutch or radio.
What do you think is more likely... I think it may have been from the radio, but i wasn't rough or anything...

Dr_Snooz
01-30-2012, 07:53 PM
You know, I don't think anyone here has yet come up with a good way to tackle the cooling fans. They go on the blink in a variety of ways on a pretty regular basis around here and pretty much everyone who ever fixes them just ends up Easter egging.

Mine are still working fine, so I don't have much to contribute either. However, if mine were to go out, I would probably spend a lot of time with the Electrical Troubleshooting Manual (http://3geez.wiki-tv.com/Honda_service_manuals)and a multimeter, going through the circuit.

Good luck.

Rendon LX-i
01-31-2012, 09:35 AM
well if fans not working yet the Ac clutch is engaged. Seems like the pressure switch is shot. once the high side is at a certain level on these old systems it well turn that fan on an equalize the pressures.

Also test power on the fan if you get source voltage then fan is shot it self.

DBMaster
01-31-2012, 09:51 AM
You know what? If it is still the original fan it is most likely the motor. I have replaced mine twice over the life of the car. I got the last one from Rock Auto. Sometimes, the simplest solutions are the correct ones.

Put your key in the "ON" position without starting the car. Turn on the A/C. If the fan does not come on check for voltage at the connector to the motor. If you have voltage it's the motor. If you don't, it's either the relay or wiring. These cars have well made harnesses so I am inclined to think it's your fan motor.

Australian 86
02-01-2012, 05:48 AM
well thanks very much much for that guys! i think there is a wealth of information here, i should be able to troubleshoot it fairly easily now.
Thanks guys!

Dr_Snooz
02-01-2012, 09:31 AM
No one is going to believe me, but I had the fan blades fail on my car. The blade assembly simply cracked and sheared off of the motor spindle. It all looked fine, but wouldn't blow air. I figured it out when I stopped the car one day and it sounded like a refrigerator running under the hood. The motor was whirring away but the blades were sitting stationery. I replaced the blades and it's been great ever since.

DBMaster
02-01-2012, 10:31 AM
^^LOL. That's a first in my book, too. But, the blades are plastic. Anything under the hood made of plastic seems to become brittle over time.

Australian 86
12-13-2012, 03:00 AM
Just as a little update and elaboration on my problem... the fan is working intermittently. Sometimes when i turn the fan switch on it
will work, other times it will trip a circuit and cause my radio to turn of... I generally find if i am gentle while turning it on (don't just
whack it straight up to 4) it will generally work, and also generally its more reliable in cooler weather...
The reason why im suspicious that its not the fan its self is that as soon as the fan properly starts, as long as i don't try and change
the speed up, i will never fail (I guess this could be a torque thing and once its going its fine...).

Just an update, its coming to Summer here again, and my hatch has so much untinted glass that i die whenever i get in the car. So
its time to do some work on the car!

anubix
12-22-2012, 10:15 PM
Just as a little update and elaboration on my problem... the fan is working intermittently. Sometimes when i turn the fan switch on it
will work, other times it will trip a circuit and cause my radio to turn of... I generally find if i am gentle while turning it on (don't just
whack it straight up to 4) it will generally work, and also generally its more reliable in cooler weather...
The reason why im suspicious that its not the fan its self is that as soon as the fan properly starts, as long as i don't try and change
the speed up, i will never fail (I guess this could be a torque thing and once its going its fine...).

Just an update, its coming to Summer here again, and my hatch has so much untinted glass that i die whenever i get in the car. So
its time to do some work on the car!

OKAY! He's talking about the internal cabin fan not the cooling fans on the radiator/condenser.

Sounds to me like you may have a grounding issue.

Dr_Snooz
12-23-2012, 11:27 PM
OKAY! He's talking about the internal cabin fan not the cooling fans on the radiator/condenser.

Sounds to me like you may have a grounding issue.

Somebody needs to SLAP me!

POS carb
12-24-2012, 05:25 AM
Check the interior fuse box, fuse labled "defrost"

POS carb
12-24-2012, 06:05 AM
also it could be the ignition switch. With the engine off put the key "ON" and check blower operation. Play with the ignition switch, turn the key halfway to start and let go, go to acc and back to on... it could be an intermittent fault in the ignition switch